The Official LUCY ON BLU-RAY Thread!

WELL!

I suppose so, it's just that the first two Blu-ray sets were such amazing things and archives of all things it would be a shame to lose that for the rest of the series. Yes, a lot is already available on the DVDs and I have those but the Blu-rays added so much more. I'm sure there are just as many things if not more still in the vaults for the other seasons and shows.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have been away from this forum for a long time, not sure why, but I just found out that Life With Lucy was finally officially released on DVD! That got me thinking about Lucy again, and so I'm wondering, has CBS still not said anything about continuing to restore one of the greatest American TV treasures for future generations?

Looks unlikely, but blame no one but greedy CBS! Along with same day & date Blu releases of "The Honeymooners" and the first season of "The Andy Griffith Show", they originally priced them at "suggested retail" at 3, 4 times what they should have (about $120)! Yes, they were reportedly expensive to produce and they were excellently done, IMHO the best on-video representation of the series yet, so it is truly a shame that we won't get the remaining seasons (unless something drastically changes) on this WUNDAFUL physical format... oh well perhaps someday if they ever get to the point where they actually colorize more than just an episode here and there, maybe they'll reconsider and start putting full season versions of them that way! Here's hoping... :HALKING:

• 11 months later...

It's odd that The Andy Griffith Show received a "complete series" blu ray release, but not ILL.

I wonder if people were hesitant to purchase the individual seasons of ILL, thinking that they would wait for the entire series to be released on blu ray.

I think a blu ray release for the whole series could be successful IF - and I know this is a big impractical IF - the episodes were all colorized.  Impractical, I know, because the colorization process is so time-consuming.  But one day perhaps the technology will improve to the point where the episodes can be colorized more quickly - without sacrificing the quality that Tom and Rick are known for.

So that would be the ideal IMHO:  a blu ray set of all the episodes colorized.  Can you imagine?   Maybe one day ... 

PS  "Thank you" Tom & Rick for your devotion to the colorization process.  Great work!

1 hour ago, wilderfan said:

It's odd that The Andy Griffith Show received a "complete series" blu ray release, but not ILL.

I wonder if people were hesitant to purchase the individual seasons of ILL, thinking that they would wait for the entire series to be released on blu ray.

I think a blu ray release for the whole series could be successful IF - and I know this is a big impractical IF - the episodes were all colorized.  Impractical, I know, because the colorization process is so time-consuming.  But one day perhaps the technology will improve to the point where the episodes can be colorized more quickly - without sacrificing the quality that Tom and Rick are known for.

So that would be the ideal IMHO:  a blu ray set of all the episodes colorized.  Can you imagine?   Maybe one day ... 

PS  "Thank you" Tom & Rick for your devotion to the colorization process.  Great work!

I think putting the complete series in Blu-Ray in HD black and white would be the best place to start. However, having colorised episodes made available later on future “ultimate” sets would probably work as an incentive to double dip. But maybe making all the episodes available in their original form first should be the starting point.

5 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

I think putting the complete series in Blu-Ray in HD black and white would be the best place to start. However, having colorised episodes made available later on future “ultimate” sets would probably work as an incentive to double dip. But maybe making all the episodes available in their original form first should be the starting point.

I see your point, Mot.  But I wonder how many fans would feel uncomfortable buying the complete b&w series on blu ray and then some time later buying the complete colorized series on blu ray.  CBS would have to analyze which route would be best for it.  Very hard to predict, unless CBS was able to get an accurate poll taken of potential buyers.

27 minutes ago, wilderfan said:

I see your point, Mot.  But I wonder how many fans would feel uncomfortable buying the complete b&w series on blu ray and then some time later buying the complete colorized series on blu ray.  CBS would have to analyze which route would be best for it.  Very hard to predict, unless CBS was able to get an accurate poll taken of potential buyers.

Yeah, it’s kind of a tough call. Unless they do what Sony initially did for Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie - put out a colour set and a B&W set simultaneously, this giving people a choice from the get go. But, as you said earlier, it’s a laborious and expensive process, and there are still many episodes left to do. So it’s going to be quite some time before all of them are prepared in colour. 

6 hours ago, rickylu said:

I read on a home media site where someone with insider knowledge said that if "Andy" does well then "Lucy" MIGHT be considered for a series release on Blu-ray.

I noticed some commenters on a home theatre forum were surprised that Andy is getting released before Lucy. The person who said the reason for this was because Lucy is “too racist and sexist” for today’s crowd was widely mocked.