Ann Sothern

There are some early color kinescopes in existence. One I know of is the 1956 Jack and the Beanstalk starring Joel Grey (this aired opposite the I Love Lucy episode "Off to Florida.") Some Ernie Kovacs works exist as lenticular color kinescopes. They appear to be in black and white, but when projected through a prism, they are in color.

Kinescopes were on both 35mm and 16mm, but 16mm was more common because it was less expensive.

I've seen the Lady in the Dark broadcast and Ann's great in it. I think Lady in the Dark has a great score, but there's something about the show that never quite grabs me. Maybe because there aren't many songs in the score. The Ginger Rogers movie cut "My Ship" - the show's most important song! If I can't get too invested in the musical with Ginger or Ann, two of my very favorites, I don't think I could ever been completely won over by the show.

There are some early color kinescopes in existence. One I know of is the 1956 Jack and the Beanstalk starring Joel Grey (this aired opposite the I Love Lucy episode "Off to Florida.") Some Ernie Kovacs works exist as lenticular color kinescopes. They appear to be in black and white, but when projected through a prism, they are in color.

Kinescopes were on both 35mm and 16mm, but 16mm was more common because it was less expensive.

I've seen the Lady in the Dark broadcast and Ann's great in it. I think Lady in the Dark has a great score, but there's something about the show that never quite grabs me. Maybe because there aren't many songs in the score. The Ginger Rogers movie cut "My Ship" - the show's most important song! If I can't get too invested in the musical with Ginger or Ann, two of my very favorites, I don't think I could ever been completely won over by the show.

Were the original network kinescopes shot in 35mm?  You'd think they'd want to keep the highest quality possible for west coast prime time viewers.  Then 16mm prints made for other stations like syndicated shows were up until very late?    Central time got the network feed live an hour earlier, prime time began at 6:30 instead of 7:30.   Not sure about Mountain, the least populated of the continental time zones.   There's a world of difference between the look of 16 and 35.   35 looks like a first generation VHS movie release; 16 looks like a copy made from that on to another VHS recorded in the slow speed (EP).

I've never heard of lenticular color kinescopes.  What was the purpose? 

• 5 years later...

A great story from Stu's Show last night celebrating the 70th Anniversary of I Love Lucy. 

Stu in the 80s gave Lucy a copy of The Ann Sothern Show from 1959. She invited him to stay and watch it with him. 

Right before the sleeping pill scene Lucy asked him to pause the tape and told him this story. 

Apparently Ann and her daughter Tisha did not get along.  Ann found out that her limo driver was having sex with her daughter. I believe Tisha was around 16 at this time.
Ann and Tisha had a huge fight in Ann's dressing room that was right next to Lucy's. There was lots of yelling and things being broken. 
  • Like 1