Lucy's autograph - The "L"

mikidiki

When did Lucy start signing her name the way she did with the now famous "Lucy" signature? Does anyone know much about her autograph?

Lucille.Ball.autograph.jpg

Dunno what the LLLLLLLllllllllllllll you talkin bout kiddo. I think she always signed that way but she might have emphasized it after the heart logo I Love Lucy thing came out.

When did Lucy start signing her name the way she did with the now famous "Lucy" signature? Does anyone know much about her autograph?

Lucille.Ball.autograph.jpg

I know she started signing with just "Love, Lucy" during the ILL years and it continued after that. I read or watched somewhere that she did it because she thought the fans would enjoy it instead of her normal Lucille Ball signature.

I know she started signing with just "Love, Lucy" during the ILL years and it continued after that. I read or watched somewhere that she did it because she thought the fans would enjoy it instead of her normal Lucille Ball signature.

What was her normal Lucille Ball signature? Does anyone have a photo they can put up to show me?

Looks like a 'Wanda copy' to me; Her 'L's were much nicer, flowing, curly....JK

I needed to correct my post, anyway; I meant Lucille's signature was more flowing in the 'L' part; and the 'wc' seems to indicate Wanda Clark; so, we need to narrow down the date of this note - any idea?

I don't think Wanda worked for Lucille in the 50's; but, she says '25 years plus', and Lucille has been gone 23 years; I'll have to look around - Claude, you have the photographic memory; which book written tells us? Of course, knowing the date of the note would help tremendously, as well.

Anyone? And, DOES IT REALLY MATTER; rumor has it when Lucille wrote notes, she hand-wrote them; this one is typed; and has initials of whom typed it - I'll just bet it was a Wanda-sig...

JK

I needed to correct my post, anyway; I meant Lucille's signature was more flowing in the 'L' part; and the 'wc' seems to indicate Wanda Clark; so, we need to narrow down the date of this note - any idea?

I don't think Wanda worked for Lucille in the 50's; but, she says '25 years plus', and Lucille has been gone 23 years; I'll have to look around - Claude, you have the photographic memory; which book written tells us? Of course, knowing the date of the note would help tremendously, as well.

Anyone? And, DOES IT REALLY MATTER; rumor has it when Lucille wrote notes, she hand-wrote them; this one is typed; and has initials of whom typed it - I'll just bet it was a Wanda-sig...

JK

I don't know when that note is from but I believe Wanda started working for Lucy around 1962.

Lucy's signature did change slightly over the years, especially the "L". In the early days and into the 50's, The L leaned forward slightly and had a small loop at the top, mainly seen in her full name signature. In the 60's to mid 70's the L became swift and smooth, such as the one on the letter above. Late 70's to the end, the loops in the L became bigger and more vertical.

I am not an expert on autographs but seeing so many of Lucy's with associated dates, you start to see a pattern. Plus I just love her signature! I'm not really sure if Wanda would have signed Lucy's name on anything. I would she (Lucy) was too much of a control freak to let someone do that. If anything it would be a stamp or autopen.

Lucy's signature did change slightly over the years, especially the "L". In the early days and into the 50's, The L leaned forward slightly and had a small loop at the top, mainly seen in her full name signature. In the 60's to mid 70's the L became swift and smooth, such as the one on the letter above. Late 70's to the end, the loops in the L became bigger and more vertical.

I am not an expert on autographs but seeing so many of Lucy's with associated dates, you start to see a pattern. Plus I just love her signature! I'm not really sure if Wanda would have signed Lucy's name on anything. I would she (Lucy) was too much of a control freak to let someone do that. If anything it would be a stamp or autopen.

Thanks for that! It would be great to see the difference between her signature over the decades - if you happen to have some photos it would be great if you could upload them! Cheers, Miki p.s - yes, I love her signature as well, especially the L, I do my L's like that now as well! LOL!

Thanks for that! It would be great to see the difference between her signature over the decades - if you happen to have some photos it would be great if you could upload them! Cheers, Miki p.s - yes, I love her signature as well, especially the L, I do my L's like that now as well! LOL!

When I find my autograph book, from my age, then, of 13-1/2, and it's still around somewhere, I will have it . . . . my father took it to the 'intimiate 1956 reception', at which Lucille appeared, to 'reunite with childhood friends', of which he and his best friend were part of, the neighborhood that is, and both she and Desi signed my book, handed to them, by my dad.

