Happy Birthday, Carole Cook!

Ok, back to Carole, for corn sakes, dun`t let her see today`s banner honoring Desi Arnaz jr and his mom, actually playing with him, it will shatter all of Carole`s illusions, LOL! I know i had said i was no longer going to bring that up, but you just trust it in my face and i just about lost it, LOL! Awww right, i lost it a long time ago, i know!

Do you remember where you left it?? :lucyhaha:

Ok, back to Carole, for corn sakes, dun`t let her see today`s banner honoring Desi Arnaz jr and his mom, actually playing with him, it will shatter all of Carole`s illusions, LOL! I know i had said i was no longer going to bring that up, but you just trust it in my face and i just about lost it, LOL!

-_- ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz....

"The Women " was (as I once heard a gushing fan say to Carol Channing with the nelliest intonation ever "Oh, Miss Channing , you look..") FA-BOO!!

As Sylvia Fowler, Lucie Arnaz practically stole the show! This is a role she was born to play. She has a comedic style that's so different from her mother, except I caught one Lucy-like take she did.

Her sidekick, played by Phyllis Poovah in the movie, was played by an actress who was listed in the program as 'surprise guest'. She came on to applause but I didn't know who she was until the 2nd act when I realized it was Lorna Luft.

And the main star of the show playing Mary Haines, the Norma Shearer part was ....CHARLES BUSCH!--whose hilarious interpretation is "slightly" different than Shearers. He was hilarious.

This was a reading with scripts on music stands, but the actresses put a lot into it so the fact that it's not staged didn't affect how good it was.

The person who got the most sustained entrance applause was Kaye Ballard who did a fabulous job--almost off script, with Carole Cook a close second. Why can't these people get actual PAYING gigs anymore? Assume Kaye and Carole would work if they were offered roles. Perhaps neither is agile enough for "dancing withthe stars" but there are lots of things they could do.

Can't remember the character's names, but Carole was the countess (Mary Boland), Kaye Ballard was Mary Haine's wise mother (Lucile Watson), Peri (last name?) from Frazier was Chyrstal Allen (Joan Crawford), Michelle Lee was the Paulette Goddard part, "Mo" of Kathy and Mo was Marjorie Main. Florence Henderson had a small role as a gossip columnist but was on stage just at the beginning and then again at the end.

I went to the schmoozing party afterwards. I've gotten to be a pretty good schmoozer. My trick: you approach these stars with casual conversation as if you know them. They're not SURE if you've met before or not so to hedge their bets, they're very conversational and relaxed back at you. (And if I make a bad impression I always part with: "yes, and remember my name: Joey Alamo")

Lucie, once again, looked AMAZING. As does Michele Lee who has to be approaching 70! By "just people like you and me" standards, neither Lucie or Michele look much over 40!

I was talking to Larry Luckinbill before I realized who he was. He's doing another one-man show here some time soon "Clarence Darrow Tonight"....He's done LBJ, T. Roosevelt and Hemingway. What's next "Claude Courval Tonight"? (one I'd fly down to see; and there's SO much good material, the script would practically write itself)

Until I looked 'Women" up on imdb, I didn't know there was a 2008 remake. Anyone seen it? Any good?

I did some 'roving reporter'- type videotaping of the after-party which I'll youtube when I get home. Unfortunately I didn't catch any of Joey's attention-getting shenanigans.

Next: Monday night's Marvin Hamlish tribute/concert.

Will be soaking my elbows in epson salts until then.

Neil, thank you so much for the report! I was dying to know who played each role. Lucie is perfect for Sylvia (although she could have been either of the three leads). I'm surprised about Michele Lee and Peri Gilpin. I would have thought they would have played the opposite part. I love both of them. There is nobody more perfect for the Countess than Carole. I'm so glad you had a good time.

