You are DELIBERATELY NOT stirring your coffee!

Okay, we've had the topic on the little things you love about particular episodes and movies, but what about the little things that get under your skin, give you homeowners' heebie jeebies, or otherwise sound like a cow pulling its foot out of the mud?

Here are two that immediately spring to mind:

MAME: It drives me CRAZY (!!!) that the photo of Mame Patrick's late father has in his office at the beginning of the picture is from a SCENE IN THE FILM that HASN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET! :angry:

LUCY & HER GENUINE TWIMBY: Kim's question, "Edna St. Vincent Millay?" comes out of nowhere and just sets the tith on etch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BROCK: What do you mean it hasn't happened yet? That first scene is the reading of the will. The death of the father had already happened.

The photo is a still of Mame from the "Open A New Window" number where she and Patrick are watching the Burlesque show. That scene happens a considerable amount of time after the reading of the will.

The photo is a still of Mame from the "Open A New Window" number where she and Patrick are watching the Burlesque show. That scene happens a considerable amount of time after the reading of the will.

LOL! Oh ok - I really never thought of that - I just took it as being a photo of our dear Mame. But in answer to your question it's hard to pick anything that really gets under my skin. Because it's a comedy show very often things will seem stupid and completely unrealistic but if I had to pick a couple of things in general that irritates me it's Gale's anger throughout all the episodes - he never seemed to do anything except get annoyed so easily even if there was nothing to get upset about. Even when something goes right he still doesn't seem happy.

Secondly, I never really liked it when Lucy is power tripping in episodes / episodes where she thought she was better than anyone else - it annoys me watching her act out those parts. She does it in such a way that you just want to slap her haha! eg. Lucy The Meter Maid. She really annoys me in that episode! I actually find episodes like that difficult to watch for some reason.

Okay, we've had the topic on the little things you love about particular episodes and movies, but what about the little things that get under your skin, give you homeowners' heebie jeebies, or otherwise sound like a cow pulling its foot out of the mud?

Here are two that immediately spring to mind:

MAME: It drives me CRAZY (!!!) that the photo of Mame Patrick's late father has in his office at the beginning of the picture is from a SCENE IN THE FILM that HASN'T EVEN HAPPENED YET! :angry:

LUCY & HER GENUINE TWIMBY: Kim's question, "Edna St. Vincent Millay?" comes out of nowhere and just sets the tith on etch.

Wot you minn? The one in the fur outfit and the cloche hat?

In an otherwise good episode of Lucy and Harry's Pot, we have a not funny Lucy tantrum when she is trying to make the pot and throws it at the wall.

Love your new avatar by the way, Lucy always looked so lovely in that type of flowing dress. If only SHE had worn that sparkly one in the Fashion show instead of Mrs Forest Tucker.

How about that RIDICULOUS line reguarding sexy Laurence Welk: "Boy he turns on more people than warm postum." WTF does that mean?

I have said before: The Milton Berle Hour Long Show... after he is punched out.. I pretty much shut it off

I don't like it when in Here's Lucy season 2 (and this is from memory since I destroyed my dvd set accidentally) where Lucy is trying to keep Kim away from a guy buy loosing the rope he had tied to their wayward raft.. completly unmotivated and not very funny

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed something the other night.. In the HL episode of Lucy's Genuine Twimby, when the two chairs (the original and the copy) are placed side by side, they are NOT identical, but are similar.. now how can you replace a chair with a "similar" instead of an IDENTICAL chair.. this is the kinda stuff that happens in later years that bothers me!!!! Look at the episode again guys.. the chair seats are identical, the height of the chairs is about the same, the color of the wood of the chairs is simiilar, but the BACKS of the chairs are totally different! Why couldn't they get 2 identical chairs?!

And another thing that bothers me.. in TLS, when our girl is scratching her back on that GARBONZO scupture, and we see that WHITE tape holing that loose BLACK finger, I just wanna scream CUT!

