Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 1 - December

leenorman

December 1

Torben Meyer, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, RKO Radio, Roberta, 1935 and The Farmer in the Dell, 1936; co-stars, in uncredited role, with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) The Blue Veil, 1951; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1953; as well as (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1956, is born this date in 1884.

Norman Leavitt, Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, A Woman of Distinction, 1950; veteran supporting cast member and co-star, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz film The Long, Long Trailer, 1953, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1956, 2 episodes, 1958; Whirlybirds, 1957; The Texan, 1958, 1959; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 2 episodes, 1958, 1960; Desilu Productions’, The Untouchables, 2 episodes, 1961; Desilu-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 2 episodes, 1961, The Andy Griffith Show, as Wally, 6 episodes, 1960-1963; as well as Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1962, is born this date in 1913.

Mary Martin, stars, with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Rhythm on the River, 1940; in movie version of Vivian Vance's 1939 stage play, Kiss the Boys Goodbye, 1941, with veteran supporting Lucille Ball cast member, Elizabeth Patterson; Lucille Ball friend and guest co-star (parody: The Lucy Show, 1966, prompting commentary by Mary years later); and co-star with Lucille Ball, and many others, in Bob Hope Special: Women I Love: Beautiful But Funny, as well as Night of 100 Stars, with Lucie Arnaz, 1982, is born this date in 1913.

Paul Picerni, veteran Lucy supporting cast member; with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) film, The Secret Fury, 1950; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 1954, 1957; Desilu-filmed, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1959; Desilu Productions', The Scarface Mob, 1959; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 2 episodes, 1959; co-star, Desilu Productions' Alcatraz Express, 1960; The Untouchables [83 episodes] - 1960-1963; guest, Desilu Productions' Here's Hollywood, 1962, The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; Desilu-filmed, Hogan's Heroes, 1967; Lucille's guest (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1970, 3 episodes, 1971; as well as A Lucille Ball Special Starring Lucille Ball and Dean Martin “Lucy Gets Luckyâ€, 1975, is born this date in 1922.

Dick Shawn, appears with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1955; Lucille guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1968, is born this date 1923.

Malachi Throne, Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 2 episodes, 1962, 1963; Star Trek, 2 episodes, 1966; Mannix, 1967; star, Desilu-filmed, Police Story, as Garrison, 1967; as well as Mission: Impossible, 1967, 1969, is born this date in 1928.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) became a star in her first co-starring role, as Stephanie Stephanovich, in Hooray for What!, on Broadway's Winter Garden Theater, 200 performances, greeted with generally positive reviews, co-starrring Ed Wynn and Roy Roberts, another Lucy veteran supporting cast member, on Broadway, running through May 21, 1938, beginning on this date in 1937.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) stars in Whistling In Brooklyn, released this date in 1947.

Hollywood Citizen News, The Hollywood Scene, by Lowell E. Redelings: “Clark Gable's first radio show since his Army discharge will be the Screen Guild dramatization of China Seas, with Lucille Ball,†published this date in 1944.

Staff Sergeant Desi Arnaz is honorably discharged from the US Army (and on to musical stardom at Ciro's), this date in 1945.

Keith Thibodeaux, stage name Richard Keith, stars as Little Ricky (“I Love Lucyâ€) in 23 episodes, during 1956 and 1957; (“I Love Lucyâ€) Christmas Show, 1956; Desilu Productions', Whirleybirds, 1957; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 3 episodes, 1958, 1959; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 10 episodes, 1957-60; and The Lucy Show, 2 episodes, 1964; Desilu-filmed, The Andy Griffith Show, 12 episodes, as Johnny Paul Jason 1962-1966; and (“I Love Lucyâ€) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, as Keith Thibodeaux; Guest Headliner, Jamestown NY's Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum Birthday Celebration 1999, as well as appearances several more times between 2003 and 2009, is born this date in 1950.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Loses His Voice†– with veteran co-stars, Barbara Pepper and Hazel Pierce, Ricky has laryngitis; an episode in which Lucy actually gets in the act, Lucy and the Mertzes put on the show themselves, airing this date in 1952.

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Lucille Gets First Surprise on 13th Nuptial Anniversary Hollywood (AP) “After 13 years of married life, Desi Arnaz finally surprised Lucille Ball yesterday,†on this date in 1953.

Allison S. Graham, director of publicity, American Export Lines, will oversee production of the two (“I Love Lucyâ€) European vacation episodes, and Jack Aldworth, Desilu Productions requested Graham remain throughout the shoot, until at least 12/8, due to the complicated technical production; authenticity of the Constitution in preparation for the transatlantic voyage; and other matters, this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Bon Voyage†veteran supporting co-stars, Kathryn Card, Elizabeth Patterson, the Mayer Twins, as Little Ricky, and Bob Carroll, Jr., writer Lucy misses ship and arrives by helicopter, and filmed this date in 1955.