The 2008 Women remake was not good. It's pretty much completely different from the original source material. Cloris Leachman (as Meg Ryan's housekeeper) is the best one in it. There was a limited run Broadway revival of the play a decade ago with Cynthia Nixon (Mary), Kristin Johnston (Sylvia), Jennifer Tilly (Crystal), Jennifer Coolidge (Edith), and Rue McClanahan (the Countess). which, I think, was well received.

I was talking to Larry Luckinbill before I realized who he was. He's doing another one-man show here some time soon "Clarence Darrow Tonight"....He's done LBJ, T. Roosevelt and Hemingway. What's next "Claude Courval Tonight"? (one I'd fly down to see; and there's SO much good material, the script would practically write itself)

Much too old for that part, maybe Tom Hardy, or maybe James Franco after a Monty Clift like car accident.

"The Women " was (as I once heard a gushing fan say to Carol Channing with the nelliest intonation ever "Oh, Miss Channing , you look..") FA-BOO!!

As Sylvia Fowler, Lucie Arnaz practically stole the show! This is a role she was born to play. She has a comedic style that's so different from her mother, except I caught one Lucy-like take she did.

Her sidekick, played by Phyllis Poovah in the movie, was played by an actress who was listed in the program as 'surprise guest'. She came on to applause but I didn't know who she was until the 2nd act when I realized it was Lorna Luft.

And the main star of the show playing Mary Haines, the Norma Shearer part was ....CHARLES BUSCH!--whose hilarious interpretation is "slightly" different than Shearers. He was hilarious.

This was a reading with scripts on music stands, but the actresses put a lot into it so the fact that it's not staged didn't affect how good it was.

The person who got the most sustained entrance applause was Kaye Ballard who did a fabulous job--almost off script, with Carole Cook a close second. Why can't these people get actual PAYING gigs anymore? Assume Kaye and Carole would work if they were offered roles. Perhaps neither is agile enough for "dancing withthe stars" but there are lots of things they could do.

Can't remember the character's names, but Carole was the countess (Mary Boland), Kaye Ballard was Mary Haine's wise mother (Lucile Watson), Peri (last name?) from Frazier was Chyrstal Allen (Joan Crawford), Michelle Lee was the Paulette Goddard part, "Mo" of Kathy and Mo was Marjorie Main. Florence Henderson had a small role as a gossip columnist but was on stage just at the beginning and then again at the end.

I went to the schmoozing party afterwards. I've gotten to be a pretty good schmoozer. My trick: you approach these stars with casual conversation as if you know them. They're not SURE if you've met before or not so to hedge their bets, they're very conversational and relaxed back at you. (And if I make a bad impression I always part with: "yes, and remember my name: Joey Alamo")

Lucie, once again, looked AMAZING. As does Michele Lee who has to be approaching 70! By "just people like you and me" standards, neither Lucie or Michele look much over 40!

Until I looked 'Women" up on imdb, I didn't know there was a 2008 remake. Anyone seen it? Any good?

I did some 'roving reporter'- type videotaping of the after-party which I'll youtube when I get home. Unfortunately I didn't catch any of Joey's attention-getting shenanigans.

Next: Monday night's Marvin Hamlish tribute/concert.

Will be soaking my elbows in epson salts until then.

I so agree, why can't they give parts to some of these terrific actresses instead of the no talent bums that abound in show biz today?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Martha and Phyllis were both Broadway Dollys.  Carole headed the Australian tour that ran 2 years, I think.  Ann was Mame on Broadway but not Dolly.  She may have toured with it.  Phyllis's run was the shortest of the 7 Broadway Dollys, between Pearl Bailey and Ethel Merman and by all accounts gave a good performance.  She was a passable singer and played the character without injecting her own schtick.  Although I think as an audience member I might have been disappointed if she hadn't punctuated at least one laugh line with an  "Ah-HAAAA!" laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Just enjoyed Carole again appearing for like her 38th time at this year's S.T.A.G.E. last Saturday night. 

