The Mary Jane Croft Appreciation Thread

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the Elsa Maxwell of Westport, there is a potentially interesting book coming out about the real thing: http://www.amazon.com/Inventing-Elsa-Maxwell-Irrepressible-Conquered/dp/0312699441/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348898271&sr=1-9

Well now, THAT sounds interesting indeed! SHE WAS THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTEST OF THEM ALL, or so went the song. Picture Ethel Merman, but with more nerve and sound, LOL!

Well now, THAT sounds interesting indeed! SHE WAS THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTEST OF THEM ALL, or so went the song. Picture Ethel Merman, but with more nerve and sound, LOL!

Have you ever seen a picture of Elsa? She looked like Marie Dressler. Very homely and full bosomed.

Elsa was on Jack Paar and expressed disapproval that Elvis Presley had autographed some young gal's chest.

Hermoine Gingold retorted: "He could write a three-act play on hers!"

Have you ever seen a picture of Elsa? She looked like Marie Dressler. Very homely and full bosomed.

Elsa was on Jack Paar and expressed disapproval that Elvis Presley had autographed some young gal's chest.

Hermoine Gingold retorted: "He could write a three-act play on hers!"

LOL! That's when talk shows were interesting, guests had more to talk about than just shill their latest GIG, people had funny stories and they weren't told in advance with every word planned, they were off the cuff, so comments like the one above happened all the time.

Correction, the hostess with the mostess was Pearl Mesta, more like the character played by Ethel Merman in Call Me Madam. And you're right Neil, If Marie Dressler had a sister, she'd look just like Elsa Maxwell, google her and find out, although why anybody would want to google her, i'll never know, LOL! Another lesbian by the way, she left everything to her partner. She started treasure hunts and scavenger hunts at parties, introduced Rita Hayworth to Aly Khan, and Aritotle Onassis to Maria Callas. She even made moves on Maria herself who was forty years younger than her, but was rebuffed. She was also a songwriter and a gossip columnist among other things. Maybe she competed for news with the other lesbian columnist of the day, Louella Parsons.

Some reports in certain books say she was, maybe she was a flexible bi. I always looked at that pic of her with Lucy and wondered . . . lemme go google her to see of there's any mention of it in her bio.

I'm pretty sure Louella wasn't gay at all; Harriet (her daughter, now deceased) titled her (still unpublished) autobiography "I Never Told Mother" re her lesbianism apparently because she feared her disapproval. I've always wondered why this book has never surfaced; Harriet told Marilyn Beck or some columnist that she was writing the book back around 1979, she passed away in 1983. Perhaps she didn't get that far in writing it but it certainly seems it would have had a potential market given I think it would have been the first Hollywood celebrity autobiography to open discuss the person's homosexuality.

Not improbable though that some "writer" may have gotten Louella mixed up with Harriet in some scandal book, so many of those books are absolute jokes that seem written by fourth-grade dropouts.

I'm pretty sure Louella wasn't gay at all; Harriet (her daughter, now deceased) titled her (still unpublished) autobiography "I Never Told Mother" re her lesbianism apparently because she feared her disapproval. I've always wondered why this book has never surfaced; Harriet told Marilyn Beck or some columnist that she was writing the book back around 1979, she passed away in 1983. Perhaps she didn't get that far in writing it but it certainly seems it would have had a potential market given I think it would have been the first Hollywood celebrity autobiography to open discuss the person's homosexuality.

Not improbable though that some "writer" may have gotten Louella mixed up with Harriet in some scandal book, so many of those books are absolute jokes that seem written by fourth-grade dropouts.

True, but i thought i also saw it on that Wiki LIST of all those in Hollywood or beyond who were gay, lesb or bi, but sure enough both you and Brock seem right, she appeared nowhere. Her bio says she was married THREE times, then again Cary Grant was married FIVE times and contrary to what his daughter thinks, everybody else in Hollywood says he was gay, or bi. Randolph Scott could tell us but he's gone too, LOL!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...