Ethel Innuendo

Mot Morenzi

In the Brown Derby, when the waiter walks by with the dessert tray and Ethel says, "Ooh boy, I'm gonna have a piece of that!"

I have to wonder if she was referring to the cakes or the waiter's butt.

Obviously it's just imagination, but sometimes changing perspective can add a whole new level of meanings to one line. In any event, it's fun to think of Ethel checking out guys in the presence of Fred.

In another era "He can do anything under a minute" would mean only one thing. It was unlike the writers to slip in anything blue (unless there are others that go over my naive head), but what ELSE could she be referring to? One might think that Ethel would be happy that she only had to endure the unbuttoning of Fred's union suit for a mere minute and their walls of pillows would preclude any spontaneity.

I don't know what the term meant exactly in more innocent times, but it's a little odd hearing Ethel say "That's the way we MAKE LOVE."

Pretty sure Ethel was referring to the tray of food and not the waiter's derriere. Otherwise she might have borrowed from the title of this topic and said "There's an -endo I like to get innu-."

In another era "He can do anything under a minute" would mean only one thing. It was unlike the writers to slip in anything blue (unless there are others that go over my naive head), but what ELSE could she be referring to? One might think that Ethel would be happy that she only had to endure the unbuttoning of Fred's union suit for a mere minute and their walls of pillows would preclude any spontaneity.

The best part of the "under a minute" exchange is we know -- and can hear -- that the (minds-in-the-gutter) audience is on the exact same wavelength. One of the joys of the live audience.

I don't know what the term meant exactly in more innocent times, but it's a little odd hearing Ethel say "That's the way we MAKE LOVE."

Pretty sure Ethel was referring to the tray of food and not the waiter's derriere. Otherwise she might have borrowed from the title of this topic and said "There's an -endo I like to get innu-."

I'm sure she was too, but it's fun to imagine otherwise.

Maybe Ethel's tying Fred to the bed was their version of foreplay. Thank goodness the Ricardo's were present, I'd hate to see what comes next.

I'm sure she was too, but it's fun to imagine otherwise.

Maybe Ethel's tying Fred to the bed was their version of foreplay. Thank goodness the Ricardo's were present, I'd hate to see what comes next.

Maybe there was scene cut from "First Stop" where Fred and Ethel do what comes after this foreplay and THEN Lucy and Ethel have the exchange "You do that every NIGHT???" "Yeah, but it took YEARS of practice."

Archived