Great Lucy quotes

Luvsbway

Desi gifted Lucy on their 15th anniversary with a full length mink coat with this note: "To my darling Lucy on our anniversary, for Thanksgiving, Christmas (both American and Cuban), Easter, Fourth of July, Cinco de Mayo and Guy Fawkes Day."

The rambunctious redhead retaliated by giving him a bucket containing a diamond tie pin and a note that said, "15 years - just a drop in the bucket."

Desi gifted Lucy on their 15th anniversary with a full length mink coat with this note: "To my darling Lucy on our anniversary, for Thanksgiving, Christmas (both American and Cuban), Easter, Fourth of July, Cinco de Mayo and Guy Fawkes Day."

The rambunctious redhead retaliated by giving him a bucket containing a diamond tie pin and a note that said, "15 years - just a drop in the bucket."

That's really COOL!!

"Y'know," she continued, "when I was married to the Cuban, I never had to worry about a thing. Desi was so damn smart about everything - scripts, cameras, lighting, costuming, you name it. I would simply waltz in on Monday mornings and the cast and I would read a perfect script. All I had to do was be Lucy. Desi took care of the rest. We made a great team. Plus, it didn't hurt that we were crazy about each other... just like you and Joe. Unfortunately, we split up. But it was great while it lasted."

-Lucy, to Carol Burnett ('This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection', by Carol Burnett)

"She was the only woman that ever stole my heart. I love her and I always will. All I wanted after our divorce was for her to be happy." -Desi Arnaz 

Arnaz said the baby has "Cuban black hair" but looks like his redhaired mother. "What a cute, turned-up pug nose," said Arnaz, who reported that his wife's first comment when she saw him was: "He'd drown in a rainstorm with a nose like that."..."I wanted a boy real bad until I saw them wheel Lucy into the operating room. Then I was willing to settle for anything just so both would be healthy." January 20, 1953

"They were gorgeous. Her eyes were very blue... One of the many things I absolutely loved about her. She was mine, and I was hers. The way it should always have been."

-Desi

"I promised Desi I'd write him every day, but letters won't be a substitute for having him here at home and battling with him. We have so much fun kissing and making up...I am crazy about Desi"-Lucille Ball, 1943 

March, 1945: One of Lucille Ball's presents to Desi Arnaz on his 28th birthday was a picture of herself in a 1905 bathing suit so big it had to be taken up with huge safety pins. Lucille signed the picture: "Love to my G.I. Guy from his pinned-up pin-up girl." 

• 2 weeks later...

"He always used to hold her hand and plant little kisses on it. They loved each other very much." -Fred Ball

October 1962: "I asked Desi if Lucille Ball, now happily married to comedian Gary Morton, were free to marry, what he would do under the circumstances. He grinned and quickly gave me a one-word answer."

"Propose."

"Two weeks later, Desi Arnaz was in Milwaukee. My wife and I had dinner with him at the Cape Cod restaurant. He was charming and glad to talk about Lucille Ball. He sang her praises as an actress, but said nothing about romance.

'You know she's crazy about you,' I said. 'No, I don't know that,' Desi said. His accent kept us listening carefully. It would have been easy to misunderstand some of his phrases. 'What makes you say she's crazy about me?' he demanded and I said, 'She told me so. I never saw a girl crazier about a man than Lucille is about you.'"

-Larry Lawrence, Milwaukee Journal, 1961

Who's the make-up artist/author we're referring to? I'd like to do more "research"!

Anyone read the text of this and find the last paragraph or so quite interesting, with the phrase about this series (HL) being about the family "traveling the United States"??? WTF?! Interesting...given the "road" episodes in the Winnebago were not until Season 2! :blink:

Who's the make-up artist/author we're referring to? I'd like to do more "research"!

Anyone read the text of this and find the last paragraph or so quite interesting, with the phrase about this series (HL) being about the family "traveling the United States"??? WTF?! Interesting...given the "road" episodes in the Winnebago were not until Season 2! :blink:

I assume this is in response to the Vogue article in the other thread... Lucy's makeup was done by a man named Evan Richardson who wrote a book (e-book?) called The Star Shiner about his experiences with celebrities. He also did Lucy's make up for her appearances on Ed Sullivan and Mike Douglas' shows at this time.

• Like 1

I assume this is in response to the Vogue article in the other thread... Lucy's makeup was done by a man named Evan Richardson who wrote a book (e-book?) called The Star Shiner about his experiences with celebrities. He also did Lucy's make up for her appearances on Ed Sullivan and Mike Douglas' shows at this time.

