UPDATED: Joan Rivers dies at 81

Brock

...this doesn't sound too good.

From CBS News:

Joan Rivers was rushed to a New York City hospital on Thursday after she stopped breathing during throat surgery, TMZ reports.

The comedienne, author and host of E!'s "Fashion Police" was reportedly undergoing a procedure on her vocal cords at a clinic when she stopped breathing.

Sources told TMZ the 81-year-old TV personality was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, is said to be on her way there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/joan-rivers-hospitalized-in-new-york-city-report/

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AP describes it as cardiac arrest rather than respiratory:

Joan Rivers is in a New York City hospital Thursday after she was rushed from a doctor's office when she went into cardiac arrest, police and hospital officials said.

The 81-year-old comedian's condition wasn't immediately known, but reports from the E! network where Rivers works indicate she was upgraded from critical to stable condition.

"This morning, Joan Rivers was taken to The Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, where she is being attended to. Her family wants to thank everybody for their outpouring of love and support," said Sid Dinsay, a spokesman for Mount Sinai Hospital. "We will provide an update on her condition as it becomes available."

New York City police officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly name Rivers, said she was taken to the hospital just after 9:30 a.m. Thursday.

Rivers' representatives didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

Wonder how she'll blame THIS on the Palestinians.  Did you see her lately ranting and raving like a lunatic, obviously this eventually affected her ticker.  I agree she looked fine on Fashion Police.  Hope she has many good years left in her, but calm down Joan, you'll live longer.

The NY Daily News reports she's in a medically induced coma until they can properly assess any damage after bringing her out over the weekend. But... it's the NY Daily News.

Yeah, they are also saying she went into both cardiac and respiratory arrest.

This is just so terrible to hear, though. We are pulling for you, Joan!

TMZ is saying the family is remaining hopeful but may have to make the decision to take her off life support in a few days. This is terrible.

And I believe she apologized or later clarified her words about the Palestinian debacle. I don't like to bring up the word karma here when this situation is looking worse by the minute.

TMZ is saying the family is remaining hopeful but may have to make the decision to take her off life support in a few days. This is terrible.

And I believe she apologized or later clarified her words about the Palestinian debacle. I don't like to bring up the word karma here when this situation is looking worse by the minute.

So sad... Still sending prayers.

The one thing I hate hearing is all the people bashing her when she's not even gone yet. I know she was controversial, but most of the stuff she said wouldn't have been taken the way it was if it'd been said by a male comedian like Don Rickles. Same goes with someone like Kathy Griffin. She broke down a lot of barriers for female comics but as we can still see apparently they're still in place. We still need you, Joan!

Oh for corn sakes Taylor, nobody WANTS her dead, but even though I loved her as one of my all time favorites weeks ago, not so much after what she said.  And Don Rickles wouldn't have said what she did, he has a heart.  Joan really went overboard these past few months.  Yes, I understand that at 81, she should be given some slack, but saying people deserve to be dead when she was talking about innocent civilian woman and children because they were Arab is just over the top wrong.  I still laughed at everything the woman did, I watched all her shows and appearances for the last four decades and yes, she broke some ground for women and loved Lucy so my love for her did not diminish, I was just very disappointed with her behavior lately.  Anne Frank jokes, the President is gay, the First lady is transgender and even her three stooges on Fashion Police have been looking away and groaning at her jokes on that show too.  When you have to resort to shocking people to be funny, you've lost some of your reputation.  Anyway, to be fair, here's the thing, she made me laugh for four decades so i'll feel bad when she goes, she's on life support and with a daughter like Melissa making the decision, her time truly is short.  But so she made mistakes in the past few months, i'll let that go considering all the enjoyment she gave me and her audiences BEFORE that.  I'm not one of those people who believe you let everything go when someone dies but i'll make an exception for Joan, a truly exceptionally funny hysterical lady.

She didn't say what you think she did about the Palestinians, Claude. Her words were taken out of context by the media and she explained herself on her Facebook page after the fact as well as apologized for the misunderstanding. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

They played the interview on the net and she DID say it but then denied it and got out of it like the good politician she can be sometimes, like when she walked out on that CNN interview when it wasn't the fluff piece she expected, seems the lady can dish it out (like when she attacked that handicapped girl at one of her shows and her dad had to defend her), but she cannot take it herself.  She's great but lately she just got off the deep end is all I'm sayinnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Archived