CBS' (The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse Presents the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show) - arguably the strongest of all thirteen 1957-60 Lucy-Desi hours, the program wins excellent reviews: “Lucy Makes Room for Dannyâ€, Jerry Thorpe, Director, Jay Sandrich, Assistant Director; starring Lucille, Desi; guest co-starring, Danny Thomas, Marjorie Lord, Angela Cartwright, Rusty Hamer; Gale Gordon; Keith Thibodeaux (Little Ricky), and Vivian Vance and William Frawley (The Mertzes) - (a professional reunion for Marjorie (Kathy Williams) and Vivian (Ethel) - one-time roommates and co-stars during their struggling Broadway years); revolves around Lucy and Ricky going to California where he will film a movie; rent their Connecticut home to the Williams' family; picture is shelved; Lucy and Ricky move in with the Mertzes; all three couples argue and sue one another before Judge, Gale Gordon; with Bert Granet, Producer, Desi Arnaz, Executive Producer; Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf, Writers; Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., Script Consultants; Wilbur Hatch, original music, with E.C. Norton, Music Editor; Eliot Daniel, Composer; Theme Music; W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor; James A. Paisley, Production Manager (second of eight episodes); Irma Kusely, Hair Stylist, with Costumer for twelve episodes, Della Fox; with Charles West, Art Department; and Rerecording Editor, Robert Reeve, airing this date in 1958.

Variety: “ . . . a top comedy effort, 'Lucy Makes Room for Danny,'†published this date in 1958.

The Hollywood Reporter: “ . . . one of the funniest shows ever on television this Lucy show - 'Lucy Makes Room for Danny', is a classic,†published this date in 1958.

Wildcat opens, Alvin Theater; an immediate hit due, largely, to Lucille Ball's presence on stage, with fans anxious to see Lucy Ricardo in person, this date in 1960.

New York Herald Tribune, Don Ross: “Oil on Broadway; Lucy on the Trail,†published this date in 1960.

Desilu-filmed, My Favorite Martian, “Rocket To Marsâ€, with Ray Walston, Bill Bixby, and co-starring Lucy 'veterans, J. Pat O'Malley, Vito Scotti, and others, airs this date in 1963.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and Johnny Carson†- Ray Singer, writer - Lucy and Harry crash the show without tickets; win free meals at Brown Derby Restaurant; and then run into guest co-star, Johnny Carson, at the restaurant, airing this date in 1969.

Jack Chefe, co-star, Lucille Ball, early film-career, 1936, 1942, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1942, again with Lucille,1947; and with Frawley, 1950; as well as guest cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, 1956, as well as co-star, Forever Darling, 1956, dies this date in 1975.

Lucie Arnaz stars, with many others, in Michael Keaton's A Different Approach, an all-star educational film about the positive side of hiring people with disabilities - a live-action short film, directed by Fern Field, written by James Belcher, which was nominated for an Oscar, film shown at the Los Feliz Theatre, LA, on this date in 1978.

Eagle Rock Entertainment Public Broadcast Service (PBS) Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archive footage; veteran cast members, Gale Gordon and Doris Singleton, via archive footage; Fred Ball, Lucille's brother; Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., writers (“I Love Lucyâ€); William Asher and Maury Thompson, Directors; as well as Lucie Arnaz, via arhival footage, appear in a documentary: American Masters: Finding Lucy, broadcast on this date in 2000.

TV Guide Magazine - 11/22--12/5/2010 - On page 6, there is a story on Conan [O'Brien] and a few quotes including this one by George Lopez: 'Sixty years ago, a Latino and a redhead made TV history with ('I Love Lucy').' History repeats itself with Conan O'Brien and with George Lopez. Team Coco, say hello to Team Loco!â€, published this week in 2010.

December 2

Donald Woods, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, Beauty For The Asking, 1939, also starring Leon Belasco, and Patric Knowles, uncredited, is born this date in 1906.

Ray Walston, star, Desilu-filmed, My Favorite Martian, as Uncle Martin, 107 episodes, 1963-1966, appears with Desi Arnaz IV, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, 1972; as well as with Lucie Arnaz, The Mike Douglas Show, 1972, is born this date in 1914.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, newlyweds, congratulated by Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, who host a champagne party at Chasen's Restaurant, West Hollywood, wishing them well, in 1940.

NY Daily: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, newlyweds, obliged the RKO Publicity Department with an interview,†this date in 1940.

LA Times: “Desi Arnaz bought Lucille Ball a gold pin in the shape of a key engraved “Nursery for their 6th wedding anniversary; but, it was stolen out of his car,†published this date in 1946.

Hollywood Citizen News: “Edgar Bergen to Appear at Tribute Dinner - Desi Arnaz & Orchestra, among many other stars, will perform,†published this date in 1948.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “College Homecomingâ€, co-starring veteran supporting cast member, Richard Crenna, and guest co-star, Jerry Hausner, airing this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Trying to Marry Off Peggy Martinâ€, co-starring veteran supporting cast members, Hans Conried and Sandra Gould, airing this date in 1950.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “L.A. At Last†– guest co-starring, William Holden and Eve Arden, with veteran cast members, Bobby Jellison, Harry Bartell, Dayton Lummis, and Alan Ray, among others, hysterical episode wherein Lucy sets her nose afire, filmed this date in 1954.

Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) appears on TeleVues cover this date in 1962.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy Puts Out a Fire at the Bank†- financial troubles for the Volunteer Fire Department in Danfield, airs this date in 1963.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy's Working Daughter†- Bob O'Brien, writer - Kim gets her first after-school job; Lucy spends a fortune making purchases from her; the first episode spotlighting Kim, airing this date in 1968.

Edward Stevenson, costume designer, Lucille Ball film and television-career friend and designer - RKO, 1936; 1938; 1939, 1940, 1941; 1949; 35 episodes of (“I Love Lucyâ€) between 1955-1957; The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1960; The Facts of Life, 1960, for which Edward won his solitary Academy Award for Black and White Costume Design, in tandem with colleague and competitor, Edith Head; Mr. & Mrs., 1964, Lucy In London, 1966, and 34 episodes of The Lucy Show between 1962-1967, dies this date in 1968.

Ed Herlihy hosts The Kraft Music Hall: “The Kraft Music Hall Presents Robert Young†- Lucie Arnaz, is the guest star in a special, airing this date in 1970.

William Tannen, son of Lucille Ball childhood mentor, Julius Tannen and Lucille early-career co-star, 1945, 1946, dies this date in 1976.

Lucille Ball guest appears on NBC TV Password Plus, airing this date in 1981.

Lucille Ball taped five shows for NBC Super Password, this date in 1986.

Desi Arnaz dies of lung cancer at the age of 69 at 12:05 a.m. in his Del Mar, California home; and was cremated this date in 1986.

LA Times: “Desi Arnaz, Who Loved Lucyâ€. . ., published this date in 1986.

Desert Magazine (Palm Springs): “Obituary, Desi Arnaz,†published this date in 1986.

Robert Cummings, Lucille Ball guest co-star, Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, 1959; Desilu-filmed, My Living Doll, 1964-65; and (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1972, 1973, dies this date in 1990.

TV Guide Magazine - 11/22--12/5/2010 - On page 6, there is a story on Conan [O'Brien] and a few quotes including this one by George Lopez: 'Sixty years ago, a Latino and a redhead made TV history with ('I Love Lucy').' History repeats itself with Conan O'Brien and with George Lopez. Team Coco, say hello to Team Loco!â€, published this week in 2010.

December 3

Andy Williams, guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood “Episode dated October 11, 1962; guest, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Joey Bishop Show, 1964; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around The World With The Troops - 1941-1972, 1980, is born this date in 1927.

Lucille Ball appears, uncredited, as a girl, in RKO Radio, Winterset, starring John Carradine, Eduardo Ciannelli, Paul Fix, Burgess Meredith, and Barbara Pepper, released this date in 1936.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Lucille Ball telephoned friends in Hollywood that she was married with a ten-cent wedding ring when she and Desi didn't have time to shop for one, so stopped at a dime store en route to Connecticut. After the ceremony, Lucille and Desi came right back to the Roxy Theater, where Desi had to play five shows a day - friends were waiting with rice packets, and Desi carried Lucille over the threshold of his dressing room. Even if RKO lets Lucille stay in NY until after the first of the year, the star faces a long separation from her bridegroom. She'll have to come back to Hollywood. Desi isn't due here until next June,†published this date in 1940.

Nearly 16 million Americans (up from 14 million on 11/5/51) are tuning in to (“I Love Lucyâ€), as of this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Men are Messy†- Lucy likes it neat; Ricky messes it up; she divides the apartment in half; based, in part, on My Favorite Husband, “George is Messyâ€, airing this date in 1951.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky Minds the Babyâ€, with the Mayer Twins, as Little Ricky, in which Ricky, on vacation takes over babysitting duties, filmed this date in 1953.

CBS' The Lucy Show 30-minutes, black & white this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball? classic 1960's sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucyâ€) on Sundays had done so well for CBS, it decides to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucyâ€) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1955.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricardos Visit Cubaâ€, the Ricardos and Mertzes fly from Florida to Havana for a family reunion and a professional appearance, airing this date in 1956.

The Ford Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Show “The Celebrity Next Doorâ€, guest co-starring Tallulah Bankhead - Lucy and Ethel, with binoculars, see a star moving in next door, and when she comes calling, Fred and Ethel pose as the maid and butler, and which episode is one of the Arnazes best, ratings at nearly 40%, 15.738 million homes; Re-recording Editor, Robert Reeve, and E.C. Norton, Music Editor, as well as Della Fox, Costumer for twelve episodes, airing this date in 1957.

Variety: “Desilu Productions placed 565,600 common-stock shares on the market at $10/share, proceeds to be utilized for 'corporate purposes', including payments to RKO Teleradio for the two studios purchased from it by Desilu,†published this date in 1958.

