LUCY A-Z - X

X Brands, d. 5/8/00; actor, 67 titles; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Adventures of Jim Bowie “The Pearls of Talimeco”, 1957; Yancy Derringer, 33 episodes, as Pahoo-Ke-Ta-Wah, 1958-59; as well as Lucille Ball guest, (“Here's Lucy”) “Lucy and Wally Cox”, as Lefty Logan, 1970, is born this date, 7/24, in 1927.

STRETCHHHHHHHHHHHING:

PRNewswire - Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ: SIRI) - “'Redhead Radio', broadcasting live from 'Lucy Fest', the 100th Birthday celebration held in Lucille Ball's hometown of Jamestown, NY - 100 Years of Lucille Ball, a limited-run channel celebrating the 100th anniversary of the birth of the comedy legend, with non-stop broadcasts of classic radio shows featuring the comedienne at key moments in her storied career, as well as interviews with her fans, devotees and fellow comedians. It will launch at 12:00 am, ET, on August 6, 2011 - the day Lucille would have celebrated her 100th birthday - on SiriusXM channel 82, taking over SiriusXM's RadioClassics for two days. SiriusXM's, Greg Bell, will host Redhead Radio from The Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy aka 'Lucy Fest', the annual community-organized birthday celebration held in her hometown of Jamestown, NY,” posted this date, 8/2, in 2011.

STRETCHHHHHHHHHHHING - difficult to find a Lucy-related X:

Jamestown, NY – The Reg Lenna Civic CenterLucille’s Birthday Celebration – Headliners: Osborne, Cook & Troupe - “Although his acting credits include movie and television credits, Tom Troupe is primarily a stage performer, having appeared frequently with his wife, Carole Cook. The couple is affectionately known as “the Lunts of L.A. Theater”, for their extensive stage work in LA and environs. In 2002, they were honored with an Ovation Award for Career Achievement. Created to celebrate theatrical achievement and excellence, the Ovation Awards are the only peer-judged, competitive theater awards in LA. Among the stories Tom Troupe would share at the event, sponsored by the Garden of Eden, would be of how his wife was almost upstaged at her own wedding by none other than Lucille Ball! Carole Cook was a protégé of Lucille and even stayed with her for a time. Her many stage, film and television appearances include The Lucy Show and (“Here’s Lucy”). She may tell the story of how Lucille took her to dinner on her first night in LA and asked if she would consider changing her name from Mildred Frances Cook to ‘Carole’, after Lucille’s good friend Carole Lombard. 'I said ‘Yes’ so quickly, I guess I was lucky she didn't suggest I change my name from Mildred to Rin Tin Tin!' she quipped. Osborne may share his special pleasure with the location where his star was added to the Hollywood Walk of Fame earlier this year. It is placed in front of the former Huntington-Hartford Theater, which, Osborne notes: 'was built by NBC around 1936, for the old Lux Radio Theater. When I first got to LA, Lucille used to take Carole and me there when we were under contract to her because we couldn’t afford to go. We saw Bette Davis, and so many others, perform there, so that means something to me,'” Osborne shared with the audience this date, 8/5, in 2006.

Lucille Ball, turning sixteen, George Carr, Manager, Celoron Park, now Lucille Ball Memorial Park, asked her to do the makeup when Norma Smallwood, Miss America of 1927, made an appearance at the Park, this date in 1927.

LA Examiner, Behind the Makeup, Harry Crocker: “Desi Arnaz, who was with Lucille Ball, was called on by Milton Berle, at Victor Hugos, Sunday night informal show, which is fast becoming a movie fan’s dream of Seventh Heaven; Desi played the guitar and sang a beautiful Mexican ballad,” published this date in 1940.

