Great Lucy quotes

Luvsbway

Question for Milton Berle: Who in your opinion outstanding comedienne today?

Answer: Lucille Ball. To quote Ed Wynn, "A comic is a guy who says funny things; a comedian is a guy who says things funny." I know Lucy very well. Years ago, she came to California as a straight actress, and she was a natural-born actress without any schooling. Take a look at a movie called "The Big Street", with Henry Fonda, and you'll see Lucy give one of the great dramatic performances of our times. She's a tremendous perfectionist who's always paying her dues, rehearsing and rehearsing even after she became a superstar. She knows what she wants from herself and from the people who work with her. She usually gets it, too, and 99 times out of 100 she's right about it. But all that dedication has given her the reputation of being difficult to work with. Lucy's really two different people: In private life she will never talk theatricals and is a warm, appreciative, gentle person- a good neighbor and friend. But when she steps on a sound stage, she's all business. She's the most multifacet comedienne-actress since Marie Dressler.

Marie Dressler??! :blink: Interesting comparison! :peachonthebeach:

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this over on the Gene Kelly Legacy page on IG.

genekellylegacyWhenever I see this photo of Gene and the women who appeared in his television special "An American in Pasadena," it reminds me of a sweet story he told me back in 1989. He mentioned it to me several times over the years, so I know it was something that truly touched him. He said that when the show was over Lucille Ball took his hand backstage and said, "I'm glad you asked me." He loved Lucy and it meant a lot to him that she took the time to say thank you. I think that says a lot about two very classy people.

• Like 1

Saw this over on the Gene Kelly Legacy page on IG.

genekellylegacyWhenever I see this photo of Gene and the women who appeared in his television special "An American in Pasadena," it reminds me of a sweet story he told me back in 1989. He mentioned it to me several times over the years, so I know it was something that truly touched him. He said that when the show was over Lucille Ball took his hand backstage and said, "I'm glad you asked me." He loved Lucy and it meant a lot to him that she took the time to say thank you. I think that says a lot about two very classy people.

YOU KNEW GENE KELLY?   Or, did I read this wrong!  WOW, if you did - SPILL!!!!!  Loving you, JK :D 

Saw this story over on IG. I've seen it mentioned before but had not read the whole account. This could have not ended well. Also it's one of those rare times Lucy talks about her step father.

"Lucy suddenly remembered something that she hadn't thought of going over 50 years. "When I was about 12 or 13, I would go to the movies in Jamestown by myself. The silence. Chaplin. Swanson. Clara Bow. They had a terrific influence on me. My favorite movies were the ones with William S. Heart and Tom Mix and Pearl White. anyway, the theater was about a mile from our house, and I would walk back-and-forth. I was never afraid, even though it was pitch black on the way home." She sat back in her chair and took a deep breath. "what happened? I asked" "well, one night I was coming home from the movies and walking down the road, when I heard somebody walking behind me. I guess I thought it was an animal or something, until the footsteps started picking up, and I got the feeling that it was somebody trying to catch up with me. I turned around and saw it was a friend of my stepfathers. I knew the guy-not well, but I knew him-and started to walk alongside of me. I remember he wasn't much older than I was. He started asking me about the picture I had seen, which I thought was a little strange. I mean, how did he know I was at the movies? Well, we walked along a little more, and he put his arm around me. I squirmed away from him and BAM! He threw me down on the ground. I remember I rolled down into some bushes before I stopped by an object. I thought it was a tree until I started to move, and I looked up and it was my stepfather. He told the boy to get lost, which he did in a hurry, and we walked home together without ever mentioning the incident. I don't think we ever talked about it."

The follow up I read to this story was when Lucy was in Jamestown in 56' she stood in town and pointed to a location and said, I think to her press guy Charlie Pomarantz, that is where some guy hit my head on a rock. So clearly she had thought about it before for it to trigger a memory in 56', enough she mentioned it.

• 4 months later...

Lucy ran off with Cleo to find Mr Drake, her high school principal after he switched schools. Didn't know this happened though.

"Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Drake of 60 College St. received a special invitation by phone from Mrs. Lucille Ball Arnaz to attend the premiere of 'Forever Darling' and the banquet following the premiere. The Drake's left Brockport Saturday morning for Jamestown."

-

Article from February 1956

No idea, I didn't find the quote.

I'll just give you the credit for the post; it's much easier than trying to research such a bizarre thing; although most all locals remember her childish (though teenage) crush on her principal; much as most of us who had favorite teachers we 'loved'......  Thanks, luvs :fabrary:

Yes, but did you drag your cousin with you to another town to go find the man? Cleo says that the guy was very proper about getting them somewhere safe to sleep before sending them back home and calling DeDe to tell her where they were. Sometimes I'm surprised that girl made it through unscathed all those years.

I heard once in NY Hattie lent Lucy her car one night, not knowing where Lucy was headed with it. Turns out Lucy and some guys took it to a speakeasy outside NYC for the night.

Yes, but did you drag your cousin with you to another town to go find the man? Cleo says that the guy was very proper about getting them somewhere safe to sleep before sending them back home and calling DeDe to tell her where they were. Sometimes I'm surprised that girl made it through unscathed all those years.

I heard once in NY Hattie lent Lucy her car one night, not knowing where Lucy was headed with it. Turns out Lucy and some guys took it to a speakeasy outside NYC for the night.

Got to research something; get back to you; because, I DO want to respond to this.  Something about the 'dates' don't jell in my mind.  I think melding the dates of premiere and 'the Drakes attendance'; and Lucille and Cleo (IN CHILDHOOD) searching him out at his Jamestown area home; doesn't quite 'fit' the same event.

One date of Lucille searching him out would be PRIOR to going to California and stardom; the OTHER DATE obviously after he re-located; and the date of 1956, to invite them to premiere. 

I'm confused about that publication article.