Gale Took the Veil....

.....and wore it?

In the book "Prime Time Closet", there's a list of gay characters played as straight and BOTH Harrison Otis Carter in Here's Lucy and Theodore Mooney in "The Lucy Show" make the list. (Others on the list: Felix Unger, Uncle Arthur, Brady's Alice, Miss Jane Hathaway, Ralph Monroe)

Yes, Harry had dalliances in his past (Kaye Ballard's Donna, Sgt. Gertie), but he said as to why he never married "When I saw how my friends' marriages were going, I took the veil.". His relationship with Mrs. Fleetwood might have been more about money than romance. Though he seems thrilled at the possibility of winning Lucille Ball as a door prize (and the leering suggestion as to what that will entail), it never quite happens for him. AND he likes to dress in drag a lot and is a huge fan of Ginger Roger's tap dancing movies..

We never see Irma Mooney but has anyone in Danfield? She's always conveniently away. In LA, she's described as "tough looking big guy" and "bow-legged".

Mooney sees her waving good-by from the dock, but maybe she wasn't there and "Teddie" was on this cruise all alone.

By the way, Mooney stuck on the cruise with Lucy might have been a nice follow up episode to "Serves a Summons".

Interesting theory!

Then again, we also have scenes of Harry trying to watch Cleopatra just so he can lust after Elizabeth Taylor. "She can ride by barge any day of the week!" Well, he also played Cleopatra in an all-boys production of ANTONY...and Cleopatra.

In Palm Springs, he was more tickled to have a room at Jack Benny's house overlooking Racquel Welch's tanning area.

I tend to believe Harry was a hardcore pimp and just kept things on the DL. :lucyhaha:

Would have made for interesting episodes exploring Harry's darker side. Like having him be the Carter's Unique Employment Agency entry into a Mr. Leather contest without knowing what he's getting himself into. He does seem to have a lot of "friends" who own a lot of "clubs" most often in the "valley". I loved James's comment in his book about the club in the Rudy Vallee episode the "Hungry Hippie" where there are no hippies, hungry or otherwise to be seen.

And notice how he LEAPED at the chance to dress up as Dan Dailey's wife!

Further points:

In the straight Lothario column, we have:

1. Mr. Mooney's steamy, passionate evening with Nanette under the boardwalk in New Jersey, egged on by Windy Cheever

2. Mooney's clear and obvious lust for Lucy's earthy pocket billiards opponent.

3. Harry was able to resist Carol Krausmeyer's charms.

4. If pop culture stereotypes have taught me anything, no self-respecting gay fellow would ever find that damn ceramic cat a suitable gift for anyone.

In the "Your seams are crooked" column:

1. Said earthy pocket billiards opponent was Dick Shawn in drag.

2. He claimed Joan Crawford as his "very favourite!" movie actor. That, in itself, is suspect.

4. His dream to try on Liberace's wardrobe.

Another Lothario moment: In a break in shooting on the Ironman set, he is hoping there's a bathtub scene with a pretty girl going on somethere.

.....AND in the semi-crooked seam column: He worships the ground Ginger Rogers tap dances on and seems very comfortable in Mama's nui nui muumuu.

Further points:

In the straight Lothario column, we have:

1. Mr. Mooney's steamy, passionate evening with Nanette under the boardwalk in New Jersey, egged on by Windy Cheever

2. Mooney's clear and obvious lust for Lucy's earthy pocket billiards opponent.

4. If pop culture stereotypes have taught me anything, no self-respecting gay fellow would ever find that damn ceramic cat a suitable gift for anyone.

In the "Your seams are crooked" column:

1. Said earthy pocket billiards opponent was Dick Shawn in drag.

2. He claimed Joan Crawford as his "very favourite!" movie actor. That, in itself, is suspect.

4. His dream to try on Liberace's wardrobe.

:marionstrong: to the fact that #3 applies to BOTH lists!!

Re: the ceramic cat crack, I'd have to agree! What was he thinking?? (Except I guess per the script it was Irma who thought it "art"/collectible/birthday gift worthy!)

"Crooked seams" (slight or otherwise)?? What is this reference from??

Finally, the Liberace wardrobe argument is pretty persuasive, IMHO. Who else would want to be seen wearing such gaudy attire?? :lucyshock:

Re: the ceramic cat crack, I'd have to agree! What was he thinking?? (Except I guess per the script it was Irma who thought it "art"/collectible/birthday gift worthy!)

"Crooked seams" (slight or otherwise)?? What is this reference from??

It's a reference to Secretary Beautiful where Carol jokes Harry's seams are crooked and he looks down to check.

Lothario:

5. Lucy Carmichael evidently thinks Mooney sneaking in through Viv's bedroom window is sufficient to get the ladies of the garden club all hot and bothered.

6. Flustered by the slightest touch from Countess Framboise

7. Harry was often referred to as a "man of the world"

8. He slept with Irma at least thrice. Possibly four times.

Seams:

5. Harry had a pink shower cap.

6. Mooney rocked Lucy's leopard fur coat

7. When Kim threatened to take a job at a topless bar, his main worry was she'd catch her death of cold

8. Mooney turned down witnessing the birth of his first grandchild to hang out with Ethel Merman

9. Vivian Jones' Fleur de Passion did nothing for him

10. Mary Jane once let him out of the closet

Archived