Original S5 Jack In the Box intro question

First of all, how did Miss Ball not know what they were up to when they were making it? For someone who had total control over every single thing on the set, she didn't demand to know the concept of the new theme song? Waste of money. I'd let her see what she thought of my idea before making it. And it appears they did take some shots of her for that theme song (her face in the 3 circles) so she had to know. Hmmm.

Secondly, where can I see the full, original photo of Lucy's face on the Jack in the Box? Was it taken specifically for that or is there some publicity photo floating around somewhere that they took it from?

First of all, how did Miss Ball not know what they were up to when they were making it? For someone who had total control over every single thing on the set, she didn't demand to know the concept of the new theme song? Waste of money. I'd let her see what she thought of my idea before making it. And it appears they did take some shots of her for that theme song (her face in the 3 circles) so she had to know. Hmmm.

Secondly, where can I see the full, original photo of Lucy's face on the Jack in the Box? Was it taken specifically for that or is there some publicity photo floating around somewhere that they took it from?

Photo does not show up - red X in box; can you print it out so we can see it?  thanks if you can.

I can't remember the music to season 2's opening, but from season 3 on, there's very little of the "Lucy Show" theme melody in the opening credits.  I'm very impressed with the imaginative and intricate orchestrations of each.  Was there any other show that did something like this?

Each season's opening credits are truly unique, very offbeat for a show that played it pretty safe, comedy-wise.

Does anyone know who was responsible?  I'm guessing an outside company.

Perhaps Lucy looked at the season 5 opener and gave it her OK, but was aghast when she actually saw it on the air.  Or perhaps she just trusted those involved to go where they wanted to go.  The only thing that might have offended her is her disembodied head sprong-ing from the jack in the box.  I'm trying to imagine the composers talking to the orchestrator "Here I want a giant "spong" noise."

Yeah you can't trust everybody to do great all the time. Maybe they kept the jack in the box a secret but I still thought they had to get her approval for most of the stuff done on the show. Maybe they said there was going to be a jack-in-the-box but left out the little detail of her head popping out. Yeah the 3 poses of her in the 3 circles could've been from the silent shoot but I wish I could see the pose that her "disembodied" head came from. I didn't think it was from the silent shoot because her eyes seem to be bugging out.

I can't remember the music to season 2's opening, but from season 3 on, there's very little of the "Lucy Show" theme melody in the opening credits. I'm very impressed with the imaginative and intricate orchestrations of each. Was there any other show that did something like this?

Each season's opening credits are truly unique, very offbeat for a show that played it pretty safe, comedy-wise.

I agree. I also really like how, during the first season, sometimes they changed the arrangement of the theme during the crawl with the writers and director credit depending on the episode's theme. For example, in "Lucy is Chaperone," it has a groovy beach music arrangement.

Yeah... the different arrangements during the first season crawl... VERY VERY COOL!!!  I agree with Neil that the openings are so interesting and off beat which contrasts  with the "Tameness" of the show.  However, it is interesting how the Jack In The Box titles made it through.  I don't really have an issue with it but can see how SHE may have.  I like to think of a camera fading in revealing HER Beverly Hills Living Room and the episode starts and before the titles are over we cut to the outside of the house and all we hear is ... GARY WTF? Hee hee .. I bet she gave him hell plenty of times... THAT I would LOVE to be privy to!

Lucy liked to say that they didn't fight and only over had 1 or 2 spats. Well the redo of the Palm Springs house was 1 so that gives her 1 more in 25+ years. Of course you don't fight if the other person doesn't yell back. I would totally think there was a lot of WTF and some eye rolling back on his part.

I agree. I also really like how, during the first season, sometimes they changed the arrangement of the theme during the crawl with the writers and director credit depending on the episode's theme. For example, in "Lucy is Chaperone," it has a groovy beach music arrangement.

I'd forgotten about that.  How many different ones were there?   NY Eve, Christmas, some sort of military arrangement?  for "Astronuat"?

I don't remember another show going to that trouble. 

Otherwise, Lucy stayed with her 3-act format.   I think I Love Lucy stayed with its 2 act format with middle commercial.

Other shows were joining the trend of a pre-opening credits teaser scene and a post-show tag, but Lucy never went that route.  The format from 62-74 was:

Opening credits-commerical

Act 1-commercial

Act 2-commercial

Act 3- commercial

Closing credits

Keep in mind that there was one or two commercials during a break and the break was only ONE minute long (if memory serves).  Recently I clocked a show with 5 full minutes of commercials.  If you had to sit through those (and most of us don't....Don't they know that?), you'd forget what you were watching.

• 7 months later...

I honestly don't see the problem with the Jack-in-a-box segment and never have. Hard to see why she'd find it offensive, it was clearly lighthearted and actually fit well with the tone of the season. On the whole, I find the season 5 opening one of the best the series had.

Archived