What's Your Favorite Lucy Things to Collect?

Lucyilove

What are your favorite Lucy memorabilia and momentos to collect?

For me I think it's clippings, since it's history as it's happening. I've collected Lucy clippings since a kid and while I don't have everything from the early days, still I still have thousands of them. Watch out or I might end up a Lucy author myself sorting this stuff out.

I also love rare television footage like her various talk show and variety show appearances. Of course I love collecting the seasons of her various sitcoms and her movies.

I've gotten out of collecting movie memorabilia and actual photos, you could own a thousand stills of Lucy and still just be a drop in the bucket of what's out there.

Have never purchased any of the dolls or collector's plates, etc. not that I don't think they aren't appealing, they are but there's so much out there but so little $$$. I didn't even buy the recent TV GUIDE cover since it wasn't all that much on her in the magazine, you could get the information on the net, etc. Lucy isn't my only favorite and I do have a couple of other classic movie actresses whom I collect so I'm sure many here have much larger Lucy collections.

The cool thing about the internet is there's a lot of stuff you can collect for free now, like pictures to save on your computer or discs, print out, etc. plus a good 100+ old radio shows with Lucy one can download for nothing and save on your computer or burn onto cds.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a history nut when it comes to Lucy, so books. Even just talking to you all brings so much more knowledge on her.

Plus her TV series and movies. Being able to see each and every episode and movie is a thrill for me. I basically should say any appearance she's ever done. I don't collect them physically but through my mind I do.

I collect anything from dolls, tins, pictures, ornaments, clothing, everything.

But old magazines and comics are a treasure trove for me. I'm building my TV Guide collection up currently. I love the vintage things. My bedroom is becoming a Lucy museum I swear!

I would also like to get a few more of Lucy's writing, whether autographs or notes.

I collect everything except for the newest stuff, unless there is some unique quality to it -- such as a rarely used image or some interesting artwork. But, I really love the pre-2000 stuff, when products were more creative. As a sentimentalist, my favourite items in my collection are things that either have a personal connection to Lucy and the Fab Five (such as her keys to Snowmass or Gale's TLS scripts), or are associated with a favourite personal memory which might not be worth much on their own. Items falling into the latter category include the last of the large size Hamilton plates, which was the very first Lucy collectible I ever found in a store, or Tom Watson's Loving Lucy (the first Lucy item I EVER bought!), and an autographed photo of Charles Lane a friend on this board went out of his way to get for me and he died three days later.

I'm a history nut when it comes to Lucy, so books. Even just talking to you all brings so much more knowledge on her.

Plus her TV series and movies. Being able to see each and every episode and movie is a thrill for me. I basically should say any appearance she's ever done. I don't collect them physically but through my mind I do.

But old magazines and comics are a treasure trove for me. I'm building my TV Guide collection up currently. I love the vintage things. My bedroom is becoming a Lucy museum I swear!

I would also like to get a few more of Lucy's writing, whether autographs or notes.

There are some terrific lengthy magazine articles that are very insightful on her, like the LOOK article, same as her book, you can hear her in every quote.

I collect everything except for the newest stuff, unless there is some unique quality to it -- such as a rarely used image or some interesting artwork. But, I really love the pre-2000 stuff, when products were more creative. As a sentimentalist, my favourite items in my collection are things that either have a personal connection to Lucy and the Fab Five (such as her keys to Snowmass or Gale's TLS scripts), or are associated with a favourite personal memory which might not be worth much on their own. Items falling into the latter category include the last of the large size Hamilton plates, which was the very first Lucy collectible I ever found in a store, or Tom Watson's Loving Lucy (the first Lucy item I EVER bought!), and an autographed photo of Charles Lane a friend on this board went out of his way to get for me and he died three days later.

You have the KEYS to her Snowmass condo?????

Two terrific new Lucy pics by the way hon!

I thought about what Lucy related items I own, & I have more DVDs & books than anything else. (If you write that Lucy book, Lucyilove, I'll buy it! :) )

Whenever I am at a flea market I always go through old magazines, looking for Lucy anywhere on the cover. Haven't found any yet, though. I would love to have, on a DVD set, all of the interviews Lucy ever did. (And the bonus features could be all of Viv's interviews!)

I have two B&W pictures & some tin signs, but I really like the cup & saucer I bought that is in the same ivy pattern that was used on ILL. Something about holding it & knowing that this is how it felt in their hands when they were used by Lucy, Desi, Viv & Bill on the show.

They are, as a matter of fact. LOL Particularly the keys to each and every closet for some reason. Included in the set was they key to their moped.

Every closet had a key? Told ya she had stuff to hide, LOL! Wonder if you got Lucy's set or gary's . . . . . . . or even Desi's? LOL!

Every closet had a key? Told ya she had stuff to hide, LOL! Wonder if you got Lucy's set or gary's . . . . . . . or even Desi's? LOL!

One of the key tags has "Apartment 208" written on it in big bold letters, scratching out something that looks very different (also in Lucy's handwriting) underneath. I'm resigned to the fact it's going to drive me crazy for the rest of my days.

One of the key tags has "Apartment 208" written on it in big bold letters, scratching out something that looks very different (also in Lucy's handwriting) underneath. I'm resigned to the fact it's going to drive me crazy for the rest of my days.

Just pretend it said "3D" and move on! ;)

Oh yeah, the apartment she shared with Desi when gary was out golfing. LOL!

Just happened to remember, we had a time share on Daytona Beach, which my husband and I bought in 1982; first stayed in it 1983; I kept it and vacationed there 3 weeks out of each year, until 2007; after my husband passed in 1995, still kept it; added a week on either side of the 3 weeks, had 5 weeks then, until hurricanes 3, went across Florida in 2004, and all three damaged the building. The manager put in an insurance claim when the FIRST one hit; followed by two more; the place was closed for 3 years; I lost my time share, as did many others. We should have embarked on a class action lawsuit; but, couldn't get information on enough of the disgruntled 'owners' from other year-round 'weeks' of ownership. Sad thing!

The point is: our front desk night man was also night clerk at Snowmass when Lucille and company were there vacationing. He told me about this when he knew I was researching the chronology (2005); and I tried to interview him about it. He just said she was lovely and very nice; but, didn't have the time to write for me. He was 'seriously ill' in 2005, when I was there (some of the apartments were still liveable before it closed, for nearly a total re-build). He passed in 2007; so, that interview is gone forever.

I cannot tell you what a thrill it is to see ALL of her series in DVD form, all in a cabinet, all together, her entire life's work in television, all 500 plus shows. Never thought i'd live to see the day, now bring 'em on in Blu Ray and also in C O L O R !

Archived