I agree with Evie!

I have no opinion about "The Untouchables" or Robert Stack in it, but it appears he was perfect for the role, my only knowledge of "Un.." being the "Gun Moll" Lucy Show episode. However, Van Johnson was signed to do the original Desilu Playhouse entry/pilot for $10,000. When it was expanded to a 2-parter his wife/agent/former wife of best friend Evie demanded he be paid $20,000. Granted this request was made at the last minute and given in ultimatum form. Desi balked. Fired Johnson. Signed Stack. And I'm sure there was strife in the Johnson household that night. (If Desi had wanted REAL revenge he should have hired Keenan Wynn---or as Desi pronounced his name: Kinon)

But why shouldn't he get double his salary (or at least more than the 10 grand) if he signed for one hour episode that was expanded to two?

Has the story of the Keenan/Evie/Van triangle ever been told? I read somewhere that Van was caught "en flagrante" with a man and the marriage to Evie was a cover-up, but one never knows what to believe. Wasn't Evie mentioned in two episodes? One as Evie Wynn, a reference to a nobody; and the other as Van and Evie Johnson, Hollywood couple?

(If Desi had wanted REAL revenge he should have hired Keenan Wynn---or as Desi pronounced his name: Kinon)

HA! Desi actually did hire Keenan Wynn, but for another role in The Untouchables pilot.

This obituary for Evie gives all the details from all the parties involved on the Van-Evie-Keenan triangle. http://www.independe...on-6162929.html

I always thought it was interesting that a year or so before Evie left Keenan for Van that Keenan almost lost his fiancee (Lucy, of course) to Van in Easy to Wed.

HA! Desi actually did hire Keenan Wynn, but for another role in The Untouchables pilot.

This obituary for Evie gives all the details from all the parties involved on the Van-Evie-Keenan triangle. http://www.independe...on-6162929.html

I always thought it was interesting that a year or so before Evie left Keenan for Van that Keenan almost lost his fiancee (Lucy, of course) to Van in Easy to Wed.

Although Van was always supposed to be a friend of Lucy's, she was quoted one time saying she had a love/hate relationship with him. Must be when she found out he was gay yet had led Evie on.

• 2 years later...

Van Johnson on La Cage Aux Folles, the genius of Alan Carr, La Cage Aux Folles, LB Mayer, La Cage Aux Folles, and more!

"This is an old suit of Keenan Wynn's... Play with that one for a minute, folks."

I'm tickled and amazed simultaneously that even with a wink to the camera/audience that he'd make such a telling remark like that -- especially back then! Whoa! :blink:

Recommended book "We have Always Lived in Beverly Hills" (I think that's the title) by Keenan son, Van's step son.

Van and Evie had a daughter Schyler, whom Van ignored once she grew up with some "issues". 

Keenan was still alive at the time of this interview, but just barely.  He died in 1986.  Van made it to 92, dying in 2008.  His hearing deteriorated and he became a bit of a recluse in his NYC apartment.  He and Evie had divorced in 1968 and it was a MESSY one, the money issues going on for years and years.  Evie died in 2004 at age 90.  It was Van's one marriage.  

They were married in 1947, but wasn't there an I Love Lucy reference to "Evie WYNN"?

Interesting that both of Evie's husbands, Keenan and Van worked with Lucy.  I wonder if she was forced to choose sides. 

Van and Evie are mentioned coming to the Hollywood anniversary party. I know Evie was a big factor in Van not getting The Untouchables. So I wonder if Lucy took up with the Keenan camp after that mess.

I was watching an old MST3K last month The Cloneus Horror. Keenan had a small part in this terrible movie.

Van Johnson discusses ball-breakers and Pat Collins on "Night Comfort -- Brought to you by LaBrie's Waterbeds"

You're just having too much fun with this Van Johnson "renaissance"! :blink:

Speaking of fun...you gotta watch with the closed captioning on! Hilarious! :HALKING:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Today at a used bookstore I found a copy of Ilka Chase's book "Past Imperfect" from Keenan Wynn's library. (It has his bookplate inside the front cover) I didn't realize until I got home that inside, used as bookmarks, were two of Evie's receipts from Saks Fifth Avenue. :o 

One one, it looks like she bought a "musical toy teddy" and the other a pair of blue pants. 

Archived