... NOW I know we can come up with all kinds of excuses.. people didn't have high definition tvs back then, people weren't gonna get the dvds and watch them 24/7... but come ON.. they had to know people would want to watch LUCY no mater how many times she was on... and while I would have overlooked this kinda stuff in the beginning of a BW I Love Lucy .. a color LS or HL is just unacceptable... especially when you realize that she was KNOWN for churning out quality programming and had her OWN STUDIO... I kinda blame Gary for this.. and when this jazz happens in later shows I am bothered because.. A. Your can't stay young forever.. and while you are young frivilous stuff is cute and funny, but B. When you get older you have to bring the goods and be letter perfect and have to set your sights higher to achieve the desired effect... and those 2 things.. white tape on a black finger and different chairs with the same seat pattern doesn't CUT IT in my book.

I noticed something the other night.. In the HL episode of Lucy's Genuine Twimby, when the two chairs (the original and the copy) are placed side by side, they are NOT identical, but are similar.. now how can you replace a chair with a "similar" instead of an IDENTICAL chair.. this is the kinda stuff that happens in later years that bothers me!!!! Look at the episode again guys.. the chair seats are identical, the height of the chairs is about the same, the color of the wood of the chairs is simiilar, but the BACKS of the chairs are totally different! Why couldn't they get 2 identical chairs?!

And another thing that bothers me.. in TLS, when our girl is scratching her back on that GARBONZO scupture, and we see that WHITE tape holing that loose BLACK finger, I just wanna scream CUT!

... NOW I know we can come up with all kinds of excuses.. people didn't have high definition tvs back then, people weren't gonna get the dvds and watch them 24/7... but come ON.. they had to know people would want to watch LUCY no mater how many times she was on... and while I would have overlooked this kinda stuff in the beginning of a BW I Love Lucy .. a color LS or HL is just unacceptable... especially when you realize that she was KNOWN for churning out quality programming and had her OWN STUDIO... I kinda blame Gary for this.. and when this jazz happens in later shows I am bothered because.. A. Your can't stay young forever.. and while you are young frivilous stuff is cute and funny, but B. When you get older you have to bring the goods and be letter perfect and have to set your sights higher to achieve the desired effect... and those 2 things.. white tape on a black finger and different chairs with the same seat pattern doesn't CUT IT in my book.

Ok, i get what you're saying and you're right of course, BUT, they weren't curing cancer here, they were doing a twenty five minute show in four days. For some of them, it was like the 500th show, it had all been done before, they were churning them out by rote as that book author said. Look at Mad Men, the attention to detail and authenticity is incredible but the show is boring as hell. This show was entertaining but the rest well, there was little time and interest in making it the best ever.

I think you are giving WAAYY too much lee way here.. the things I pointed out were really unacceptable at this stage of the game.. seriously... her standard should not have allowed those mishaps...

Excuse me but her job was to act and be funny, let's not blame HER for those lousy writers and the technicians who did not do their job properly, blame the producers for that. I understand she was the executive producer but that was a title, she had enough work making caviar out of baloney. If you want REAL shit, give it to her friend Bob Hope who was doing the worst sketches in the history of the medium. Unfortunately being a frequent guest of his, she started thinking crap was suitable when it was not.

And another thing, you're right about the fact that now everybody sees every move, every action 24/7 on restored and much too clear dvds so every error is magnified ridiculously. When these shows were seen originally, none of this was going on so nobody noticed any of it. Nobody was more shocked than i was when we saw Lucy smoking a cigarette next to the chimney in the living room ten feet away from the Vitameatavegamin set up, but we only found out about this decades later now that we watch the show with a microscope. When people remember to watch the show and just enjoy the comedy and not nitpic at every error then it will be seen again the way it was meant to be. Don't take offfence here, i'm getting angry because i myself have been the biggest critic of the one single most important problem plaguing any of her shows over the years and that was C O N T I N U I T Y . When i saw Hazel today walking in front of the house as their new Cadillac was delivered, i thought, hey, why didn't Hazel talk to Lucy, they've been together in so many instances over the decades, it was even distracting to the scene. Now it was, back then it wasn't. Before we were inundated with every false move, every instance where Mary Jane was Cynthia Harcourt or Betty Ramsey and Ralph Nelson was a radio game show host or waiter or Mr Benjamin from Hollywood. Or Carolyn or Lillian Appleby or Lucy not even knowing her own son's name etc . . . LOL!