Desilu, to raise revenue for Desi Arnaz business and personal expenses, goes public - American Stock Exchange - $10 per share, 565,600 shares, this date in 1958.

Bob Hope and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) are signed to appear on Lucy Goes to Broadway television special, written by Madelyn Pugh Martin Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., directed by Bill Asher - ultimately cancelled in May, by an exhausted Lucille Ball, after her Wildcat collapse, and which was set to air this date in 1961.

The Lucy Show, “Vivian Sues Lucy†- Viv falls and Lucy has forgotten to renew her liability insurance; waits on Viv hand and foot so she won't sue; the last aired appearance of veteran supporting cast member, Charles Lane, as Mr. Barnsdahl, airing this date in 1962.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “The Wreckerâ€, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring, Howard Caine, Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell , among others, airs this date in 1963.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC, Jack Benny's New Look, if for no other reason than to come on stage, slap his face; and ask why he hadn't invited her on his Special, airing this date in 1969.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Harry Catches Gold Fever†- Harry, claiming to be an environmentalist, buys a recluse spread, suspecting gold, airing this date in 1973.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS' A Lucille Ball Special Starring Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason “Three For Two†- three short playlets shot with one camera and a laugh track, also starring Vanda Barra, veteran Lucy supporting cast member, DVD released in 2009, airing this date in 1975.

NY Times, John J. O'Connor Review of A Lucille Ball Special, Starring Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason,†published this date in 1975.

Lucille Ball makes a guest appearance on The Tonight Show, hosted by Johnny Carson; also appearing, Sandy Duncan, Morgan Fairchild, and Betty White, airing this date in 1984.

NY Times: “Desi Arnaz - TV Pioneer . . . ,†published this date in 1986.

The Kansas City Times: “Arnaz called pioneer, businessman,†published this date in 1986.

LA Times, Burt Folkart: “Desi Arnaz, TV Lucy's Loving Co-star, Dies,†published this date in 1986.

Madeline Kahn, Saturday Night Live, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' friend; appears with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) 50 Years of Funny Females, via archival footage, 1995, dies this date in 1999.

The Lucy Lounge Website - 'LucieLau' - “An Evening With Lucie Arnaz – Musical Director, Ron Abel December 8-13 the RRAZZ room, at the Hotel NIKKO SF San Francisco's Premiere Night Club,†posted this date in 2009.

December 4

Isobel Randolph, co-stars with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), Sandy Gets Her Man, 1940, It Happened in Flatbush, 1942, co-stars with Lucille Ball, Look Who's Laughing, 1941, Best Foot Forward, 1943, The Dark Corner, 1946; occasional guest cast member, with Lucille, My Favorite Husband, 1948; with Lucille, The Fuller Brush Girl, 1950; guest stars, Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks, 1952; guest stars, with Frawley, Desilu Studios-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 1958; guest stars, Desilu Productions', December Bride, 5 episodes, 1957-1959, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1958; guest stars, Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Red Skelton Show, 6 episodes, between 1957-1958; co-stars with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), The Red Skelton Show, 1962; The Dick Van Dyke Show, 3 episodes, 1962; as well as guest, The Joey Bishop Show, 1963, is born this date in 1889.

Jamestown Morning Post, Jamestown NY - Lucille Ball Again Hits High Spot in Cantor Film - Hollywood, Dec. 3 (Special) “Motion picture directors are wearing dark glasses these days, confronted with dealing with a blonde young lady from Jamestown, N.Y., Miss Lucille Ball, who is stepping to the front in pictures by leaps and bounds . . . . plays minor roles . . . first real chance came a short time ago, when she got a part in Eddie Cantor's new cinema production, ‘Kid Millions', after which Columbia Studio executives gave Lucille a contract for several forthcoming Columbia pictures publishedâ€, this date in 1934.

Hollywood Citizen News, Radio: “Clark Gable will recreate his screen role, and Lucille Ball co-stars on CBS Radio, Screen Guild Players, KNX: 'Seas',†published this date in 1944.

Lucille Ball appears with Clark Gable, CBS Radio's, The Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater, “China Seaâ€, airing this date in 1944.

LA Evening Herald Express, Harrison Carroll: “Desi Arnaz has his Army discharge and his release from MGM. He's incorporating himself and one of his first assignments will be a series of broadcasts to South America for the office in Inter-American Affairs published this date in 1945.

Hollywood Citizen News, Bob Thomas: “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz celebrating their fifth anniversary at Ciro's . . . were chatting with Frances Langford, who was also showing off a new civilian Jon Hall,†published this date in 1945.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning appear, My Favorite Husband, Episode #21, with veteran supporting cast member, Hans Conried, Joe Kearns, and Jean VanderPyl, this episode the basis for My Favorite Husband, #93, “Be A Palâ€, airs this date in 1948.

Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, “Pursuit of a Princessâ€, co-starring, Dick Elliott and Ida Moore, among others, airs on this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions' Yancy Derringer, Jock Mahoney, as Yancy, among many others, “Memo To A Firing Squadâ€, co-starring, among many others, Robert Rockwell, with Lucy and Desilu veterans W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor and Don E. Sharpe, Executive Producer, airs this date in 1958.

