LuPone Bumps Lucy

Even a mock-Lucy is better than a real-Lupone. Never got what was so great about her.

Same here although that notorious diva personality of hers (on and off screen) is the biggest turn off.  Judging  by the reviews of her autobiography, she appears to  never forgotten a slight or a personality conflict and it's one of those payback tirade books.  Wonder if Carol Burnett (who is a fan of hers) agreed to write the forward to that thing before she read it, it seems so unlike Carol's own sensibility and personality. 

• Like 1

Same here although that notorious diva personality of hers (on and off screen) is the biggest turn off.  Judging  by the reviews of her autobiography, she appears to  never forgotten a slight or a personality conflict and it's one of those payback tirade books.  Wonder if Carol Burnett (who is a fan of hers) agreed to write the forward to that thing before she read it, it seems so unlike Carol's own sensibility and personality.

Carol wrote a forward to Patti's book? Wow, I missed that one. I don't remember that in any edition I've seen.

They say the Bway female trifecta is Bernadette, Betty and Patti. Only one I haven't seen is Patti and she is not on my list. I don't get her either.

I like some of her work but her hypocritical standards ultimately turn me off (When Glenn Close sings Norma in a lower key it's an unpardonable sin, but when she sings Gypsy in a lower key it's Tony worthy). Not to mention her terrifyingly obsessed fan base who loathe any female singer who has the audacity not to be her.

She seemed like such a bitch when she got Tha Tony for Gypsy. Like it had been so long. The other 2 people who beat her originate roles in years she did revivals.

I'm partial though because my fav Joanna Gleason beat her in 88'

The whole deal about her being "banned" from Gypsy and how she was only "allowed" to do it because the partner of Arthur Laurents made it his deathbed wish that Arthur would forgive her sum up everything I hate about hardcore theatre culture. Apparently you can only make it in NYC if you're a thin skinned, hot tempered Prima Donna with the ability to hold a blood boiling grudge for your entire life...and that's just Arthur Laurents, to say nothing of LuPone!

• Like 1

Wow- didn't know all this stuff about Patti! I always just thought she vocalized a little too much and overacted! I mean, I've heard her sing stuff where I had no idea what she was singing because it's so 'stylized'!

This is helpful:

• Like 1

The whole deal about her being "banned" from Gypsy and how she was only "allowed" to do it because the partner of Arthur Laurents made it his deathbed wish that Arthur would forgive her sum up everything I hate about hardcore theatre culture. Apparently you can only make it in NYC if you're a thin skinned, hot tempered Prima Donna with the ability to hold a blood boiling grudge for your entire life...and that's just Arthur Laurents, to say nothing of LuPone!

Why am i getting the impression you don't like the lady? :lucyhmm:

I don't know why they couldn't have combined the two with "Patty Lupone: Here's Lucy On Stage!" ---she's a little too old to do I Love Lucy.  Any episode recreation suggestions?

Patty is one of the few belters we have these days.  I long for the days when we had, not only Merman, but mary Martin (though not a belter), Judy Garland, Dolores Gray, Kaye Ballard and a host of others appearing regularly on stage--- including our own CAROLE COOK. 

• Like 1

I don't know why they couldn't have combined the two with "Patty Lupone: Here's Lucy On Stage!" ---she's a little too old to do I Love Lucy.  Any episode recreation suggestions?

Patty is one of the few belters we have these days.  I long for the days when we had, not only Merman, but mary Martin (though not a belter), Judy Garland, Dolores Gray, Kaye Ballard and a host of others appearing regularly on stage--- including our own CAROLE COOK.

I love her voice for certain songs but her personality turns me off.

Great idea, though!

• Like 1

I agree, whatever happened to the great stage BELTER?  No need for microphones for those ladies.

Carol wrote a forward to Patti's book? Wow, I missed that one. I don't remember that in any edition I've seen.

I've never read - or touched - that book but years ago I pulled it up on Amazon in one of those "you may also like" searches and didn't read the intro correctly,  Carol didn't actually write the forward but writes a review for it that is used as publicity for it.  You can read it at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Patti-LuPone-A-Memoir/dp/0307460746