And another thing, you're right about the fact that now everybody sees every move, every action 24/7 on restored and much too clear dvds so every error is magnified ridiculously. When these shows were seen originally, none of this was going on so nobody noticed any of it. Nobody was more shocked than i was when we saw Lucy smoking a cigarette next to the chimney in the living room ten feet away from the Vitameatavegamin set up, but we only found out about this decades later now that we watch the show with a microscope. When people remember to watch the show and just enjoy the comedy and not nitpic at every error then it will be seen again the way it was meant to be. Don't take offfence here, i'm getting angry because i myself have been the biggest critic of the one single most important problem plaguing any of her shows over the years and that was C O N T I N U I T Y . When i saw Hazel today walking in front of the house as their new Cadillac was delivered, i thought, hey, why didn't Hazel talk to Lucy, they've been together in so many instances over the decades, it was even distracting to the scene. Now it was, back then it wasn't. Before we were inundated with every false move, every instance where Mary Jane was Cynthia Harcourt or Betty Ramsey and Ralph Nelson was a radio game show host or waiter or Mr Benjamin from Hollywood. Or Carolyn or Lillian Appleby or Lucy not even knowing her own son's name etc . . . LOL!

I KNOW what YOU are saying too... but this thread is about what sets our teth on etch... I am not drawn out of the sceen due to these mishaps.. I just think it is unusual for something so BLATENT to slip through the cracks! And as far as CONTINUITY.... well... don't even try to connect the dots!

I KNOW what YOU are saying too... but this thread is about what sets our teth on etch... I am not drawn out of the sceen due to these mishaps.. I just think it is unusual for something so BLATENT to slip through the cracks! And as far as CONTINUITY.... well... don't even try to connect the dots!

You're right of course, my constant need to defend her got the best of me, sorry. I was watching the First Stop episode last night and when she gets outta the car to get some of Aunt Pauline's whatevers she is definitely NOT wearing the same outfit she is in the car, you'd think they'd catch something so obvious also. But like i said before, most people were watching the show on grainy old picture tubes and none of that was evident at the time, LOL!

You're right of course, my constant need to defend her got the best of me, sorry. I was watching the First Stop episode last night and when she gets outta the car to get some of Aunt Pauline's whatevers she is definitely NOT wearing the same outfit she is in the car, you'd think they'd catch something so obvious also. But like i said before, most people were watching the show on grainy old picture tubes and none of that was evident at the time, LOL!

Yeah.. and why are the headlights on the car on??? I'm sure there is carboard or something over them so they won't reflect the lights .. but it looks like they are on doesn't it...Mister Skinner wasted his time taking off the steering wheel.. when he could have let the battery wear down!

And this YOUR RIGHT OF COURSE jazz is gonna give me a big head! That's something I don't hear every day! LOL

Yeah.. and why are the headlights on the car on??? I'm sure there is carboard or something over them so they won't reflect the lights .. but it looks like they are on doesn't it...Mister Skinner wasted his time taking off the steering wheel.. when he could have let the battery wear down!

And this YOUR RIGHT OF COURSE jazz is gonna give me a big head! That's something I don't hear every day! LOL

Well, i like to admit when i'm wrong, as i get older, it gets easier. Funny, i noticed the fake headlights right away, not only is there no glass windshield on the car, but they also had to remove the headlights as the glass might have reflected the cameras i suppose. Even Everybody Loves Raymond still removed the glass doors on the kitchen cabinets so as to not have that same problem so they never did come up with something to solve that problem.

• 2 years later...

Though "Ricky Sells the Car" is a very funny episode, I do take issue with part of the plot. Given how ecstatic Lucy was when Ricky purchased the car, and her eagerness to learn how to drive, I find it hard to believe she was so blasé about Ricky selling it. Her only concern seemed to be how they were going to get home. No temper tantrums or crying fits or anything. "SELL OUR BEAUTIFUL CAR!? WAAAH!"

Also, she never got the salad she ordered at the Brown Derby. A waitress forgot my salad a few weeks ago and I brought it up immediately. Then again, I didn't have Bill Holden sitting in the booth behind us to distract me.

Archived