Does Anybody Know...

onelightonesun

There is a color pic floating around that does show it as brown. Wonder how the teal thing got started.

Good question, did it start prior to the mattel doll release?

And the photo is show, and the dress is talked about, in that Tony Maietta interview with Carole on TLS season 2 (I believe...) DVD release.

Yep, it was chocolate brown and made of satin. Carole said she wore it until it fell apart and kicks herself for not keeping it. There is a color photo of her in it somewhere. Here's a colorized stamp that somewhat shows what it would look like (little variation in color). http://www.lucystore.com/i-love-lucy-is-enceinte-postage-stamp.html

Hallmark also made an ornament with the dress as teal not sure if that came before or after the Barbie set. The thought is someone changed the color for marketing purposes because the teal was "more appealing to the eye."

Very interesting.  I prefer it in chocolate brown.  I assume Carole got rid of it because it was too dated, not because it fell apart, LOL!

I dunno Claude, when she was on the panel at the 60th Anniversary event at the Hollywood Museum she told the crowd she literally wore it so much it started to fall apart. Who knows though she may have been exaggerating. I think she also made the comment, if she knew how things were going to turn out she would have cut it up into little pieces and sold them!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, very nice.  The idiots at Comedy Gold show the entire series in order but then, for some reason, they show Mr and Mrs Phipps one in the middle of the Hollywood eps, so I was shocked to see that the peignoir she wears to hide her potato sac outfit is the same one that she wears for Hollywood anniversary, that I thought was so incredibly beautiful.

Archived