Here's some info about it (and others who appeared) for those unfamiliar.  While the reason for doing this annual show is getting "old" -- and attendance seemed to be down noticeably for the first time in years -- Carole -- despite being well into her 80s now -- is still always one of the highlights of all the performers of the evening (and she historically is always "next to closing")!!

And yes, she did the drum bit again and it always gets a huge laugh, as does her "playing with" the interpreter for the deaf!!

3110-400x283.jpg

While this year's show wasn't as memorable as some, it was still a WUNDAFUL evening full of multi-talented performers giving their all for a great cause.  There was also a first-time auctioneer yours truly had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with who was as friendly as charming as he is handsome and talented....not that I'm "biased"!

11163744_10205057690140505_2699529521612

Greg in Hollywood the entertainment reporter also attended the event and the following text and pictures are excerpted from his site and the review he did on the event -- Enjoy!

327.jpg

"It was a week ago that I attended the annual S.T.A.G.E. show benefiting AIDS Project LA but waited to post my recap because these really nice photos from the star-studded show just became available yesterday.

"This is always a first-rate show and this year was no exception with Florence Henderson, Sally Struthers, Carole Cook, Lea Thompson, David Engel, Nancy Dussault, Robert Morse, Mary Jo Catlett, Donna Theodore, Jason Graae, Sally Kellerman, Thea Gill and Scott Nevins, among others, performing Broadway tunes.

334-400x199.jpg

"The absolute highlight for me was the appearance of 100-year-old Patricia Morison who was the lead in the original production of Cole Porter’s Kiss Me, Kate.

"Miss Morison performed So In Love from Kiss Me Kate then was presented with the S.T.A.G.E. Producers Award ‘for her compassion, commitment and generosity in the fight against AIDS.’

286-400x543.jpg

"Then the entire company of the 31st annual S.T.A.G.E. event (it stands for Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event) took to the stage and sang Miss Morison Happy Birthday in one of the evening’s most special moments.

"While I was well aware of the legendary talents of the likes of such established stage and TV stars as Miss Henderson and Miss Cook, I was so pleasantly surprised at how good Miss Thompson was performing The Girl in the Mirror and Mr. Nevins (The People’s Couch) was absolute dynamite doing Revolutionary Costume for Today from Grey Gardens.

"There was also a fashion show that featured the likes of Greg Louganis, Craig Ramsay and Peter Marc Jacobson and, of course, Miss Edith Head! What? That famed costume designer died in 1982? Well you could’ve fooled me! She was really Susan Claassen as Miss Head but I have to confess to being unnerved when I saw her in the lobby of the Saban Theatre before the show. Spotted her out of the corner of my eye and whispered to a friend: ‘Edith head is dead right?’ We had a good laugh then I met Susan/Edith and had my photo taken with her after she gave me her fashion seal of approval.

"Also before the show, I ran into hunky Days of Our Lives star Eric Marstolf who won a well-deserved Emmy last year for his performance as Brady Black on the soap. We chatted over cocktails at the VIP party and Eric told me he had just been called the day before to serve as the live auctioneer because the original choice, Charo, had an emergency and had to fly home to Hawaii.

"Nothing against Charo but I’d prefer to Eric Martsolf any day!"

11210512_10153109931771387_3675036491591

http://greginhollywood.com/my-night-at-the-star-studded-s-t-a-g-e-benefit-to-broadway-from-hollywood-with-love-115437

Just enjoyed Carole again appearing for like her 38th time at this year's S.T.A.G.E. last Saturday night. 

Here's some info about it (and others who appeared) for those unfamiliar.  While the reason for doing this annual show is getting "old" -- and attendance seemed to be down noticeably for the first time in years -- Carole -- despite being well into her 80s now -- is still always one of the highlights of all the performers of the evening (and she historically is always "next to closing")!!

And yes, she did the drum bit again and it always gets a huge laugh, as does her "playing with" the interpreter for the deaf!!