Of course, a much quicker way, is for someone here, who worked with her and has something she wrote on for them, and NOT sent them ... would present it.... happiness....neil? tjw? anyone?

JK

• 2 months later...

Did they have those back in her day, where older stars spend their day singing for money?

I don't think so. It's usually when they would go out in public and get mobbed. Lucy usually said no politely in mob situations because she wanted to be fair to everyone, if one person got an autograph then the whole crowd would want one.

I don't think so. It's usually when they would go out in public and get mobbed. Lucy usually said no politely in mob situations because she wanted to be fair to everyone, if one person got an autograph then the whole crowd would want one.

That's what i thought, BUT, as someone said in their book, there would be loads of requests left at her office, home, hotel room slid under the door asking for her to sign this or that all the time. On top of all the times people thrust their autograph books or any paper, picture or whatever they could find in her face through the years.

That's what i thought, BUT, as someone said in their book, there would be loads of requests left at her office, home, hotel room slid under the door asking for her to sign this or that all the time. On top of all the times people thrust their autograph books or any paper, picture or whatever they could find in her face through the years.

See this is the thing that confuses me. I'm sure she signed a lot through the years. But how can one guarentee that us fans have a true autograph? Haha. I do have a COA for 1988 but we never know and it certainly does look like her signature. I'll post a picture of it asap.

Also I think that picture above of the letter is an autopen fer sure.

Well what about that famously misunderstood story about that guy that brought a very unflattering photo of her and she politely asked him to get another photo for her to sign. That story sounds as if it was at a signing. Where is Mr Watson to answer this! Haha.

Mr. Watson was there when that happened and clarified this story awhile back somewhere on another thread...

See this is the thing that confuses me. I'm sure she signed a lot through the years. But how can one guarentee that us fans have a true autograph? Haha. I do have a COA for 1988 but we never know and it certainly does look like her signature. I'll post a picture of it asap.

Also I think that picture above of the letter is an autopen fer sure.

Well, that's the thing, you NEVER know for sure, like when i got my autographed picture from Lucy, i just assumed she was too busy to bother and it had been signed by Wanda. Now i'm pretty sure Lucy N E V E R signed autographs at a signing per se. First of all, i think that's a big come down for any celebrity, you go to these shows where they pay you for your autograph so you spend the day there signing and it's pretty demeaning.

Well, that's the thing, you NEVER know for sure, like when i got my autographed picture from Lucy, i just assumed she was too busy to bother and it had been signed by Wanda. Now i'm pretty sure Lucy N E V E R signed autographs at a signing per se. First of all, i think that's a big come down for any celebrity, you go to these shows where they pay you for your autograph so you spend the day there signing and it's pretty demeaning.

I know what you are saying. We need an autograph Lucy expert here! Also Wanda's 'L' had more droopy of loops than Lucy also.

I know what you are saying. We need an autograph Lucy expert here! Also Wanda's 'L' had more droopy of loops than Lucy also.

Then there was that time Lucy saw Wanda looked tired so she sent her fan mail to Lorna Luft who autographed Lucy's name for her. LOL! But Lorna was so used to doing L's that she did a great job, when they got them, nobody went WHAT THE L?

Well that's the nice thing, it never came to that for her, she never needed the money badly enough to have to do one of those autograph shows -- and if anyone thinks these people want to do them just to "Meet the People", think again! :D

Curiously, for the first time in almost a decade, this next (this weekend's) Hollywood Autograph Show will not take place at the Burbank Marriott, there's some kind of "dispute" going on with the backer, so it'll be out at LAX's Convention Center. Ugh!

Well that's the nice thing, it never came to that for her, she never needed the money badly enough to have to do one of those autograph shows -- and if anyone thinks these people want to do them just to "Meet the People", think again! :D

Curiously, for the first time in almost a decade, this next (this weekend's) Hollywood Autograph Show will not take place at the Burbank Marriott, there's some kind of "dispute" going on with the backer, so it'll be out at LAX's Convention Center. Ugh!

The only ones i'd go for, the male influences of my youth are mostly all gone, Ted Bessell of That Girl, my fave Bill Bixby of Courtship of Eddie's father, dunno if Robert Conrad's still alive of Wild Wild West.

Archived