I Love Lucy Superstar Special Overnight Ratings

The big winner in last night's ratings was the Billboard Music Awards on ABC.  And that surely took in a lot of the youth demographic with a 3.7 rating in the 18-49 demo, and 11.10 million total viewers.  That's way ahead of last night's #2 show, America's Funniest Home Videos, also on ABC, which had a 1.4 in that category and preceded the Billboard Music Awards.  The "I Love Lucy" Superstar Special came in around the middle of the pack in terms of the 18-49 ratings demographic, with a 0.9 rating.  HOWEVER, it was the #3 rated show last night in terms of total viewers.  With with 6.41 million total viewers watching, the special followed #1 Billboard Music Awards (11.10 viewers) and 60 Minutes (8.70 million viewers).  America's Funniest Home Videos was #4 in total viewers with 6.40 million.  Unfortunately, last night's ratings lagged behind the original broadcasts of the two I Love Lucy Christmas specials, although it did better than the rebroadcasts of those same Christmas specials.  Overall, given the monster competition of the Billboard Music Awards on ABC I think it was a pretty good night.

Here's a ranking for each broadcast (including repeats) based on total viewers:

1) Dec 7, 2014: Christmas special featuring "Job Switching": 9.36 million viewers

2) Dec 13, 2013: Christmas special featuring "Lucy's Italian Movie":  8.65 million viewers

3) May 17, 2015: I Love Lucy Superstar Special (L.A. at Last/Superman): 6.41 million viewers.

4) Dec 25, 2013: Repeat of Christmas special featuring "Lucy's Italian Movie": 3.62 million viewers

5) Dec 24, 2014: Repeat of Christmas special featuring "Job Switching": 3.58 million viewers

Here are links to the ratings numbers for each broadcast (including the repeats)

Friday, December 13, 2013: 8.65 million; 1.4 for 18-49 demo ("Lucy's Italian Movie")

Wednesday, December 25, 2013: 3.62 million; 0.6 for 18-49 demo (REPEAT of "Lucy's Italian Movie")

Sunday, December 7, 2014:  9.36 million; 1.4 for 18-49 demo ("Job Switching")

Wednesday, December 24, 2014:  3.58 million; 0.7 for 18-49 demo (REPEAT of "Job Switching")

Sunday, May 17, 2015:  6.41 million; 0.9 for 18-49 demo ("L.A. at Last!" and "Lucy and Superman")

If they rebroadcast "Lucy Goes to the Hospital," will lightening strike twice in terms of numbers? Or would somebody connected with the show have to give birth again to create the same tie-in? :)

Jeez, if Peggy Rea only held on for four more years we could all chip in and send her to the fertility clinic.

• Like 2

Further number crunching reveals the Special was the highest rated scripted program of the entire night, besting all of FOX's Sunday night comedy lineup and the series finale of Mad Men!

Lucy and Desi continue to be Mad Men's Harry Crane's nemeses.

I had a hunch it would not due as well this time. Not sure if it was the month or just that this was the third time doing it.

Billboard I knew would win the night.

So did i, i knew Billboard would get the night, but number three for a sixty year old rerun was fine by me.

Further number crunching reveals the Special was the highest rated scripted program of the entire night, besting all of FOX's Sunday night comedy lineup and the series finale of Mad Men!

Lucy and Desi continue to be Mad Men's Harry Crane's nemeses.

Yeah, i LOVED Lucy beating Mad Men's series finale, LOL!