I Love Lucy - Season 10 Episode Guide

10.21 - Lucy the Lounge Singer

With business at The Lucy Lounge beginning to drop off, the managers tell Lucy and Ricky that the books are in the red, and that unless business picks up significantly, they'll soon be out of business. Ricky thinks they should just close up shop, but Lucy is determined to see her investment succeed. Meeting with Messrs. Weir and Sheridan in secret, she opens up her big bazoo and promises that Ricky can deliver Marlene Dietrich this coming Friday to perform (Ricky and Marlene having grown quite "chummy" in California, as she had a minor role in his last movie). Naturally, she hadn't informed Ricky of this fact prior to making the promise, and, unsuprisingly, he doesn't take it well.

LUCY: Ricky, I'm not asking for much. All I want is for you to fly Marlene Dietrich out here over the weekend to sing a couple of songs!

With advertisements already distributed and every table pre-booked, Lucy has no choice but to deliver, and must raid the costume trunk and practice her deepest possible voice while instructing Fred and Ethel to keep the lights as dim as possible come showtime. But she and the audience get the thrill of a lifetime when Ricky surprises them with the REAL Marlene, who just happened to be in town on a layover en route back to Germany. The plan backfires slightly, however, when Marlene insists on playing the audience both sides of her latest record, consisting solely of applause culled from her last European tour.

Guest star: Marlene Dietrich

I don't think this episode would be complete without a variation of the Harpo Marx mirror scene where Lucy hears Marlene coming into the dressing room and quickly sets up opposite her vanity, then mimics Marlene's movements as La Dietrich preps herself in front of the mirror, including sticking pins through the skin in her scalp and doing the face lift thing.

I don't think this episode would be complete without a variation of the Harpo Marx mirror scene where Lucy hears Marlene coming into the dressing room and quickly sets up opposite her vanity, then mimics Marlene's movements as La Dietrich preps herself in front of the mirror, including sticking pins through the skin in her scalp and doing the face lift thing.

Oh that's excellent! Yes, that must be included.

Alternate title: Lucy Can't Help It.

Archived