Viv & Gary Morton

I recall reading in "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz" that, apparently, Vivian wasn't terribly fond of Gary Morton, as in her eyes he was a replacement for Desi and she couldn't accept that. I don't remember if it stated the feeling was mutual or not. I've got that book buried somewhere or else I'd look it up, but does anyone know of any specific altercations that may have occurred between them? Or was it merely feelings that both kept to themselves?

I know that Viv really liked and respected Desi. She said wonderful things about him to Kaye Ballard when she was going to do The Mothers In Law. Then there is the story when they were first shooting TLS. I think Viv understand the divorce and I know her and Lucy bonded very much then.

Maybe she thought with all Lucy had going for her why she settled on this shmuck. I have the book too and its been about a year or 2 since I was last through it so don't remember much know.

• 10 months later...

I recall reading in "The Other Side of Ethel Mertz" that, apparently, Vivian wasn't terribly fond of Gary Morton, as in her eyes he was a replacement for Desi and she couldn't accept that. I don't remember if it stated the feeling was mutual or not. I've got that book buried somewhere or else I'd look it up, but does anyone know of any specific altercations that may have occurred between them? Or was it merely feelings that both kept to themselves?

None of Lucy's friends liked him. With Desi, there was a societal perception that motivated that, no matter how wrong it was. With Gary, it was just general dislike. You would have thought Lucy would have gotten a clue.

None of Lucy's friends liked him. With Desi, there was a societal perception that motivated that, no matter how wrong it was. With Gary, it was just general dislike. You would have thought Lucy would have gotten a clue.

Because she went ahead and married him.

Do you ever really know the man you marry? Was there any other friends that actually said they disliked him? I think I recall somebody (Carol Cook?) saying she felt cut out but I don't think any other drier a actually came out and said it. Maybe they were scared of maybe he faked kindness to them? I don't think Mary Wickes or Kaye Ballard every talked we out an active dislike of him? I would be very interested to know if they did feel something against him.

The love letters show that she felt he was pretty great. Perhaps her feelings changed in the later years when it would haves been too hard to divorce him? I think Stu and Bernie mentioned in their interview that they thought she was catching onto him at the end. Bernie clearly did not like him and felt none of their staff did either.

Archived