Desi Arnaz appears as host for Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “The Hanging Judgeâ€, starring Parley Baer, Buddy Ebsen, and James Whitmore, airs on this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy and the Pool Hustler†- Bob O'Brien, writer - a pool hall has opened catering to women near the Bank; Lucy enters a contest to win $1,000, Dick Shawn, in drag, as guest co-star, as well as veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Vanda Barra, airing this date in 1967.

Lucille Ball is recipient of Laurel Award for Yours, Mine & Ours, this date in 1968.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC, A Show Business Salute to Milton Berle, a Friars Club Roast, on the occasion of his sixtieth year in television, airing this date in 1973.

The Memorial Service for Desi Arnaz is held at St. James Catholic Church, Solana Beach, California, friend Danny Thomas delivering the eulogy, with a loving tribute by parochial school children who stood silently on the sloping grounds around the church, having heard ‘Ricky Ricardo' died, this date in 1986.

LA Times: “More to Remember Than Babaloo: What About Desi Arnaz?†published this date in 1986.

Desert Sun (Riverside, California), Mike Hughes: “Reflection on Arnazâ€, published this date in 1986.

Desert Sun (Riverside, California): “The Arnaz Wayâ€, published this date in 1986.

Lucille Ball appears in the December 4 issue of Woman's World Magazine, page 5, announced this date in 2007.

Bryan O'Byrne, guest star, Desilu-filmed, My Favorite Martian, 1963, and Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1963; Lucille Ball guest, The Lucy Show 1966; as well as with Desi Arnaz IV Love, American Style 1971, dies this date in 2009.

December 5

Walt Disney, appears with Lucille Ball, Show Business at War, 1943; appears with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, Toast of the Town, 1956 and 1958; with Lucille, Hedda Hopper's Hollywood, 1960; as well as with Lucille, Hollywood Without Make-Up, 1963, is born this date in 1905.

Tommy Thompson, Director, many-years' experience with Lucille Ball and Desilu Studio'; Desilu Productions', Sheriff of Cochise, assistant director, 2 episodes, 1957; Director, Desilu Studios-filmed Man With A Camera, 1 episode, 1958; Assistant Director, Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1959; Whirlybirds, 1959; Assistant Director, Lucille-produced Mr. and Mrs., 1964; as well as The Lucy Show: Director, 5 episodes, 1962-65, Associate Producer, 1 episode, 1965, and Producer, 72 episodes, 1965-68, is born this date in 1927.

LA Evening Herald Express, Big ad for That's Right, You're Wrong, with Lucille Ball, published this date in 1939.

Desi Arnaz took Lucille Ball to Cedars of Lebanon Hospital in California, and she ultimately suffers a miscarriage, in 1949.

Paul Harvey, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1934, 1935, dies this date in 1955.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Nursery School†- Little Ricky's entry into nursery school is traumatic when he develops tonsillitis; requires hospitalization and removal, with Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Allan Ray, airing this date in 1955.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) appears on the Tennessee Ernie Ford Show, airing this date in 1955.

Desilu Productions' Fractured Flickers, with Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Hans Conried, Host, who explains what a 'fractured flicker' is; introduces several wacky segments and interviews guests, co-starring this segment, Anna Maria Alberghetti and semi-regulars, June Foray, Paul Frees and Harry Langdon, which airs on this date in 1963.

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - The Voice of Broadway: by Dorothy Kilgallen Jottings in Pencil - Lucille Ball Looking for Broadway Script, Say Friends “Lucille Ball's friends say she's looking for 'the right script' for tackling Broadway again, but the realists doubt it. Her experience in ‘Wildcat’ was a disaster, at the height of her popularity, so why should she buck the critics again, since she's a zillionairess,†published this date in 1964.

The Lucy Show “Lucy and the Monkey A.K.A. 'Mooney, the Monkey†- Bob O'Brien, writer, when guest co-star Hal March, leaves his pet monkey in Mooney's office, Lucy hallucinates, airing this date in 1966.

Lucille Ball appears on The David Frost Revue a half-hour of satire of the success of his TV Show, this date in 1971.

Lucille Ball, as Ringmaster, and Lucie Arnaz appear on CBS’ 2nd Annual Circus of the Stars, one of seventeen specials, also appearing many other stars, between 1977 and 1992, with each featuring popular performers acting as Ringmaster, this date in 1977.

Biography Channel: “American Classics: Celebration of Comedienne Lucille Ball,†is aired in 2001.

The Post- Journal, Jamestown NY - Information Center - In Years Past - 50 Years Ago: “Jamestown is planning a major production of its own with an all-Jamestown cast to greet a favorite daughter and her husband when they arrive here in three weeks for the world premiere of Forever Darling. MGM public relations officials here meeting with the local planning committee, said Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz are definitely slated, weather permitting, to arrive here by helicopter at noon February 6â€, published this date in 2005.

