Photo

The Carol Burnett Show - Seasons 1-5 Coming This Fall!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:59 AM

Could it be "My Best Girl" Neil? I've always thought was just about the best she sounded on the entire Mame soundtrack, at least the first couple of lines... she doesn't quite maintain it through the entire song but sounds great while it lasts: "You're my best beau, you're handsome and brave and strong, there's nothing we two can't face......" :fabrary:

you are correct!  Particularly the note she hits for "strong" and you're also right: she doesn't really sustain that level of quality but is still pretty good.

When the Merv Griffin Show had its Lucy night we've all seen now, it ran in October of 1973, 6 months before Mame's premiere,.  The "color answer print" (as Gary pointed out) clips they showed included a little It's Today dance, some of the Mame number, but the only singing of Lucy's we heard were the lines you quoted---which gave us the impression she was going to sound better over all than she did.

• JoeyCentralCal likes this

#82 mickie

mickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

I am really hoping they show that Merv Griffin Show again as Merv is now on every Monday night on GetTV.

#83 JoeyCentralCal

JoeyCentralCal

14 Oscar Noms! SAG Award Winner Emma Stone!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,851 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley CA (near Modesto)

Posted 13 October 2015 - 03:51 AM

you are correct!  Particularly the note she hits for "strong" and you're also right: she doesn't really sustain that level of quality but is still pretty good.

When the Merv Griffin Show had its Lucy night we've all seen now, it ran in October of 1973, 6 months before Mame's premiere,.  The "color answer print" (as Gary pointed out) clips they showed included a little It's Today dance, some of the Mame number, but the only singing of Lucy's we heard were the lines you quoted---which gave us the impression she was going to sound better over all than she did.

Thought so. It's also my favorite scene in the entire film.  There's something particularly poignant about it and her opening lines of the song really reflect that.  While I'm no big fan of that kid, he held his own with her in this scene and I think a few more scenes like it would have done the finished product a world of good!  :lucyeww:

La%2BLa%2BLand%2Bdance.gif

Ryan Gossling * Emma Stone

in

LA LA LAND

Winner:

SEVEN Golden Globes!

Screen Actors Guild Awards: Best Actress Emma Stone

Producers Guild of America:   Best Picture

Directors Guild of America: Best Director Damien Chazelle

American Cinema Editors – Comedy/Musical: Tom Cross
Art Directors Guild – Contemporary Film:  David Wasco

Casting Society of America – Big Budget Comedy/Musical: Deborah Aquila, Tricia Wood

&

14 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!!

#84 Mot Morenzi

Mot Morenzi

Ball of Fire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:54 AM

I've got to get this set. Sounds amazing.

#85 Brock

Brock

The Original AbFab

• Administrators
  • 33,399 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

The rest of the in-store rollout is set for February:

http://www.tvshowson...The-Vault/21828

lucy-lansbury.jpg

"Featuring Angela Lansbury in the most dramatic performance of her career."

#86 Shemp

Shemp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

The 3rd retail set "Classic Carol" is set for an October 4, 2016 release, and Amazon has it for preorder.  6 discs, it has the same 14 episodes from the "Classic Carol" section of the "Ultimate" box set.  

Included is November 24, 1969's episode with Lucy and George Carlin.

#87 Mot Morenzi

Mot Morenzi

Ball of Fire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:01 AM

http://tvshowsondvd....im-Conway/23037

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CELEBRATE INIMITABLE COMEDY LEGEND TIM
CONWAY WITH A BRAND-NEW DVD COLLECTION
FEATURING NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED
EPISODES OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:
THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY

April 4, 2017

The Single DVD ($12.95 srp) Includes Four
Complete Episodes - Three Not Seen in More
Than 40 Years! - Featuring Conway's Most
Indelible Characters Such as "Oldest Man," "Mr.
Tudball," "The Virgin Prince," and "The Dentist"

During his frequent guest appearances on The Carol Burnett Show, Tim Conway, who had originally gotten his start on McHale's Navy, was a one-man wrecking crew capable of leveling the audience and cast members alike with the slightest gesture. With an unparalleled gift for improvisation and physical comedy, Conway became a permanent part of the cast in 1975, and would go on to create a gallery of oddball characters that blossomed in their own bumbling ineptitude, from the "Oldest Man" to the irascible boss, Mr. Tudball. THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY celebrates this inimitable and legendary comic with four complete episodes - three not seen in more than 40 years - featuring some of his most unforgettable characters and moments.

In Episode 312 (airdate: December 8, 1969), Conway's "Oldest Man" gives himself a slo-mo oil change playing the default head of a racetrack pit crew; and, as "The Virgin Prince," he's a "swishbuckling" tour de farce with an appetite for flies and destruction. Episode 423 (airdate: April 19, 1971) features Conway as "The Lone Ranger" and acting like man's best friend in "Dog's Life" (blooper included!) Episode 513 (airdate: December 1, 1971) includes the all-time Conway/Korman classic sketch, "The Dentist," which remains the stuff of TV legend and one of the all-time-great moments of physical comedy. And, in Episode 0120 (airdate: February 26, 1978), Conway stars as Mr. Tudball, well-known for his strange accent and regimented work style, who takes leave of his senses while showing compassion for his dimwitted secretary, Mrs. Wiggins (Burnett).

CarolBurnettShow_BestOfTimConway.jpg

#88 Freddie2

Freddie2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:28 AM

Ooh! I hope they do one for each cast member! They're gonnna have to scrounge for poor Lyle, though.

Still waiting on a release for "The Complete Mother Marcus", too.

RedSkeltonLogo3.gif

#89 Mot Morenzi

Mot Morenzi

Ball of Fire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:02 AM

Ooh! I hope they do one for each cast member! They're gonnna have to scrounge for poor Lyle, though.
Still waiting on a release for "The Complete Mother Marcus", too.

Judging by the cover design, I'd say they are going to do a release for each cast member. A very clever idea.

You're right, though, Lyle's would be a tough one, as he was primarily the straight man.

#90 JoeyCentralCal

JoeyCentralCal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,851 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Judging by the cover design, I'd say they are going to do a release for each cast member. A very clever idea.

You're right, though, Lyle's would be a tough one, as he was primarily the straight man.

That's okay...since most of his scenes were striking in one way or the other: natty in a tuxedo or stripped down and baring a buff bod! :blink:

in

LA LA LAND

Winner:

SEVEN Golden Globes!

Casting Society of America – Big Budget Comedy/Musical: Deborah Aquila, Tricia Wood

&

14 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!!

#91 JoeyCentralCal

JoeyCentralCal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,851 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

http://tvshowsondvd....im-Conway/23037

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CELEBRATE INIMITABLE COMEDY LEGEND TIM
CONWAY WITH A BRAND-NEW DVD COLLECTION
FEATURING NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED
EPISODES OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:
THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY

April 4, 2017

The Single DVD ($12.95 srp) Includes Four
Complete Episodes - Three Not Seen in More
Than 40 Years! - Featuring Conway's Most
Indelible Characters Such as "Oldest Man," "Mr.
Tudball," "The Virgin Prince," and "The Dentist"

During his frequent guest appearances on The Carol Burnett Show, Tim Conway, who had originally gotten his start on McHale's Navy, was a one-man wrecking crew capable of leveling the audience and cast members alike with the slightest gesture. With an unparalleled gift for improvisation and physical comedy, Conway became a permanent part of the cast in 1975, and would go on to create a gallery of oddball characters that blossomed in their own bumbling ineptitude, from the "Oldest Man" to the irascible boss, Mr. Tudball. THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY celebrates this inimitable and legendary comic with four complete episodes - three not seen in more than 40 years - featuring some of his most unforgettable characters and moments.

In Episode 312 (airdate: December 8, 1969), Conway's "Oldest Man" gives himself a slo-mo oil change playing the default head of a racetrack pit crew; and, as "The Virgin Prince," he's a "swishbuckling" tour de farce with an appetite for flies and destruction. Episode 423 (airdate: April 19, 1971) features Conway as "The Lone Ranger" and acting like man's best friend in "Dog's Life" (blooper included!) Episode 513 (airdate: December 1, 1971) includes the all-time Conway/Korman classic sketch, "The Dentist," which remains the stuff of TV legend and one of the all-time-great moments of physical comedy. And, in Episode 0120 (airdate: February 26, 1978), Conway stars as Mr. Tudball, well-known for his strange accent and regimented work style, who takes leave of his senses while showing compassion for his dimwitted secretary, Mrs. Wiggins (Burnett).

CarolBurnettShow_BestOfTimConway.jpg

I kinda like this concept but a little surprised the "theme" needed only one disc! But I suppose that's because they went with selected, full episodes rather than selected sketches and whatnot.... Might have been nice if they'd added another disc with clips, bloopers (as a result of Tim's shenanigans, e.g. the infamous "elephant story" from the "Family" sketch with Vicki's classic payoff, and other selected highlights of Tim's many hilarious, often unscripted contributions!

Since they're going this theme route (reminds me of those costly Columbia House collections --that I STILL have!!), be nice if they ultimately produced one for at least Harvey's and Vicki's "Best of" moments and somewhere along the line, a definitive collection of all the "Family" sketches -- would LOVE that! :peachonthebeach:

in

LA LA LAND

Winner:

SEVEN Golden Globes!

&

14 OSCAR NOMINATIONS!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users