Oh, Those Traveling Props!

Image1.jpg

AHA! The dress Lucy wore in "Lucy & Flip" does indeed appear to be a slightly redesigned version of the gown she wore in "Lucy & Arthur Godfry". The top is nearly identical and the bottom certainly has the same fabric.

Yes...they are indeed the same dress, but slightly altered. I verified it for Tom for the DVD, and yes...the costume today is pretty much in shambles.

Sorry, Lucy-Desi Center...but the word was that they were almost thinking of cutting it up and selling parts to raise needed money....INSTEAD of repairing it properly.

It might be a tough job and expensive to do, but that should be an automatic goal to SAVE items (no matter what condition) not to destroy them.

I hope I was wrong in what I heard!

• Like 1

LOL, good to have multiple comparisons!

Strange, though...looks like they changed the ribbon on her collar from blue to white BEFORE modifying the rest of it, as the ribbon's white in the Carol Burnett one.

It does...but colors fade fast, if it's meant for one quick show....never meant to last for years...so that's a possibility.

Example: A pal of mine owns the beautiful white, modern DuBarry dress (that has pinkish beading at the top and can be seen at the end of the film). As shown in the shots below, it is now almost light tan in person but on film looks absolutely pink. Most likely it has faded over the years, but on film, the color is "pushed" and enhanced. Still, great to know it has survived all of these years!

DuBarryDress_OnFilm.jpg

DuBarryDress_Real.jpg

Oh wow, what a difference. Obviously must be some fading that happened there. But technicolor didn't usually photograph colors the way they actually looked in real life, so it's hard to say exactly what shade it was back in its prime. I know that Judy Garland's famous Dorothy dress was actually pink and blue, not white and blue, but the soft pink was necessary for it to photograph as proper white.

Here is the sorry state of the Godfrey/Wilson dress as of August 2011:

godfreydress-4.jpg

godfreydress-1.jpg

godfreydress-2.jpg

godfreydress-3.jpg[

:(

I remember you posting this a while back and honestly...it's about what I expected. It can be repaired and carefully cleaned, if someone were to restore it and keep it properly.

Hope so.

And of course, the season 5 production notes comfirmed that the "tramp" suit she wore in "Lucy in London" was the same one she used in all of her cello/professor sketches on the road with Desi, in the lost pilot and "The Audition". That's neat!

Hmm, what else...Ann Margaret wearing Ethel's bathrobe on Here's Lucy...

An oldie but goodie subject that has been posted many times...so I trotted it out once again.

Always fun to see!

EthelRobe_Various.jpg

I remember you posting this a while back and honestly...it's about what I expected. It can be repaired and carefully cleaned, if someone were to restore it and keep it properly.

Hope so.

Looks pretty dingy. Did someone have it stuffed in their trunk for years and years or something? Dry clean much? :lucyhorror:

An oldie but goodie subject that has been posted many times...so I trotted it out once again.

Always fun to see!

Speaking of that illustrious bathrobe, a few weeks ago I watched "The Diet" and the bathrobe that the dancer Lucy locks in the closet wears LOOKS very similar to our well-worn and well-recycled bathrobe. Could it be? :lucythrill:

Also, I know the LDC is pinched for cash but I think it would be shameful and sort of crass if they cut up the Southern Belle dress and sold it. I really hope that's just a rumor! I also saw that dress this summer, and while it is indeed in a sad, sad state it deserves to be left intact and, hopefully at some point, restored to its former glory.

Speaking of that illustrious bathrobe, a few weeks ago I watched "The Diet" and the bathrobe that the dancer Lucy locks in the closet wears LOOKS very similar to our well-worn and well-recycled bathrobe. Could it be? :lucythrill:

Also, I know the LDC is pinched for cash but I think it would be shameful and sort of crass if they cut up the Southern Belle dress and sold it. I really hope that's just a rumor! I also saw that dress this summer, and while it is indeed in a sad, sad state it deserves to be left intact and, hopefully at some point, restored to its former glory.

I wouldn't put anything past the LDC. Judging by how they run their Facebook page, it looks like it's run by a staff of monkeys. No...that's an insult to monkeys. lol

Yep...checked that out awhile back and one in the same. It also showed up in The Lucy Show; visible in the living room closet.