Thanks and I have no idea how this last post of mine ended up in this thread! :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

October 7, 1962: "There are plenty of girls around, but I find I am always consciously or subconsciously comparing them to Lucy. There's a woman for you! I guess we are better friends now than when we were married - because we are not so close anymore. I can stand off from a distance and look at her. And I can tell you it's almost impossible to find a girl with the qualities she has. She is not only attractive and sexy, but she has great talent. I think maybe in the whole history of show business, there were two other women like her - Carole Lombard and Jean Arthur - women who can make you fall in love with them and laugh at the same time." -Desi Arnaz

"Desi was very disturbed, the other night, when a disk jockey played Desi's recording of 'There's a Brand New Baby at Our House' and then commented that everything that happened to us seemed to turn to gold. The disk jockey was not being critical-it was merely a comment. But Desi asked me, 'Lucy, do you suppose that anybody thought I was really being commercial when I wrote that song to tell everybody how happy I was that we had a baby?'

I'm sometimes scared of everything that has happened to us, but I'm more often happy than scared. We didn't think Desilu Productions would grow so big. We merely wanted to be together and have two children"-Lucy ❤

"When Desi was working at the Copacabana in New York, I had a vacation and joined him. We were very happy. We took a big, rambling apartment in a midtown hotel. Because he worked until three in the morning, Desi had to sleep late, so we chose the bedroom farthest from the living room telephone. While he was still asleep, I would see my old friends. Then he would get up late; we would have dinner together and, while he did his first show at the Copa, I would go to the theater or a movie and then drop in to catch his late show afterward. I never got tired watching Desi work."-Lucy

Tallulah Bankhead, for years the New York Giant's number one fan, was thrilled with the present Desi gave her after the filming of "The Celebrity Next Door", Desi was so pleased with her performance that he ordered a box seat for Tallulah at her favorite baseball team's opening day in San Francisco. 

"I didn't like coming home, after a hard day at the studio, to an empty house. I didn't like putting through that telephone call to Desi in whatever town he was playing. When it was a small town, we spent a lot of money on the word "what" because the connections were so bad that we couldn't hear each other. And then, like as not, in his anxiety Desi would start to speak in Spanish. Now I think Spanish is a fine language, but I couldn't understand it and I would have to wait until he ran down and then say, 'What, Desi?' " -Lucy 
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

"Everything happened to fit. The writers were great. The other couple, the Mertzes, were great. And the audience knew that Lucy and Ricky were in love with one other. But underneath all that crap was that Lucy and I really loved each other." -Desi Arnaz, taking about the success of I Love Lucy, 1983

• 2 weeks later...

Publicity puff? As we know she went right back home and to bed with him after court.

"After Lucille Ball picked up her interlocutory decree the other day-she sent Desi a telegram. The last four words were; 'I wish you love'."- Walter Winchell Notes

Is there anyway this could be in reference to their second divorce in 1960? If not she must have stopped and sent it on her way back to him!

• 3 weeks later...

I so love this quote and the amazing questions it raises: 

"When my mother came back to television, my father directed 'The Lucy Show' - and she was married to Gary Morton, who is doing the warm up. My God, that's really psycho. There were these three years, that crossover period, where they tried - 'Okay, we won't be married. We won't change anything. I can have my woman. She can have whoever she wants. Fine, maybe it's better this way. Sure, let's try it.' See how long that works when the two people are still madly in love with each other." -Lucie Arnaz 
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

"I had never met a Latin before. In fact, up to this time I hadn't had much fun. I'd gone out with a lot of guys and it had been in the papers that I was engaged to this one and that one, but now that I look back on it, they all seem pretty ordinary. But this I can say for myself - and this is the truth - I never wanted to marry anybody until I met Desi." -Lucy, 1953

So this begs the question was she ever truly engaged or were Broderick and Al just gossip columns rumored? Was there anyone she was so called engaged to?

• 1 month later...

"If you had a child, which characteristics of Desi's would you want it to inherit?"

"Desi's coloring, hair, eyebrows, mouth and teeth. His physique, desire, verve, and business sense." "What characteristics of your own would you want your child to have?"

"If it were a girl, I'd want her to have my practicality and sense of responsibility. My hands and eyes - because Desi wants it to have my eyes. But if it's a boy, I'd want his eyes." -Lucille Ball, 1944

• 2 months later...

Question for Milton Berle: Who in your opinion outstanding comedienne today?

Answer: Lucille Ball. To quote Ed Wynn, "A comic is a guy who says funny things; a comedian is a guy who says things funny." I know Lucy very well. Years ago, she came to California as a straight actress, and she was a natural-born actress without any schooling. Take a look at a movie called "The Big Street", with Henry Fonda, and you'll see Lucy give one of the great dramatic performances of our times. She's a tremendous perfectionist who's always paying her dues, rehearsing and rehearsing even after she became a superstar. She knows what she wants from herself and from the people who work with her. She usually gets it, too, and 99 times out of 100 she's right about it. But all that dedication has given her the reputation of being difficult to work with. Lucy's really two different people: In private life she will never talk theatricals and is a warm, appreciative, gentle person- a good neighbor and friend. But when she steps on a sound stage, she's all business. She's the most multifacet comedienne-actress since Marie Dressler.

• Like 1