Ethel Mertz vs Vivian Bagley/Jones

Which character do you prefer? Ethel seemed more like a schemer like her partner in crime Frowsy Ricardo but Vivian Bagley almost always did not want to go along with Lucy Carmichael's crazy ideas but reluctantly did most of the time, if not, she didn't take any of Lucy's BS. Like the one where Lucy thinks Mr. Mooney is embezzling money so they dug the hole in his backyard only to find an oil well and Viv just left Lucy there. And she was complaining most of the time while they set up for Tommy Sanford's birthday party, and of course when Lucy bought the sailboat.

I can't explain Vivian Jone's character but it seemed like a mix of Mertz and Bagley. In the Hawaii episode, Lucy and Viv were competing for the affections of the captain who they later found out was married. In the Tijuana episode, Lucy and Viv were acting like older versions of Lucy and Ethel. lol.

• Like 1

I prefer Mertz as that is a much more pure friendship. Bagley could be a bit of a beyotch on the occasion. Usually when she slipped into her half-British accent. Jones wasn't exactly consistent. Out of Viv's characters from 1962 onward, I prefer the one from Lucy Calls The President as it's much more sentimental. 

I prefer Mertz as that is a much more pure friendship. Bagley could be a bit of a beyotch on the occasion. Usually when she slipped into her half-British accent. Jones wasn't exactly consistent. Out of Viv's characters from 1962 onward, I prefer the one from Lucy Calls The President as it's much more sentimental. 

What British accent are you talking about?? Are you sure you're not confusing this with Keeping Up Appearances??? Oy! :blink:

What British accent are you talking about?? Are you sure you're not confusing this with Keeping Up Appearances??? Oy! :blink:

When Viv (and occasionally Ethel) would get competitive with Lucy, she would put on this hostile hoity toity thing. My immediate example of this would be her guest spot on HL Season 4 in the scene where Lucy comes to the office and discovers she's been replaced.

As much as I loved Viv on "The Lucy Show", I feel Bagley had a stick up her ass too much of the time. I think Vivian was so concerned with making Bagley differ from Mertz that she all too often left out the warmth. Part of it is how the character was written, too.

Fidelman said he never believed Sherman was her son, and I tend to agree. Pity Jack Donohue wasn't interested in developing the character relationships.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree with that, Lotus. And yes I do know of a couple instances where Viv had a slight British accent. lol

In some episodes she was incredibly warm and sweet. The first one comes to mind, and the end of the Christmas show. But in Drives a Dump Truck she's incredibly nasty and vindictive. I've also noticed that she tends to be more aloof and cold later in her run. Maybe part of it was Vivian's readiness to leave, or else the later writers didn't infuse the warmth into the character that Bob and Madelyn did.

• Like 1

When Viv (and occasionally Ethel) would get competitive with Lucy, she would put on this hostile hoity toity thing. My immediate example of this would be her guest spot on HL Season 4 in the scene where Lucy comes to the office and discovers she's been replaced.

OK but I still don't see how that gives her a British accent! :blink: