No More Lucy From CBS Home Entertainment

Mr. Wilson

I spoke to Ken Ross' secretary three questions and she was able to give me answers:

I) CBS will not be putting out season three of I Love Lucy on blu ray;

2) CBS will not be putting out a boxed set of The Lucy Show.  The six seasons will still sell separately and,

3) CBS will not be releasing Life with Lucy on DVD.

She then told no more Lucy.  

Very disappointed. I'm assuming the blu-ray sales were not as desired. One would think the continued success of the Christmas specials would have encouraged further releases, but if the money isn't there, it isn't there. 

Will we ever get to see the strawberry scene edited back into a commercially released "The Celebrity Next Door"? 

I hate to say it, and I'm prepared for a barrage of comments, but the blu-ray sets were majorly overpriced. Now I understand a lot of hard work and dedication went into both sets, truly I do. But you can't tell me they couldn't have been more reasonably priced in the $40-50 range upon release, not when season one now sits with a $25 price tag on Amazon. I'm sorry, but when you can get virtually any season of the show on DVD for $10-15, why would most even think twice? I consider myself a tremendously hardcore fan, but money is tight right now and I haven't been able to justify the purchases. I'm more than bummed the sets won't continue, if only because it was a planned further purchase and one I sincerely looked forward to.

I wonder, when they originally released season one at 4 episodes a disc, each disc selling for around $10, were there sales issues? What (seriously) brilliant mind helped move the show in the direction of complete series sets? Shame the same can't be done in this case.

• Like 5

I hate to say it, and I'm prepared for a barrage of comments, but the blu-ray sets were majorly overpriced. Now I understand a lot of hard work and dedication went into both sets, truly I do. But you can't tell me they couldn't have been more reasonably priced in the $40-50 range upon release, not when season one now sits with a $25 price tag on Amazon. I'm sorry, but when you can get virtually any season of the show on DVD for $10-15, why would most even think twice? I consider myself a tremendously hardcore fan, but money is tight right now and I haven't been able to justify the purchases. I'm more than bummed the sets won't continue, if only because it was a planned further purchase and one I sincerely looked forward to.

I wonder, when they originally released season one at 4 episodes a disc, each disc selling for around $10, were there sales issues? What (seriously) brilliant mind helped move the show in the direction of complete series sets? Shame the same can't be done in this case.

No brickbats from me! I was not only thinking the exact same thing but afraid to put it out there. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

(and to reiterate, at least speaking for myself if not Mr. Hepburn and others, the comments above are in no way directed at/to or about the great Lucy contingent behind the scenes who worked so diligently out of love for the lady to put these two great Blu-ray releases and all the great content therein.  They did a great job and we fans are eternally grateful.  I'm just sorry they won't be able to continue their exemplary work. :( )

• Like 2

I know they've licensed content to Mill Creek before, couldn't they do that for Life With Lucy? They'd be getting a license fee and all, so wouldn't something like that be a win-win?

True but they probably consider it such a niche market item and know the investment might not be big enough in return profit, sadly.

Hate to say it but I doubt we'll ever see a "legitimate" release for this title; perhaps however someday they may be digitized and made available for streaming and/or downloading, a la current product via avenues such as iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, etc. etc.

At least they'd be out there!!! :blink:

What about the color I Love Lucy show project? No more color I Love Lucy? No more I Love Lucy blu rays? No Life Wth Lucy dvds? Could Mr. Watson please provide his insight on all of this?

What's one got to do with the other?  Not sure what you're referring to anyway in reference to the "color (ILL) show project"? If what you mean is whether or not they'll continue to colorize selected episodes for special airing(s) and possible subsequent release on DVD, I doubt that'll cease anytime soon, given the successful, highly-rated airings experienced so far..... unless the cost to colorize these eps is exorbitant, I see no reason they'd quit.  As a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised to hear sooner than later that they'll colorize them all and start releasing them that way. 

As long as CB$ sees a way to cash in on this evergreen (lucky for us fans at any rate, aside from the pocket book aspect!), I imagine we'll continue to get "new" product one way or the other! for a very long time!

I just wish it'd be in the form of these amazing blu-rays! :(

What's one got to do with the other?  Not sure what you're referring to anyway in reference to the "color (ILL) show project"? If what you mean is whether or not they'll continue to colorize selected episodes for special airing(s) and possible subsequent release on DVD, I doubt that'll cease anytime soon, given the successful, highly-rated airings experienced so far..... unless the cost to colorize these eps is exorbitant, I see no reason they'd quit.  As a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised to hear sooner than later that they'll colorize them all and start releasing them that way. 

As long as CB$ sees a way to cash in on this evergreen (lucky for us fans at any rate, aside from the pocket book aspect!), I imagine we'll continue to get "new" product one way or the other! for a very long time!