The Post- Journal, Jamestown NY, by Patrick Fanelli - Lucie, Desi Jr. Depart With Clark, Rapaport; Spots Filled With Locals - "Members of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center board of directors, including Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz Jr., have left the board and have been replaced with local residents, organization officials confirmed. Other departures include Wanda Clark, Lucille Ball's longtime personal secretary, and Mary Rapaport, a Buffalo area resident and an active supporter of the Lucy-Desi community. In a statement issued to The Post-Journal November 30, Ms. Arnaz attributed her resignation to conflicts she was unable to resolve. The four former board members live outside the area and have been replaced with local residents like William Daly, Chautauqua County Planning and Economic Development director, and Carolyn Seymour, former Jamestown mayor and Chautauqua Home Rehabilitation and Improvement Corp. deputy director. The other two replacements are Jamestown attorney C. Edward Fagan and Charles Ludwig, owner of Ludwig Auction and Realty Co. [Research Note: Eric Cohler resigned on December 31, the only remaining original Board member then is Melody Thomas Scott, long-time TV actress, Young & The Restless],†published on this date in 2007.

Beverly Garland, appears in Desilu Productions', Wire Service, 1956, 1957; Yancy Derringer, 2 episodes 1958-59; Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz guest co-star, The Desilu Playhouse, 1960; Desilu Productions', The Mothers-in-Law 1968; Mannix, 1968; and (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1969; as well as with Desi Arnaz IV, in The Voyage of the Yes, 1973, dies this date in 2008.

Nina Foch, guest co-star, Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963; as well as co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) The Great Houdini, 1976, dies this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Information Center - In Years Past - 10 Years Ago - “Millions of TV viewers would learn about Jamestown, The Lucy-Desi Museum and the City's annual Lucy-Desi Days Festival in an upcoming sweepstakes promotion sponsored by Nick At Nite on Nickelodeon Network. After visiting the Jamestown area in August, the network that was known for preserving television's heritage decided to take things a step farther in honor of Lucille Ball and her fans. The 'Lucy Sweepstakes' would offer as a grand prize two round-trip tickets to Jamestown during Lucy-Desi Days 2000, plus $1,000 in spending money and special seating at all Festival events,†published this date in 2009.

TV Guide Magazine - 11/22--12/5/2010 - On page 6, there is a story on Conan [O'Brien] and a few quotes including this one by George Lopez: 'Sixty years ago, a Latino and a redhead made TV history with ('I Love Lucy').' History repeats itself with Conan O'Brien and with George Lopez. Team Coco, say hello to Team Loco!â€, published through this date in 2010.

December 6

Agnes Moorehead, Lucille Ball's co-star, The Big Street, 1942, and friend for all ensuing years; co-star with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz) The Blue Veil, 1951; guest co-star; Desilu Productions Harrigan & Son, 1960; You Don't Say, 1964; as well as The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, is born this date in 1900.

Wally Cox, the infamous ‘Mr. Peepers’ in the early 50's television, one of Lucille Ball's favorite guest co-stars, The Lucy Show, 1963; Desilu Productions' Mission: Impossible, 1966; Desilu Studios-filmed The Dick Van Dyke Show, 1966, and Vacation Playhouse, 1967; Lucille Ball film A Guide For the Married Man, 1967; (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1969; 2 episodes, 1970, 1972; as well as guest-appears twice with Desi Arnaz The Hollywood Squares, 1972; is born this date in 1924.

Hollywood Citizen News, That's Right, You're Wrong, Carl Combs: “Radio and the cinema continue to swap talent with about equal advantage and disadvantage to each, depending on how you look at it and whether you want to argue about it; Lucille Ball, as Sandra Sand, the cinema glamour girl, short on brains; but, long on glamor . . .†published this date in 1939.

LA Evening Herald Express, That's Right, You're Wrong, W.E. Oliver: “Lucille as a glamour girl, ruffling back Kyser's false hair front piece, while he transplants his moustache on Miss Ball's face during the romantic tussle,†published this date in 1939.

LA Examiner, That's Right, You're Wrong, an RKO Radio picture, Erskine Johnson: “Lucille Ball, a lah-de-dah glamour girl, in a hilariously funny love scene,†published this date in 1939.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra perform in the Rose Room, Palace Hotel, San Francisco, CA, on this date in 1947.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform, (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Ricky's Contract†- Ricky awaiting the results of his screen test, airing this date in 1954.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Wants To Move To The Countryâ€â€“ with Lucy falling in love with an Early American house for sale, filmed this date in 1956.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear in a two-page advertisement for Westinghouse in the Saturday Evening Post this date in 1958.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy Saves Milton Berle†- Lucy, Mooney and veteran supporting cast member, Mary Jane Croft, volunteer at a soup kitchen, where guest co-star, Milton Berle is incognito; Lucy takes him home, airing this date in 1965.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS', From Hollywood with Love: “The Ann-Margret Specialâ€, one of Lucille's best variety appearances, also guest co-starring Dean Martin, among others, airing this date in 1969.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy in the Jungle†- Harry needs to get away; Lucy arranges a place in Kenya a hut, heat, animals and insects, airing this date in 1971.