3110-400x283.jpg

While this year's show wasn't as memorable as some, it was still a WUNDAFUL evening full of multi-talented performers giving their all for a great cause.  There was also a first-time auctioneer yours truly had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with who was as friendly as charming as he is handsome and talented....not that I'm "biased"!

11163744_10205057690140505_2699529521612

Greg in Hollywood the entertainment reporter also attended the event and the following text and pictures are excerpted from his site and the review he did on the event -- Enjoy!

327.jpg

"It was a week ago that I attended the annual S.T.A.G.E. show benefiting AIDS Project LA but waited to post my recap because these really nice photos from the star-studded show just became available yesterday.

"This is always a first-rate show and this year was no exception with Florence Henderson, Sally Struthers, Carole Cook, Lea Thompson, David Engel, Nancy Dussault, Robert Morse, Mary Jo Catlett, Donna Theodore, Jason Graae, Sally Kellerman, Thea Gill and Scott Nevins, among others, performing Broadway tunes.

334-400x199.jpg

"The absolute highlight for me was the appearance of 100-year-old Patricia Morison who was the lead in the original production of Cole Porter’s Kiss Me, Kate.

"Miss Morison performed So In Love from Kiss Me Kate then was presented with the S.T.A.G.E. Producers Award ‘for her compassion, commitment and generosity in the fight against AIDS.’

286-400x543.jpg

"Then the entire company of the 31st annual S.T.A.G.E. event (it stands for Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event) took to the stage and sang Miss Morison Happy Birthday in one of the evening’s most special moments.

"While I was well aware of the legendary talents of the likes of such established stage and TV stars as Miss Henderson and Miss Cook, I was so pleasantly surprised at how good Miss Thompson was performing The Girl in the Mirror and Mr. Nevins (The People’s Couch) was absolute dynamite doing Revolutionary Costume for Today from Grey Gardens.

"There was also a fashion show that featured the likes of Greg Louganis, Craig Ramsay and Peter Marc Jacobson and, of course, Miss Edith Head! What? That famed costume designer died in 1982? Well you could’ve fooled me! She was really Susan Claassen as Miss Head but I have to confess to being unnerved when I saw her in the lobby of the Saban Theatre before the show. Spotted her out of the corner of my eye and whispered to a friend: ‘Edith head is dead right?’ We had a good laugh then I met Susan/Edith and had my photo taken with her after she gave me her fashion seal of approval.

"Also before the show, I ran into hunky Days of Our Lives star Eric Marstolf who won a well-deserved Emmy last year for his performance as Brady Black on the soap. We chatted over cocktails at the VIP party and Eric told me he had just been called the day before to serve as the live auctioneer because the original choice, Charo, had an emergency and had to fly home to Hawaii.

"Nothing against Charo but I’d prefer to Eric Martsolf any day!"

11210512_10153109931771387_3675036491591

http://greginhollywood.com/my-night-at-the-star-studded-s-t-a-g-e-benefit-to-broadway-from-hollywood-with-love-115437

Joey:  Wonder why, now that she is living in CA, Lucie Arnaz doesn't appear at this event....any idea? 

You look very DAPPER, by the way....Loving you, and thanks for sharing, JK

• Like 1

Joey:  Wonder why, now that she is living in CA, Lucie Arnaz doesn't appear at this event....any idea? 

You look very DAPPER, by the way....Loving you, and thanks for sharing, JK

Awwwwwww you're so sweet Joyce! Thank you and frankly as to your question.... that's a good question and I have no idea!!! :peachonthebeach:

Just thought of a 'rib-tickler' in regard to this topic - Carole Cook....

We've ALL heard her story of Lucille meeting and 're-naming' her for her career name:

Carole says:  "I would have said yes to Lassie!!!!"

Following my train of thought, if Lucille had suggested Lassie, it would have had to be LARsie!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...