I just wish it'd be in the form of these amazing blu-rays! :(

When I say the color I Love Lucy show project I am talking about the special CBS color show airings and the color shows on dvd. I hope the color airings and color dvds will continue. And hopefully the I Love Lucy blu rays will continue. The Lucy fans want more Lucy product and CBS wants the Lucy product cash. A win win. We get more Lucy and CBS gets more money. :lucythrill::lucysmirk::gary::D

When I say the color I Love Lucy show project I am talking about the special CBS color show airings and the color shows on dvd. I hope the color airings and color dvds will continue. And hopefully the I Love Lucy blu rays will continue. The Lucy fans want more Lucy product and CBS wants the Lucy product cash. A win win. We get more Lucy and CBS gets more money. :lucythrill::lucysmirk::gary::D

Well sadly, I think that's the point: No more Lucy on blu.... but I'm sure she'll ultimately still come out in the --what's the expression they've been using?? "vintage-look" (!) full-color(ized) releases to keep that money a-comin'! :blink:

Very disappointed. I'm assuming the blu-ray sales were not as desired. One would think the continued success of the Christmas specials would have encouraged further releases, but if the money isn't there, it isn't there. 

Will we ever get to see the strawberry scene edited back into a commercially released "The Celebrity Next Door"? 

We won't. Tallulah's alergic.  :lucyeww:

I spoke to Ken Ross' secretary three questions and she was able to give me answers:

I) CBS will not be putting out season three of I Love Lucy on blu ray;

2) CBS will not be putting out a boxed set of The Lucy Show.  The six seasons will still sell separately and,

3) CBS will not be releasing Life with Lucy on DVD.

She then told no more Lucy.  

This has to be a "yolk" Ken Ross's secretary?  :lucyhmm:

Well.. it was a fun ride while it lasted.. Perhaps they didn't have any material to use for bonus features to justify the price or motivate people to switch formats.

It would be nice to have that extra bonus material available on DVD for the rest of us peasants but that may also be such a small market not returning the investment.

• Like 1

Yet another reason my preference --having been a collector several series over the years now on both DVD and Blu-ray -- that series that are long off the air and are being released on Blu should be FIRST (if only) released in a COMPLETE SERIES box (plus bonuses, if any -- and on Blu there usually are a lot!) and only then if deemed viable, release each season separately.  Moreover, if it'd keep costs down and "collectibility" up, follow certain release models and only issue a limited edition number of copies of the title -- reasonably priced -- and that would be that.

Examples of this "pattern" would be the recent Blu releases of "X-Files", "Batman", "Friends" and "Lost in Space", among others.

'Nuff said and once again, the fan/collector/consumer is left hanging primarly due to the never-ending greed of good ol' CB$!! :blink:

That's actually a very good idea. Complete series sets are usually cheaper than individual seasons, and in this day and age where "binge watching" is the unfortunate norm, I think people would prefer to have the whole thing right in front of them.

However, my current Desilu pipe dream is that MPI gets ahold of the rights to Our Miss Brooks.

• Like 2

That's actually a very good idea. Complete series sets are usually cheaper than individual seasons, and in this day and age where "binge watching" is the unfortunate norm, I think people would prefer to have the whole thing right in front of them.

However, my current Desilu pipe dream is that MPI gets ahold of the rights to Our Miss Brooks.

Great idea Freddie! I'm with you it'd be GREAT to see this underserved classic see a legitimate DVD release!!! :HALKING:

• Like 1

Though this may be their take on Lucy products right now, it doesn't always mean this will be the case. The people currently in charge won't always be in charge. Positions change. Numbers change. Minds change. This is merely a reflection of their current attitude.

Look folks, let's examine the positives here:

1) All of Lucy's major shows are now available on DVD. 10 years ago, that wasn't true. Granted, not all of this came from CBS, but they certainly didn't disappoint with either I Love Lucy or The Lucy Show. Look at the bonus features we got there! The fact is, every episode from her major shows are available. Maybe not in hi-definition, but they look pretty damn good all the same.

2) Yes, the Blu-Ray project may now be sitting on a shelf next to Don Juan. Doesn't mean it won't get resurrected again sometime down the road. Possibly on a different format, but I digress. Even if it isn't for a long, long time, seasons 1 and 2 gave us loads of new features and a taste of the show in 1080p. We'll always have those. The fact that there was something new to offer for a 60 year old television show with multiple home video releases under its belt was a miracle in itself.

3) Though disappointing that Life With Lucy remains locked up for now, it's only 13 episodes. A minor footnote in the grand scheme of things. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an official release just for the complete set, but I'd be far more upset if LWL had been released while all 156 Lucy Shows remained in the vault. Besides, miracles can happen. Didn't a vigorous letter writing campaign spearhead The Lucy Show project? Perhaps, in this age of social media, a hashtag campaign could be started or something?

Yes, the prospect of "no more Lucy" isn't very appealing, but there really isn't that much left we don't already have. CBS and the DVD/Blu-Ray teams have certainly devoted more effort to her video releases than for any other show owned by the network, and I think we need to be grateful for that.

Just remember, there's always time for things to change, and we have a lot to keep us occupied in the interim.

• Like 2

Though this may be their take on Lucy products right now, it doesn't always mean this will be the case. The people currently in charge won't always be in charge. Positions change. Numbers change. Minds change. This is merely a reflection of their current attitude.

Look folks, let's examine the positives here:

1) All of Lucy's major shows are now available on DVD. 10 years ago, that wasn't true. Granted, not all of this came from CBS, but they certainly didn't disappoint with either I Love Lucy or The Lucy Show. Look at the bonus features we got there! The fact is, every episode from her major shows are available. Maybe not in hi-definition, but they look pretty damn good all the same.

2) Yes, the Blu-Ray project may now be sitting on a shelf next to Don Juan. Doesn't mean it won't get resurrected again sometime down the road. Possibly on a different format, but I digress. Even if it isn't for a long, long time, seasons 1 and 2 gave us loads of new features and a taste of the show in 1080p. We'll always have those. The fact that there was something new to offer for a 60 year old television show with multiple home video releases under its belt was a miracle in itself.

3) Though disappointing that Life With Lucy remains locked up for now, it's only 13 episodes. A minor footnote in the grand scheme of things. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an official release just for the complete set, but I'd be far more upset if LWL had been released while all 156 Lucy Shows remained in the vault. Besides, miracles can happen. Didn't a vigorous letter writing campaign spearhead The Lucy Show project? Perhaps, in this age of social media, a hashtag campaign could be started or something?

Yes, the prospect of "no more Lucy" isn't very appealing, but there really isn't that much left we don't already have. CBS and the DVD/Blu-Ray teams have certainly devoted more effort to her video releases than for any other show owned by the network, and I think we need to be grateful for that.

Just remember, there's always time for things to change, and we have a lot to keep us occupied in the interim.

You know, you're absolutely right! Just one more reason I'm so fond of you, once again the "voice of reason" and all your salient points so clearly laid out. 

My that "down under" living (ahem) really agrees with you!

Thanks for reminding me how fortunate we are, I never thought we'd have TLS released in its entirety let alone the under-perfoming (in comparison syndication-wise and probably DVD-sale wise as well) "Here's..." AND with all the bonus goodies we've been blessed with (am I the only one who gets such a kick out of the HL intros on those episodes, primarily featuring Lucie & Desi Jr. and all the veterans "unearthed" (so to speak) to share on camera for all posterity their respective memories of working on the show/with Big Red??? AND all those Lucille Ball Specials, to boot??! (Did you ever imagine in a million years we'd have at our fingertips such latter day dogs like "Lucy Moves to NBC" on DVD, and with still MORE bonuses?? I didn't! (But then I never dreamed I'd see my name in the production credits either! :blink: )

I for one am very, very grateful and thanks again Brian for reminding us how very lucky we diehard Lucy fans really really are! :peachonthebeach:

• Like 1

You know, you're absolutely right! Just one more reason I'm so fond of you, once again the "voice of reason" and all your salient points so clearly laid out. 

My that "down under" living (ahem) really agrees with you!

Thanks for reminding me how fortunate we are, I never thought we'd have TLS released in its entirety let alone the under-perfoming (in comparison syndication-wise and probably DVD-sale wise as well) "Here's..." AND with all the bonus goodies we've been blessed with (am I the only one who gets such a kick out of the HL intros on those episodes, primarily featuring Lucie & Desi Jr. and all the veterans "unearthed" (so to speak) to share on camera for all posterity their respective memories of working on the show/with Big Red??? AND all those Lucille Ball Specials, to boot??! (Did you ever imagine in a million years we'd have at our fingertips such latter day dogs like "Lucy Moves to NBC" on DVD, and with still MORE bonuses?? I didn't! (But then I never dreamed I'd see my name in the production credits either! :blink: )

I for one am very, very grateful and thanks again Brian for reminding us how very lucky we diehard Lucy fans really really are! :peachonthebeach:

Thanks Joey. You're absolutely right about the specials. What a coup to have those on our shelves. Plus CBS really pulled through with getting The Lucille Ball Comedy Hour and Lucy In London cleared as bonus features. So we certainly wound up with a lot more than we could've hoped for at one point. And who knows what the future (and future management) may bring us.

• Like 1