Lucille Ball and Gary Morton guest appear on ABC's The Barbara Walters' Summer Special, interviewed from their home and back yard in Beverly Hills, airing this date in 1977.

Don Ameche, appears with Lucille Ball, NBC Radio's Screen Guild Theatre, You Belong to Me, 1950; guest Desilu Productions' The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; with Lucille The American Film Institute Salute to Billy Wilder, 1986; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; as well as with Lucille The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts, 1987, dies this date in 1993.

Eliot Daniel, Disney arranger and lyricist, and (“I Love Lucyâ€) theme music composer; incidental music for the first few seasons; theme music for Desilu Productions' December Bride; Composer, Willy, 16 episodes, 1954; Those Whiting Girls, 6 episodes, 1955; (“I Love Lucyâ€) Christmas Show, 1956; Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour , 1957; and Angel, 1960; wrote (“I Love Lucyâ€) theme played in The Mambo Kings, starring Desi Arnaz IV, 1992, dies at the age of 89, this date in 1997.

Lucie Arnaz Website: Lucie Arnaz will appear in concert at the Rrazz Room, San Francisco, California, through the 13th of December, on this date in 2009.

December 7

Paul Power, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1953, 1957, is born this date in 1902.

Clarence Straight, co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) Moonlight In Havana, 1942, The Fighting Seabees, 1944, Hit Parade of 1947, 1947, and The Babe Ruth Story, 1948; guest cast member, (“I Love Lucyâ€), 1955, as well as Desilu Productions' The Texan, 1959, is born this date in 1908.

Eli Wallach, guest co-star Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1958, is born this date in 1915.

Ellen Burstyn, guest co-star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960; Desilu Productions', Kraft Mystery Theater, 1962; The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964; appears with Lucie Arnaz, The 33rd Annual Tony Awards, with Lucie, The 38th Annual Golden Globe Awards, with Lucie, The 35th Annual Tony Awards, with Lucie, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Desi Arnaz IV, I Love Liberty, as well as with Lucille Ball and Lucie, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985, is born this date in 1932.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were in NYC when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and flew immediately home to be with their families and to protect their ranch, this date in 1941.

Panatomime Quiz KTLA, LA, 30 minutes black & white a pioneer television effort is a variation of the party game charades. Lucille Ball appears on the early version of this game which was a long-running program of over nine years, on network television, 1950; resurfacing, 1962 as Stump the Stars, airing this date in 1947.

Desi Arnaz and the Desi Arnaz Orchestra record the background music for CBS-TV (“I Love Lucyâ€), Episode #14, filmed this date in 1951.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform, (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Changing the Boys' Wardrobe†- cast member, Alberto Calderone, as Alberto - Ricky and Fred want to wear old clothes to the movies, based, in part, on My Favorite Husband “Husbands Are Sloppy Dressersâ€, airing this date in 1953.

CBS executive, Martin Leeds, realizing the volatile state of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' marriage, convinced them to sign a buy/sell agreement whereby one of them could end business partnership by offering to buy the other out, in 1953.

The Theater Magazine Spotlight features Lucille Ball in a full-cover-head shot, Wildcat, in 1960.

The Lucy Show, “Lucy Gets the Bird†- Lucy and Viv bird sit for Mooney's parakeet; it escapes; they buy another, airing this date in 1964.

Sean Morgan, Lucy veteran supporting cast member, co-stars in Desilu Productions' Mannix, “Night Out of Townâ€, airing this date in 1968.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy Loses Her Cool†- as guest on The Art Linkletter Show, Lucy promises not to lose her temper, co-starring veteran Lucy supporting cast member, Vanna Barra, and airing this date in 1970.

Gail Bonney, Lucille Ball film co-star, 1950; co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1950; co-star William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1951; cast member, as Mrs. Hudson (“I Love Lucyâ€) (Vance appears without Frawley), 1952; Lucille's guest, and co-star, Vivian, (The Lucy Show), 1965; co-star, Lucie Arnaz , 1975; dies this date in 1984.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California), Dan Bernstein: “Desi . . . ,“ published this date in 1986.

Film Comment, Jeanine Basinger: “Ladies Matinee,†published in 1999.

Lucie Arnaz Website: Lucie Arnaz will appear in concert at the Rrazz Room, San Francisco, California, through the 13th of December, on this date in 2009.

December 8

Lee J. Cobb, in Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, is born this date in 1911.

Sammy Davis, Jr., guest star, Desilu Productions' The Walter Winchell Show, 1956; long-time friend and guest co-star of Lucille Ball, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1970, with Lucille, CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976, Happy Birthday, Bob, 1978; Sinatra: The First 40 Years, 1980; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; All-Star Party for Carol Burnett, 1982, All-Star Party for Lucille Ball, 1984; archivally, with Lucille That's Dancing! 1985; All-Star Party for Clint Eastwood, 1986; Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; The Kennedy Center Honors: A Celebration of the Performing Arts, Sammy, as Honoree, 1987; The 61st Annual Academy Awards, 1989; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; as well as with Lucille, both via archival footage, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993, is born this date in 1925.

