Best season of Here's Lucy?

I want to watch all 6 seasons. In PRODUCTION order. In season 1 it starts with Mod Mod Lucy, then the next one is Lucy's Birthday followed by Lucy's Working Daughter.

Which one is the best season? After Craig left something was missing. In season 4, nothing particularly exciting happened. In season 5, it dealt with Lucy's broken leg so that was a season long arc. Season 6 didn't feel too exciting either. I forgot which one had Kim move into the garage apartment. I feel like none of the seasons had arcs except for 5.

Maybe I'm wrong. There are funny episodes in all 144 episodes. But it seemed kind of Seinfeld-ish especially in season 4 and 6. Random plots. Oh I just remembered season 4 when Uncle Harry got therapy and it was an arc for a few episodes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 5 is my all-time favourite post-ILL season. IMO, it is the funniest and most consistent of the entire series.

I agree with all of this!

My top ten is comprised of mostly episodes from the fourth and sixth seasons, but, in my opinion, pretty much every episode in the fifth season is a winner.

I think the latter half of season 5 has a lot of warmth between Lucy and Harry, especially Lucy & Harry's Pot, Lucy & Harry's Memoirs and a couple others. There's a lot of episodes around that time with Lucy and Vanda and Mary Jane and Sam the Waiter at that restaurant. I know it was the 70s but who would go there for a romantic dinner? lol! So this was originally supposed to be the final season but they talked Lucy into doing one final one? It never explained how Uncle Harry got the office back, but I guess Lucy was right in putting up a "Temporarily out of business" sign.

Seasons five and six were the best. They were the most consistent plot line and quality wise. We got the broken leg arc, and recurring characters of Mary Jane, Vonda, and Sam. I wonder why Carole Cooke wasn't made a recurring character? While every single episode of season five was stellar, season six was about half hit half miss. Some that year were bad, but when they were good, they were really good. N.G. as a R.N. is one that comes to mind. My vote for worst year of the series would be season three. Although it has the Liz and Dick episode, there's something about that season that seems boring. Not to mention it has the worst episode of the series- Ma Parker and her transvestite midget children. Just thinking about it makes me feel dirty.

What were the most memorable episodes of season 4? TBH that one is the least memorable season. It has some gems but it's kind of forgettable. I like the one where Lucy and Kim try to raise money and Lucy is in the dunking booth at a carnival. I forgot which one that was. They end up living in the office. Oh it's Lucy Makes a Few Extra Dollars. It has the cascade of empty pop cans in the closet. I think my favorite episode in that whole season is Lucy's Replacement, from the talking computer to the Typing Tempo Tune. "BING BONG sit at desk!" I guess Lucy In the Jungle isn't a favorite of most Lucy fans?

What were the most memorable episodes of season 4?

My favorites from season four. These would all make my list of top 15 episodes of the series:

Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea

Kim Moves Out

Someone's On the Ski Lift with Dinah

Lucy's Punctured Romance

Lucy and Mannix Are Held Hostage

Won't You Calm Down, Dan Dailey?

Agree thoroughly.    Locally HL enjoyed a pretty long syndication run 5 days a week.  After that was over, the station still had HL  and it would pop up  all over the place as filler. These didn't run in order. If I heard the "plunk...plunk-plunk" intro of the first 3 seasons, I knew getting a good one was unlikely.

From those first three seasons, only 3 make my HL tops list: "Working Daughter", "Craig's Drivers Test" and "Burtons".  I remember getting the new TV Guide and going first to the Monday night listing of the plot outline, always hopeful that it would turn out to be a good one.  There were times I realized there was no hope."Ma Parker" "Safari" and "Lucy in the Jungle" (and any episode that placed the Carters outdoors) were among three I knew would be a lost cause.  "Ma Parker" is particularly embarrassing on so many levels.   Poor Carole Cook!  Her most prominent parts in both TLS and HL are horrible shows. ("Getting T. Ernie's Account" from TLS)

Season 6 is by far my least favorite season of TLS, but at least it had some stability.  For HL, Lucy may have said "Let's get some new writers".  Unfortunately she didn't specify "under 60", because Milt hired writer friends from his radio days that had not had a good idea since then.   The continuity was all over the place.  

With the addition of Bob and Madelyn in season 4, things began to pick up a bit.  Though Desi was an engaging performer, without him there was less emphasis on the teenage antics, just as well because the writer's had no idea what a 60s teen was like.  Seasons 4-6 had their share of duffers,, made all the more obvious by comparison.   During the stretch when I first began to look at writer's credits, Bob and Madelyn gave us two of my favorites: "Ski Life/Dinah" and "Ginger Comes to Tea", but in the midst of those we got one of my least favorites "Lucy's Bonus Bounces", as good a title as any for this Martin Ragaway mess.  I can't think of an episode written by a freelance team that was any good.  Season 4 had a few by outside writers, but 5 and 6 were all written by 3 sets, 8 episodes each.   And WHERE did they drag up Gene Thompson for those location shows?  Here was a chance for something different but the scripts let them down. 

(Season 4 was the last for Milt.  I don't know if his beloved spark-smoke machine was on the fritz but it was used less)

HL went out with a bang.  After a relatively ho-hum season 6 start, several of my top 10s are in the very last batch "Lucy Meets Lucy", "NG as RN" "Fights the System" and "Where is My Wandering Mother". 

Seasons five and six were the best. They were the most consistent plot line and quality wise. We got the broken leg arc, and recurring characters of Mary Jane, Vonda, and Sam. I wonder why Carole Cooke wasn't made a recurring character? While every single episode of season five was stellar, season six was about half hit half miss. Some that year were bad, but when they were good, they were really good. N.G. as a R.N. is one that comes to mind. My vote for worst year of the series would be season three. Although it has the Liz and Dick episode, there's something about that season that seems boring. Not to mention it has the worst episode of the series- Ma Parker and her transvestite midget children. Just thinking about it makes me feel dirty.

I wonder how much control Milt Josefsberg had over Bob and Madelyn's scripts during the fourth season. The last two seasons were written by three separate groups (Bob and Madelyn, Fox & Jacobs, and Bob O'Brien). This is the only show I can think of that didn't have a head writer or writing supervisor. Did Gary and/or Cleo take charge? This had to be a strange set up.

Archived