Can't see a thread for this 1974 movie. Watching this DVD right now. A weird musical comedy, seems to be very disjointed at the beginning. Gets better as it goes along, with some "lucy" laughs thrown in here and there. Bea Arthur is very good, pity they didn't work after this (did they ?)

Can't see a thread for this 1974 movie. Watching this DVD right now. A weird musical comedy, seems to be very disjointed at the beginning. Gets better as it goes along, with some "lucy" laughs thrown in here and there. Bea Arthur is very good, pity they didn't work after this (did they ?)

They did a number together -- dressed as clowns -- "What's So Funny About Mondays?" for the Monday night episode of the week-long special celebrating CBS' 50th Anniversary, "CBS: On the AIr". I think that was it, other than Bea helping pay tribute to Red at her Kennedy Center Honors several years later. :D

Did you know Bette Davis desperately wanted the role of Vera, even offered Warners, her old studio, to bring her own wardobe but the director being Arthur's hubby, thank God that never happened.

OMG, really? I don't think she'd have been good at that one. Thank God for Bea. :marionstrong:

Did you know Bette Davis desperately wanted the role of Vera, even offered Warners, her old studio, to bring her own wardobe but the director being Arthur's hubby, thank God that never happened.

I knew of this one. But didn't Lucy also want Bea too? I remember hearing that too.

I'm glad Bea got the part of Vera in the movie also. Bea always rocked the roles she always was handed. But honestly I still love this film, flaws and all. I think half of it is because of how gorgeous Lucy looks. Especially those costumes, plus it showed us all that she can pull off ANY hair color. Lol.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1334134467' post='36992]

I'm glad Bea got the part of Vera in the movie also. Bea always rocked the roles she always was handed. But honestly I still love this film, flaws and all. I think half of it is because of how gorgeous Lucy looks. Especially those costumes, plus it showed us all that she can pull off ANY hair color. Lol.

Yes, the best thing about MAME is Lucy in the title role and the music that is to die for.

Oh it definitely happened and Miss Davis had this great quote about it, MISS BALL DID NOT WANT ME! The revenge of the fellow student i guess, LOL!

Don't know much about Ms. Davis; but, books indicate that Lucille favored her, as an idol, in her early film career, and before, when she was 'in training' at Rogers' Acting School.

I've been thinking, maybe Ms. Davis was rude to her early on, and the reason for her saying 'Ms. Ball doesn't want me'... (later, of course, MUCH LATER, after Lucille had become a much bigger star, weighing the differences, of course, in TV, that it was Lucille's way of getting back at her, for Ms. Davis' possibly snubbing her years before.

A possibility....what? what? JK

Don't know much about Ms. Davis; but, books indicate that Lucille favored her, as an idol, in her early film career, and before, when she was 'in training' at Rogers' Acting School.

I've been thinking, maybe Ms. Davis was rude to her early on, and the reason for her saying 'Ms. Ball doesn't want me'... (later, of course, MUCH LATER, after Lucille had become a much bigger star, weighing the differences, of course, in TV, that it was Lucille's way of getting back at her, for Ms. Davis' possibly snubbing her years before.

Hmmm, I don't think so; I'm sure being an "idol" of hers early on LB would have loved to work with her at some point: wasn't the hour long "Celebrity Next Door" originally conceived with BD in mind?

I think perhaps our Miss Ball just knew but never stated the obvious: she simply wasn't right for the part! (plus....what was she thinking??!) lucyhorror.JPG

I remember reading somewhere that Bette initially campaigned for the title role! When it became obvious she wasn't going to get that, she set her sights on Vera.

It's hard to imagine 66 year old Bette pulling off Mame, but a fascinating possibility.

Most definitely, Lucy had had an incident with her when she went to see her in a play with Robert Osborne, Ms Davis was her usual bitchy self.

I remember reading somewhere that Bette initially campaigned for the title role! When it became obvious she wasn't going to get that, she set her sights on Vera.

It's hard to imagine 66 year old Bette pulling off Mame, but a fascinating possibility.

I don't get it, everybody in Hollywood knew Lucy had the part, so why would Bette think she could get it, even though it was shot at her old studio.

Geez I've had tons of thoughts of her LBness in various stages of her life and career but in her senior years I never in a millon years thought of her as "hot". Must be that gay thing.... :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

Well I'm not gay and I think she's hot. There, I said it. :lucyhorror: I can appreciate another lady's beauty, especially Lucy's. :)

• Like 1