Maximilian Schell, Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz guest co-star, The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; as well as Desilu Productions' Here's Hollywood, 1961, is born this date in 1930.

Flip Wilson, Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here's Lucyâ€), 1971, is born this date in 1933.

Columbia film, Three Little Pigskins, The Three Stooges (Larry Fine, Moe and Curly Howard) and Lucille Ball, is released this date in 1934.

Lucille Ball’s most honored RKO film, Stage Door, as Judith, is also a commercial success, and the picture is nominated for four Academy Awards, Lucille's highest billing to date, co-starring Eve Arden, Jack Carson, Ralph Forbes, Katharine Hepburn, Adolphe Menjou, Ann Miller, Ginger Rogers; in uncredited roles, Hilary Brooke, Jack Gargan, among many others, released on this date in 1937.

James MacArthur, Helen Hayes' son, of Hawaii-50 fame, 1968-79; guest star, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959, and Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1961, is born this date in 1937.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), stars in Monsieur Verdoux, released this date in 1947.

Lucille Ball, although not eager to move to television, is allowed to appear as a featured guest on other people's shows to promote My Favorite Husband Radio Show, and films. She, therefore, makes a leap into television, LAKTTV (local LA, California Station), with Peter Lind Hayes, Inside The USA, With Chevrolet, playing a dance hostess, in a sketch teaming her with the show's host, this date in 1949.

King Features Syndicate (“I Love Lucyâ€) Comic Strip, drawn by Oskner & written by Nadel, in 132 daily newspapers, is launched this date in 1952.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra, perform, (“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy Is Enceinteâ€, infamous episode in which Lucy has difficulty telling Ricky they?e going to have a child in the way she had dreamed of telling him, airing this date in 1952.

TV columnist Jack Gould: “Miss Ball and Mr. Arnaz not only handled the topic of their approaching baby with a great deal of taste and skill but, have been thoroughly amusing in the process,and was generally in approval of the pregnancy episodes, this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucyâ€) “Lucy's Second Honeymoonâ€â€“ in which Ricky's busy schedule makes Lucy feel inferior, filmed this date in 1955.

Desi Arnaz hosts, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, “K. O. Kittyâ€, Lucille Ball, as Kitty Winslow; a woman getting an inheritance and a 'washed-up' boxer, named Harold; out of sentiment to her uncle's memory, she becomes Harold's trainer and manager; co-starring William Lundigan, Sid Melton, Aldo Ray, Roy Rowan and Jesse White; produced by Quinn Martin; written by Madelyn Martin and Bob Carroll, Jr.; reminscent of (“I Love Lucyâ€) episodes; to turn up in future years as The Main Event, 1979; a plot 'borrowed' from Punch Drunks, 1934, a Three Stooges' film; the episode airing this date in 1958.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Lucille Ball's Great Uncle, 86, Taken By Death - “Edward Orcutt, 86 of Hollywood, California, a former Jamestown resident, died December 4, 1960, Cedars of Lebanon Hospital, Hollywood. Great uncle of TV comedienne Lucille Ball, Jamestown native, made his home with her in California,†published this date in 1960.

Desilu Studios-filmed My Favorite Martian, “Raffles #2â€, with Ray Walston, Bill Bixby, and co-starring Lucy veteran guest and co-star, Madge Blake, J. Pat O'Malley, and others, airs this date in 1963.

Lucille Ball appears in NBC, The Danny Thomas Special: “The Wonderful World of Burlesque II, a salute to vaudeville - Lucille portrays a singing stripper, sung by veteran supporting cast member and friend, Carole Cook, as well as a wonderful skit with Jerry Lewis and Danny Thomas, “Restaurant Skitâ€, a spoof of 1920's Broadway melodrama, White Cargo, airing this date in 1965.

(“Here's Lucyâ€) “Lucy and the Generation Gap†- Kim and Craig write a musical, enlisting Harry and Lucy to co-star with them, airing this date in 1969.

Lucille Ball is interviewed, in Hollywood, along with Carol Burnett, by David Frost - “Frost Over Americaâ€, on this date in 1970.

Lucie Arnaz appears on CBS Circus of the Stars #10, Bea Arthur, Dick Clark and Merv Griffin, as Ringmasters, one of seventeen specials, starring many stars, between 1977 and 1992, with each featuring popular performers acting as Ringmaster, this date in 1985.

American Heritage, John Steele Gordon: “The Business of America: What Desi Wrought,†published in 1998.

Lucie Arnaz Website: “Lucie Arnaz will appear in concert, 'An Evening with Lucie Arnaz', Musical Director, Ron Abel', at the RRAZZ room, San Francisco, California, through the 13th of December, on this date in 2009.

Archived