Colorized "I Love Lucy" DVD set for Nov. 5, CBS Special airs Dec. 20

Brock

As mentioned by Gregg Oppenheimer in Jamestown on Friday:

29vatqo.jpg

From TVShowsonDVD:

HO! HO! HO! HA! HA! HA! Lucy's always been one of, if not the, funniest and most colorful characters in the history of TV. Now you and your family can own three I Love Lucy episodes in both colorized and their original Black & White versions.

CBS DVD has today scheduled a November 5th release for I Love Lucy - The I Love Lucy Christmas Special. Stating on the early cover art (shown below; may not be finalized yet and could be subject to change) that this is "Colorized for Kids of All Ages," the DVD sports both colorized and original black-and-white versions of 3 episodes: "Lucy Christmas Special," "Lucy Goes to Scotland" and "Lucy's Italian Movie." This is ahead of an airing on December 20th by the CBS network for the colorized versions of the first and third items on this DVD.

On another I Love Lucy note, we continue to get e-mails from readers pointing out that there are rumors - and a pair of VERY well-known names associated with Lucy DVDs keep getting mentioned, although we won't repeat them here - that the show is being remastered for Blu-ray Disc format. The only thing we can pass on for now is that nothing has been announced by the studio. If we get something we can pass along, we will, so stay tuned and we'll see if the gossip holds up! in the meantime, enjoy the holiday DVD available this autumn!

Re: that last paragraph, while TVShowsOnDVD won't confirm, Gregg said the BluRays would start rolling out in March 2014.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YAY! And as a note... Gregg said they would be updating the colorization on the Christmas special for this release. Happy to see they are airing it too!

I imagine if this turns out to be a ratings bonanza, the back 178 episodes will be released in not-so-living-colour in short order!

Ah, well. CBS, best of luck testing the waters with this! :lucyhaha:

So if I am reading this right we are getting 2 ILL's in primetime on CBS. Am I correct in that this hasn't happened since the original colorized Christmas episode in the early 90's.

That's how I'm reading it too. Whatever their motives, it's exciting!

As mentioned by Gregg Oppenheimer in Jamestown on Friday:

29vatqo.jpg

From TVShowsonDVD:

[/background][/color][/left]

Re: that last paragraph, while TVShowsOnDVD won't confirm, Gregg said the BluRays would start rolling out in March 2014.

Congratulations Brockie, this HAS to BE the best post you've ever done, it has everything, news about a CBS Special, a new COLORIZED DVD and as if all that weren't enough, you confirm the series will soon be coming out on Blu Ray AND you have two of the most beautiful Lucy avatars ever, one in color and with a fantastically funny tag line, this post has it all!!!!!

YAY! And as a note... Gregg said they would be updating the colorization on the Christmas special for this release. Happy to see they are airing it too!

I know, I have a copy of the one they aired in color years ago, but this one will be even better color. More realistic i'm sure, hope it passes the Joey test!

I hope they get the color correct this time for the Christmas special. I know for a fact that those couches are BLUE and not green, and the walls in the apartment are blue too. They should be able to colorize the end of Lucy is Enciente because we not only have true color footage of the Tropicana, but Lucy's dress was brown. I thought different episodes would be colorized this time. great news! :D

The whole kids of all ages tagline is pathetic. Heaven forbid today's spoiled little brats have to endure the indecency of seeing things in shades of grey! Oh the inhumanity!

Its more the marketing that bugs me than the release. I think that if any episode should be colorized its the Christmas one. Hopefully they did the whole thing this time and not just the wraparound segments. But this better be it. I really hope they don't do the whole series. So unnecessary.

Don't count on it, cuddles! :lucyshock:

Look at that insanely gorgeous pic of Lucy, in her later years, in your avatar, and now imagine how boring looking it would be if only in black and white. The coloring process is not as bad as it was on those early Bewitched episodes or Ted Turners' collection of old movies.

The whole kids of all ages tagline is pathetic. Heaven forbid today's spoiled little brats have to endure the indecency of seeing things in shades of grey! Oh the inhumanity!

Its more the marketing that bugs me than the release. I think that if any episode should be colorized its the Christmas one. Hopefully they did the whole thing this time and not just the wraparound segments. But this better be it. I really hope they don't do the whole series. So unnecessary.

The early version of the Christmas show was ENTIRELY colorized. It was only when they replayed it or issued it out on dvd that they had those wraparound scenes only. I recorded it when it was shown all the way through in color and treasure it. I'm sure the new version will be even more realistic looking, man, even the cigarette smoke came out and was real looking.

The early version of the Christmas show was ENTIRELY colorized. It was only when they replayed it or issued it out on dvd that they had those wraparound scenes only. I recorded it when it was shown all the way through in color and treasure it. I'm sure the new version will be even more realistic looking, man, even the cigarette smoke came out and was real looking.

Ah. Yes no doubt it will look better now and with more accurate colors. But I'm still incredibly ambivolent.about the whole thing.

This is terrific news.. just when I thought my video collecting days were over.. they get to start AGAIN!!! HOOOORAY! I was wondering what to do with all that "smart" money I have!

That`s the thing, it just never ends, I have a feeling there will be stuff to collect till the day I die.

I don't particularly care for colourization. It never looks just right and it probably never will. Nevertheless, if it is measure that will give ILL a renewed shelf-life for future generations, I'm all for it.

Just keep your hands off my DVDs in glorious black and white.

I don't particularly care for colourization. It never looks just right and it probably never will. Nevertheless, if it is measure that will give ILL a renewed shelf-life for future generations, I'm all for it.

Just keep your hands off my DVDs in glorious black and white.

EXACTLY, I dun`t care what anyone else prefers, I just want them out for those of us who want them in color and to help sell them to the nutcases who just won`t watch ANYTHING in black and white.

I just don't get why everything must be altered to suit the masses. Frankly, if people can't take it in its original form, they have no business enjoying it until they learn how to take things as they are. And if ILL is completely colorized, pretty soon the B&W copies will vanish from the face of the earth, just as Jeannie and Bewitched have all but vanished in B&W.

Archived