The Ranch

Luvsbway

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to say again how fantastic to see the wide layout pictures in color. My observations:

Bedroom- There is one big change in this room over the years. If you go back to page 1 on this thread and look at the 3 photos I posted that are from the early 40’s you can see the bedroom floor is hardwood. In the 52’ picture there is rose/red carpet now. I also have a photo in a book from around 48’ (based on Lucy’s hair length) that also shows hardwood. So the carpet addition seems like a rather late add.

The chest at the foot of the bed was also an addition somewhere around the late 40’s. Loved seeing the room in color so we could see the yellow and gray that we knew it was done in. I’m not surprised that the bedroom has not changed much over the 12 years they lived there. Compare the photos from page 1 and it really is the same down to the bedspread, the chaise in the corner, and even their pictures on the wall. The only other change I can notice is it looks like a table with a lamp was added next to the chaise. I love how the article mentions that Lucy got all the closet room in the bedroom. In the photo in the article the closets would be the mirrored wall just to the left of the photographer who is standing in the doorway.

Porch- According to Tom back in the earlier pages of this thread this room was a late 40’s/early 50’s add on and looks really nice. I’d have to check the Home Movies but I think they show this under construction.

Living Room- I am convinced that the long sofa is across from the fireplace. It makes sense now that we can see the other part of the living room and see the wallpaper does show up again. Also nice to know that those winged chairs formed a sitting area to the right of the fireplace. I wasn’t sure what room they were in. I wonder what room the passage way next to them leads to. That room sure had color with that carpet and wallpaper. It’s also amazing to see that again this room did not change that much over the years.

Dining Room- I had only seen close-up shots of this room so very nice to see the whole thing. Think of all the amazing people who had dinner at that table. The one thing I do question is the carpet color. Here it is red but I thought at one time it was white. In her book Lucy tells the spaghetti sauce pot story and says how it dropped out of the pot all over the new white carpet she just had put in. I wonder if they never could get the stain out and just put in new carpet.

Nursery- That looks like a huge room. It did get me to wondering once Desi Jr came along where did Lucie get moved to or did they share the nursery at some point. I also read somewhere that if I remember correctly they had 4 bedrooms. Maybe she eventually got her own room.

What I totally love about this house is how unpretentious it was. Completely homey, completely decorated 100% by them. Think of how celebs live now. And we all know they didn’t move because they were super rich big stars and thought they should live higher class but for other circumstances. You could see that they really planned to stay there for long time. I love how this article really points out how much Lucy was a creature of habit and did not want to change anything. You see it in this house and you heard about it in the BH house too. If something was old or worn it got replaced with the same exact thing. I could not have the same bedspread for 12 years.

Other observations from the article. It tells of the story about those people who stayed 9 months. First of all who has the nerve to do that? Second I question if this was one of Lucy’s embellished stories and it probably was only 1-2 months. I love how she said they built that house for them.

This article is not the first time I’ve seen Lucie referred to as her middle name. It seems that for the first year or 2 when referenced she is called by either her first and middle name or just the middle name. I wonder if they quickly realized the same name thing was going to be a problem. I’ve always wondered what Lucy thought when she woke up and little Susan now has a new name. I mean it is a grand romantic gesture but I wonder how thought out that was.

Lucie was later called "Desiree" again during the Phil Vandervort years. Phil called the Roxbury Drive house and didn't know how to ask for Lucie without saying "Young Lucie" (as opposed to "Old Lucy"), so he called her Desiree. This caught on and I know at least Gary called her Desiree during this period too.

Ok after that I think my directions led me to Limrick as stated as one of the eroneous locations. I think I had known that the house wasn't standing but I heard up to the early 2000s it was until Tom's info came out. Nice to finally be able to pinpoint a location to lknow where it once was.

The Ogden house still stands as I've got pics of that one.

Archived