Desi Arnaz throws celebrations in her honor for Lucille Ball on her twenty-ninth birthday, at the Studio and several other places, including her mother’s home - Lucille blows out candles from five cakes; inhales the bouquets of special flowers at each location; and receives her first serious gift from Desi, a lapel watch in the shape of a heart, at Slapsie Maxie’s Club, a favorite of theirs, on this date in 1940.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear CBS' Radio, 30-minute, Situation Comedy, My Favorite Husband “Liz' Portrait”, episode #3, occasionally featuring Ruth Perrott, as Katy The Maid; produced and directed by Gordon Hughes; script by Fred Fox and Bill Davenport; announcer, Bob LeMond; Wilbur Hatch, music conductor, with veteran supporting cast members, John Hiestand, William Johnston, Mary Shipp, and guest, Jeff Chandler, airing this date in 1948.

On this day, August 7:

Keith Thibodeaux, (Richard Keith) (“I Love Lucy” Little Ricky), appears at Lucille Ball’s Birthday Celebration in Jamestown, NY, this date in 2000.

Keith Thibodeaux, (Richard Keith) (“I Love LucyLittle Ricky), appears at Lucille Ball’s Birthday Celebration in Jamestown, NY, this date in 2005.

Executive Producer, Desi Arnaz, Desilu Productions', Desilu Studios'-filmed, New Comedy Showcase “Johnny Come Lately”, written by Bob O'Brien; directed by James Kern; starring Jack Carson, as Johnny Martin; Marie Windsor, as Angela Talbot; and Richard Reeves, as Eddie, among others, airs this date, 8/8, in 1960.

On THIS day, 8/9:

Stretching, again....

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 100 Years Ago - “In 1912, one of the largest crowds of the season was at Celoron Park (now Lucille Ball Memorial Park) Thursday evening to witness the big display of fireworks which took place at the conclusion of the performance in the theater. It was estimated that between 5-10,000 people turned out and enjoyed the exhibition which was even more pleasing than that of the Fourth of July. During the display, the entire Lakefront, from the hall grounds to the theater, as well as the Celoron dock, was packed with people. The display was an attraction worth going many miles to witness. It included stickless rockets, aerial wrigglers, electrical sunbursts, searchlight shells, golden showers, silver clusters, ribbon wheels, humming birds, meteoric showers, peacock plumes, aerial battles and numbers of others,” published this date in 2012.

On this day, 8/10, ONE HUNDRED ONE YEARS AGO:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - In Years Past - 100 Years Ago - “In 1912, one of the largest crowds of the season was at Celoron Park (now Lucille Ball Memorial Park) Thursday evening to witness the big display of fireworks which took place at the conclusion of the performance in the theater. It was estimated that between 5-10,000 people turned out and enjoyed the exhibition which was even more pleasing than that of the Fourth of July. During the display, the entire Lakefront, from the hall grounds to the theater, as well as the Celoron dock, was packed with people. The display was an attraction worth going many miles to witness. It included stickless rockets, aerial wrigglers, electrical sunbursts, searchlight shells, golden showers, silver clusters, ribbon wheels, humming birds, meteoric showers, peacock plumes, aerial battles and numbers of others,” published this date in 2012.

STRETCHING.... AGAIN! running out of X's!

Lucille Ball stars, [Research - Lucy Lounge - Harry Carter 1/20/12 - “dubbing Lucille's singing voice is Martha Meers”], MGM film, DuBarry Was A Lady, her first technicolor film, with Tommy Dorsey and Orchestra, Gene Kelly, as Alec Howe/Black Arrow; Zero Mostel, as Rami, the Swami/Taliostra, Virginia O'Brien, as Ginny, Red Skelton, as Louis Biore/King Louis XV; and, in uncredited roles, Hugh Beaumont, Ava Gardner, Dolly Haas, Dick Haymes, Marilyn MaXwell, Emory Parnell, Buddy Rich, Jo Stafford, Harry Stanton, Lana Turner, Pierre Watkin, Eve Whitney, and Don Wilson; with cinematographer, Karl Freund; Arthur Freed, producer; Sydney Guilaroff, her hair stylist, uncredited, released this date, 8/13, in 1943.

Archived