There should've been a Disneyland episode

I wish Lucy did an episode at Disneyland. Miss Ball loved going there. When I first saw the "Main Street, USA" title, I thought "could that be an episode about Disney?" It's possible that Here's Lucy could've done a Disney WORLD episode too, as WDW first opened in 1971 and HL ran through '74. Lucie did that special there around 1975. But why would Lucy Carter have traveled all the way across the country? lol. I wonder if they had to make a choice between Marineland and Disneyland for the Lucy Show S4 opener.

Yeah, probably. Disney was mostly NBC based back then, now it's all ABC. The Bradys went to Kings Island, which was Paramount/Hanna Barbera themed at the time, and that show was taped at Paramount studios. I think Paramount was ABC based back then. But it would've still been cool to see a Lucy at Disney special. Maybe even in the late 70s.

Yeah, probably. Disney was mostly NBC based back then, now it's all ABC. The Bradys went to Kings Island, which was Paramount/Hanna Barbera themed at the time, and that show was taped at Paramount studios. I think Paramount was ABC based back then. But it would've still been cool to see a Lucy at Disney special. Maybe even in the late 70s.

The studios weren't "owned" by the networks like some are now (i.e. Disney ABC), so I don't think those location eps you reference have anything to do with each other; besides "The Partridge Family" also aired on ABC but was a Screen Gems (the TV arm of Columbia Pictures) production and had no affiliation other than being broadcast on the network, as was TBB. 

Back then, I think it was simply a matter -- ostensibly to "boost" ratings during a sweeps period -- of taking each respective show "on the road" to get out of the house-bound sets at the studio and shoot a "special" show annually on location:  the Partridges went to Las Vegas the first season (in the pilot), then Marineland for the beloved "save the whales" episode in Season 2, to Kings Island in Cincinnati in Season 3 (featured the recently deceased Mary Ann Mobley in a guest appearance, along with then popular baseball player Johnny Bench in a cameo) and in Season 4, filming set aboard a real cruise ship.  The Bradys (with which I'm less familiar) likewise not only went to Kings Island one season but famously for 2 or 3 episodes one season to Hawaii where of course, mayhem,surfing and bad hair ensued. 

Cue the Don Ho music!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived