Vanda Barra 1924 - 2015

Brock

I'm sorry to report that Vanda Barra died earlier this month at the age of 90. :(

Such a memorable character actress in the Lucy-verse and a (very funny) force to be reckoned with in real life, too!

R.I.P. Vanda.

:vanda:

Expect a tribute banner tonight.

• Like 1

In some ways it's unfortunate she wasn't interested in recalling her time on the show for interviews....

She gave me a few interviews about it. Unfortunately, it was still very much a work in progress by the time her health started to take a turn at the start of the year. :(

She gave me a few interviews about it. Unfortunately, it was still very much a work in progress by the time her health started to take a turn at the start of the year. :(

It's wonderful you were able to get even a few stories from her. What a wonderful piece that will no doubt be when you're able to complete it.

Fantastic banner, by the way! A very fitting tribute.

Goodby Vanda Theodora!

It's great that several of us made contact with her in the last few years.   I'll never forget our dinner out at a Palm Springs Restaurant (no, not "The Hot Water Bowl").  She was a spitfire to the end!

Vanda published obit:'

http://rosemortuary.tributes.com/obituary/show/Vanda-Theodora-Barra-102375447

The opening and closing credits of my tribute to Vanda.  In between, I strung together all her Lucy Show/Here's Lucy scenes along with anything else I could find ("The Doris Day Show")

Note the "SunTV" watermark logo.  This was before all HL had been released on DVD

• Like 4

Suggested viewing: "The Mothers In Law" episode where Susie is having the baby.  Through a series of calamities, Eve and Kaye lose Susie on the way to the hospital.  The head nurse is played by Alice Ghostley but the nurse at the intake desk is none other than our own Vanda Barra.  Having already had a run-in with them (described only), Nurse Barra sees them and lets out a scream.  When they confess they've lost Susie, Vanda does a great shrug to the audience and says "That figures."  Only problem is the director didn't have Vanda in the shot and we only see half of her, but it's a great take.

Speaking of takes, how about the triple one "Gladys" does when she sees her friend Lucy Collins in Vegas!  Not too many performers can pull off a triple take.

I would love to have seen her on stage in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf". She showed me her great reviews.

Goodby Vanda Theodora!

It's great that several of us made contact with her in the last few years.   I'll never forget our dinner out at a Palm Springs Restaurant (no, not "The Hot Water Bowl").  She was a spitfire to the end!

The opening and closing credits of my tribute to Vanda.  In between, I strung together all her Lucy Show/Here's Lucy scenes along with anything else I could find ("The Doris Day Show")

Note the "SunTV" watermark logo.  This was before all HL had been released on DVD

That's fabulous!!

Goodby Vanda Theodora!

Wow, nice tribute, she's supporting Lucy now in heaven.

My two favorite memories of the great Wanda are the waitress when Lucy orders hot water of course but the other one which gave Wanda a much bigger part was the one where Lucy, Mary Jane and Wanda are trying to lose weight and Harry's food is in Lucy's refrigerator, that was a gem.

Wanda...

Wanda-Clark.jpg

• Like 2

What a loss... very sad to hear.

Brock, would you be able to upload any of your conversations with her? It was very fascinating listening to your conversation with her last summer at the festival... I'd love to hear more.

I'll see what I can do. If there is audio editing software floating around, I'll try to do a compilation of her best quips on subjects ranging from Joan Crawford to the Widow Morton. ;)