Lucy Clippings: 1940's

Luvsbway

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Metro picture that Lucy was under consideration for during this time I am aware of is The Hucksters in the role that went to Ava Gardner. The movie was not a comedy and the role was a supporting one, but it would have given Lucy the opportunity to work with Clark Gable. During her second MGM contract, Lucy did Lured and Her Husbands Affairs on loan out. She then did Dream Girl and ended her association with MGM during the run of the play.

The only Metro picture that Lucy was under consideration for during this time I am aware of is The Hucksters in the role that went to Ava Gardner. The movie was not a comedy and the role was a supporting one, but it would have given Lucy the opportunity to work with Clark Gable. During her second MGM contract, Lucy did Lured and Her Husbands Affairs on loan out. She then did Dream Girl and ended her association with MGM during the run of the play.

I don't even recall any movie called The Hucksters and would she have even considered doing a supporting role at that point?

The Hucksters was a film about the advertising business starring Clark Gable and, in her American film debut, Deborah Kerr. Lucy had already done a supporting role in Without Love. Her role in Easy to Wed is the second female lead, although she gets the best part.

Didn't she also do Dark Corner on loan out too? I didn't realize the other 2 were on loan out as well. She seemed to be really mad about the Dark Corner loan out based on how she talked about it in her book.

The Dark Corner was done on loan out to 20th Century Fox. She did not consent to this and, although her salary was higher than what she was making at MGM, MGM pocketed the difference. In her book, Lucy made it sound like she left MGM after this and then started freelancing starting with Lover, Come Back, but this isn't entirely true. Like that article above states, Lucy did not renew her MGM contract and signed to do Lover, Come Back at Universal. During production of Lover, Come Back MGM convinced Lucy to re-sign (which is what that article is about). She then did the independently made Lured and Columbia's Her Husband's Affairs while still under contract to Metro. Lucy realized that the studio didn't know what to do with her and she could make more money freelancing. Lucy was reportedly making $3,500 a week when she left MGM.

• 2 weeks later...

TX!!!!  Now that I think about it, though; is the 8/2/40 date of he gossip column in regard to the above photo spread, which I've asked information for?  I'm a it confused; better ask before I add that date of the article above it.  Thanks for clarifyng....Loving you, JK

Thank you for putting this all together. It did get very jumbled the way it comes across in her book.

luvs - In another Henna thread, on 12/17/, post #173, [can't locate it right now] the professor costume post, you alluded to your confusion, and referred to an article regarding this subject; can you give me a name of magazine, with author of article, and date?  I'd sure appreciate it.  Also, are you SURE she did the professor routine in Lucy in London?  Loving you, JK :fabrary:

Archived