Cate Blanchett to star in Lucille Ball biopic written by Sorkin

Brock

I think Blanchett is a fine actress, one whom might actually do Lucy justice, although I don't truly think anyone can totally do her justice.  What I'm unclear about now is if this is going to be made to be distributed online? I thought it was going to be theatrical, but if now acquired by Amazon, that doesn't seem as likely.... Anyone "in the know"?? :lucyhorror:

I think Blanchett is a fine actress, one whom might actually do Lucy justice, although I don't truly think anyone can totally do her justice. What I'm unclear about now is if this is going to be made to be distributed online? I thought it was going to be theatrical, but if now acquired by Amazon, that doesn't seem as likely.... Anyone "in the know"?? :lucyhorror:

Amazon has a theatrical film production and distribution division. Manchester By the Sea came from Amazon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 7:04 AM, Luvsbway said:

I had to do a long post over in Facebook land pointing out how different Lucy and Lucille were. Don't just pick an actress because she looks like the famous person.

I agree, but, while I have no idea how Debra Messing is as a dramatic actress, she at least has proven comedic skills.  This movie will inevitably have "Lucy" bits.  So the actress playing this part will not only be playing Lucille Ball, but at times will be playing Lucille Ball playing Lucy Ricardo.  In those two Lucy TV movies, the Lucy Ricardo scenes were absolutely cringeworthy.  If Cate Blanchett does a bad Lucy Ricardo, it can spoil the whole movie.

On 8/8/2017 at 8:32 AM, Brock said:

Aside from hair and eye colour, she doesn't even look like her.

Debra-Messing-in-I-Love-Lucy--30248.jpg

Well, Vergara's surely was done "tongue in cheek" but still "in tribute".  I dunno...maybe they've realized (learned?) from those two TVMs that NO ONE can replicate those classic moments so to even attempt them would be foolish...Besides, if it is truly the story of their long complicated relationship, if they stick with the dramatic elements there's no real need for them to "reinvent the wheel" and show reenactments of familiar scenes we all know too well, is there? I don't think so... They could of course be alluded to... but ...?? I don't know... I have such mixed feelings about this whole project, I don't know. :blink:

• Like 2

I'm excited for any good widespread Lucy exposure, and this seems like it has pedigree. With the kids involved behind the scenes... I don't know. I think that Home Movie is excellent, so if it takes that vibe it's cool. 

Let's just hope Carole Cook doesn't file any legal complaints about her portrayal. We have enough feuds going on.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

Let's just hope Carole Cook doesn't file any legal complaints about her portrayal. We have enough feuds going on.

Ooh...never thought of that possibility, however unlikely given her long-standing, tight relationship with Lucie Jr...(not sure how close she is (or not) to Desi Jr...)...unless of course Sorkin casts Patricia Morrison in Carole's part! :HALKING::blink::vanda:

• Haha 1