Eve Arden Sings!

Eve's agent: I've got a picture role for you!

Eve: And...?

Agent: You're paired with Gale Gordon again!

E: And....?

A: You've got a solo song!

E: AND???

A: (ducking) It stars Frankie Avalon and it's called "Sgt. Deadhead"

E: (does patented Eve Arden take and grimace to the audience)Sergeant WHO-head??? (Eve Arden pause) How much does it PAY?

E: (does patented Eve Arden take and grimace to the audience)Sergeant WHO-head??? (Eve Arden pause) How much does it PAY?

Not easy putting across a specialty song like that with so much pizzazz, Eve had lots of Lucy's performance qualities. Very similar styles and talent.

:marionstrong: :marionstrong: :marionstrong:

Thanks for this! Whatever you had, Eve could sell it!

• 7 months later...

Eve's singing voice in "Sgt. Deadhead" is much different than I remember from "MIL"--where she was more a soprano.

I wonder which she used for "Dolly".

I know she did "Auntie", but do you know if she ever did "Mame"?

Many actresses of that era who were of a "certain age" and had any sort of following did either Dolly and Mame, sometimes under less than top-drawer facilities. Does anyone have an idea which gals did BOTH?

Mame certainly requires more agility than Dolly.

Ann Sothern had an extended run as Mame in Honolulu in 1969. She was 60 at the time and weighed somewhere between the countess and "the Whales of August" (insert your crack here........). Somehow I can't see her doing those high kicks.

It's a shame that these performances weren't preserved in some way. Though occasionally one shows up as an audio tape.

I know she did "Auntie", but do you know if she ever did "Mame"?

Carole Cook is supposedly the only actress of note to play the role in both versions. Can anyone prove otherwise?

Many actresses of that era who were of a "certain age" and had any sort of following did either Dolly and Mame, sometimes under less than top-drawer facilities. Does anyone have an idea which gals did BOTH?

Actresses who have done both Mame and Dolly: Ann Miller (Broadway Mame, stock Dolly), Ginger Rogers (Broadway Dolly, London Mame), Michele Lee (Mame at the Hollywood Bowl and in stock, Dolly in a stock tour), Edie Adams, Ruta Lee the movie star, Jane Morgan (Broadway Mame, stock Dolly), Marilyn Maye, and Jo Anne Worley. Betsy Palmer has starred as Dolly and has done Mame, but as Vera opposite Carole Cook as Mame.

For the heck of it: actresses who played Mame at an older age than Lucy: Patrice Munsel (66), Kitty Carisle (68), Lee Merriwether (73).

For the heck of it: actresses who played Mame at an older age than Lucy: Patrice Munsel (66), Kitty Carisle (68), Lee Merriwether (73).

My favorite part of your entire post, i think they went after Lucy for her looks, not her age. While i don't remember what Patrice Munsel looked like, i do know that Kitty always looked exactly the same and Lee looked even younger than she.

Are you limiting this to the actresses who just played the musical Mame?

Because I think Bea Lillie did "Auntie Mame" in her mid-60s.

I saw a one-night only touring company of "Mame", probably 10 years ago that starred Morgan Brittany!!

I assume they kept the motor running so they could hustle Morgan out the back door in case the crowd started to get ugly.

She was probably the right age but seemed more suited to the role of Gloria Upson.

Past a certain point in show biz history, there just wasn't this long roster of famous woman who could play Dolly or Mame and generate any excitement.

Are you limiting this to the actresses who just played the musical Mame?

Because I think Bea Lillie did "Auntie Mame" in her mid-60s.

I was just doing people who did the musical. Bea Lillie did the London production of Auntie Mame and was a replacement in the original Broadway production. Any other 62+ Mames out there?

Past a certain point in show biz history, there just wasn't this long roster of famous woman who could play Dolly or Mame and generate any excitement.

Well, David Merrick never seemed to have trouble for Dolly after Channing left, even asking Lucy and then going all the way to Pearl Bailey.

Dun't bitch till you've seen me in a flamboywant dress and one of those beautiful cloche turbans to cover what's left of my once gorgeous hair.

Doing his 11:00 number:

"I have a feeling that time's too short 'n

I'll write more posts knockin' Gary Morton

Cause that's how Courval feels..."

"I have a feeling that times too short 'n

:marionstrong:

Thankfully for parody writers, I'm sure both subjects start each morning by letting out with a Rudy Vallee squeal.

"I have a feeling that time's too short 'n

"He can get ornery with Little Ricky

And Lotus Bud, Brock and mikidiki

But that's how Courval feels.

I'm ready to ask my ma

'bout the thread where two men go daaahhh

over Justin Bieber....."

Sorry, I can't pass up a parodying opportunity....

"I have a feeling that time's too short and

He'll write more posts knockin' Gary Morton

Cause that's how Courval feels...

He can get ornery with Little Ricky

And Lotus Bud, Brock and mikidiki

But that's how Courval feels.

I'm ready to ask my ma

'bout the thread where two men go daaahhh

over Justin Bieber....."

"He goes skiing

In his pajamas,

and hops bare-back on Fer-

nando Lamas,

who then

Sun

Valley squeals!

'Cause young is not all

Claude Courval feels!!"

Had to finish it out.....MameisClaude, ClaudeIsMame!!

(I expected SOME response from ClaudeMame.... either :marionstrong: , :obrien: or :angry: )

And by the way, my new picture: that ain't Janos Prohaska in there!!

"He goes skiing

In his pajamas,

and hops bare-back on Fer-

nando Lamas,

who then

Sun

Valley squeals!

'Cause young is not all

Claude Courval feels!!"

Had to finish it out.....MameisClaude, ClaudeIsMame!!

(I expected SOME response from ClaudeMame.... either :marionstrong: , :obrien: or :angry: )

And by the way, my new picture: that ain't Janos Prohaska in there!!

Sorry, was never BIG on this thread as i am not as good a writer as you are, but your talent is just unbelievable, i've told you this repeatedly, you had better be a writer in real life or your talents are being wasted.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread because I watched the film version of Voice of the Turtle last night and I think it might be my favorite Eve performance. She is absolutely hilarious. Eve just standing in a doorway is a riot.

It would have been fascinating to see Vivian play this very theatrical, far from Ethel role.

• 6 months later...

Archived