Lucy Goes to London

I agree with you for all those reasons, and quieter is a great description.

I think so too although it was hilarious in its latter execution and the resultant audience response/laughter!  LOVE Lucy's hair (is that considered a French twist even though we can't really see it in these shots?? One of her most flattering later do's -- she looks so classy!)!!

Thanks for posting these pics Luvs! Great job! :peachonthebeach:

I'm in the minority but I prefer the later version, one of the best episodes of the 5th season. (For me a 3-way tie: this, "Substitute Secretary" and "John Wayne", yes John W-A-I-N!).   Love it when she's commanding Maury to "give a little wave" to Mary Jane.  Lucy is always better in front of an audience.  I don't understand what the this "Comedy Theater" series,the pilot of which this comedy vignette was part of,  was going to be about, particularly why Victor Borge was connected with it.  Much has been made about the historical significance of the Desilu filming-in front of-audience pioneering method, but by 1960 they had all but abandoned it, as had most comedies.  And for all his other skills, I'm not sure Desi as director was the best.  The last 3 Comedy Hours suffer from sloppy direction and an over stimulated laugh track. Some claim that parts of Milton Berle were filmed with audience, but it sure doesn't look or sound like it to me.  "Japan" has some hilarious parts, but is one of the least appreciated of the series. I think it's the best of the last 5.   Though Lucy's Geisha girl is stellar comedy,  the whole Geisha house scene is just too loosely directed.  And then there's the misfire "Toyko Pete"--I guess anti-Japanese sentiment had cooled in the 14 years since the end of the war.  It would be the equivalent of today: "Lucy Goes to Iraq" aka "Saddam Hussien Hides Out at the Ricardos". 

When I spoke to Maury about the "Goes to London" episode at one of the conventions, he offered rather graphically "it was so hot, the sweat was running down my CRACK!".  How vivid!   He gave a great performance though.  You'd never guess he was the director of the series.  I enjoy Jack Donahue's cameos but he tended to ham it up a bit.

Thanks for side by side pics; really great to see the comparison.  I guess between 1960 and 1966 she just let her lashes grow!

• Like 1

I'm in the minority but I prefer the later version, one of the best episodes of the 5th season. (For me a 3-way tie: this, "Substitute Secretary" and "John Wayne", yes John W-A-I-N!).   Love it when she's commanding Maury to "give a little wave" to Mary Jane.  Lucy is always better in front of an audience.  I don't understand what the this "Comedy Theater" series,the pilot of which this comedy vignette was part of,  was going to be about, particularly why Victor Borge was connected with it.  Much has been made about the historical significance of the Desilu filming-in front of-audience pioneering method, but by 1960 they had all but abandoned it, as had most comedies.  And for all his other skills, I'm not sure Desi as director was the best.  The last 3 Comedy Hours suffer from sloppy direction and an over stimulated laugh track. Some claim that parts of Milton Berle were filmed with audience, but it sure doesn't look or sound like it to me.  "Japan" has some hilarious parts, but is one of the least appreciated of the series. I think it's the best of the last 5.   Though Lucy's Geisha girl is stellar comedy,  the whole Geisha house scene is just too loosely directed.  And then there's the misfire "Toyko Pete"--I guess anti-Japanese sentiment had cooled in the 14 years since the end of the war.  It would be the equivalent of today: "Lucy Goes to Iraq" aka "Saddam Hussien Hides Out at the Ricardos". 

When I spoke to Maury about the "Goes to London" episode at one of the conventions, he offered rather graphically "it was so hot, the sweat was running down my CRACK!".  How vivid!   He gave a great performance though.  You'd never guess he was the director of the series.  I enjoy Jack Donahue's cameos but he tended to ham it up a bit.

Thanks for side by side pics; really great to see the comparison.  I guess between 1960 and 1966 she just let her lashes grow!

Good points, and great story about Maury.

I like Lucy's appearance much more in the later version. Her mid-to-late 1960s looks were far more flattering than her early 1960s looks. At least the change in the show's direction allowed Lucy Carmichael a more flattering wardrobe. Her first season tendency towards slacks and blouses was not at all flattering.

• Like 1