Obama's trying to take away the Ricardos' guns!

Odd that he would cite "throwing plates", because that makes me think of that Maude episode, too. If I were him I'd use Drafted as an example.

On the same note, I don't know the exact story, but there was a senator or something who wanted to do a think piece on guns and how easy it is to get one, but he ended up being denied the right because in his background check they found out he had a history of domestic abuse! Thank goodness somebody's doing their job around here!

Odd that he would cite "throwing plates", because that makes me think of that Maude episode, too. If I were him I'd use Drafted as an example.

On the same note, I don't know the exact story, but there was a senator or something who wanted to do a think piece on guns and how easy it is to get one, but he ended up being denied the right because in his background check they found out he had a history of domestic abuse! Thank goodness somebody's doing their job around here!

:blink:

Evidently in the 50s there was no waiting period and if there was a background check, the label "scatterbrain" did not prevent you from stocking up---because where were those rifles stored before they were used to attempt to kill Allen Jenkins in "New Neighbors"?

And Lucy Carmichael bought a pistol (probably from Crescent's Hardware Store) for her fake robbery in "Gets a Job at Bank".

Off topic a little, but I'm surprised there wasn't more overt skepticism at the climax of Desi's "A Book" when Desi asserts Lucille Ball was a would-be murderess!  That she grabbed the cigarette lighter gun and thinking it was the real thing, shot point-blank at Desi---who, if he is to be believed, "calmly" lit his cigarette while Lucy obligingly held the gun's flame burning for him.   The cast of the movie version of what would have been Hollywood's biggest scandal would be:

Desi: Noel Coward.  Lucy: Lupe Valez

Lucy's  'scorned woman capable of murder' image was not helped by Lucie's "Home Movie" recollection of Lucy pointing her long red nails at Desi and saying "I could kill you".

I'm trying to visualize someone pointing each of their long red fingernails simultaneously.  

Try it.  It's an awkward pose....Sort of like Samantha Stevens trying to levitate a particularly heavy object.

Evidently in the 50s there was no waiting period and if there was a background check, the label "scatterbrain" did not prevent you from stocking up---because where were those rifles stored before they were used to attempt to kill Allen Jenkins in "New Neighbors"?

And Lucy Carmichael bought a pistol (probably from Crescent's Hardware Store) for her fake robbery in "Gets a Job at Bank".

Off topic a little, but I'm surprised there wasn't more overt skepticism at the climax of Desi's "A Book" when Desi asserts Lucille Ball was a would-be murderess!  That she grabbed the cigarette lighter gun and thinking it was the real thing, shot point-blank at Desi---who, if he is to be believed, "calmly" lit his cigarette while Lucy obligingly held the gun's flame burning for him.   The cast of the movie version of what would have been Hollywood's biggest scandal would be:

Desi: Noel Coward.  Lucy: Lupe Valez

Lucy's  'scorned woman capable of murder' image was not helped by Lucie's "Home Movie" recollection of Lucy pointing her long red nails at Desi and saying "I could kill you".

I'm trying to visualize someone pointing each of their long red fingernails simultaneously.  

Try it.  It's an awkward pose....Sort of like Samantha Stevens trying to levitate a particularly heavy object.

Thanks for the visual! (Always love any BW or Elizabeth Montgomery reference, so thank you!)

I call it "dramatic (or poetic, if you prefer) license".  I wouldn't be surprised if she would aim what she thought was a gun at him but I can't really believe she'd ever actually shoot him -- even if she did think he had it coming!

Listen maybe some people don't get it but anyone who's ever been in a relationship or whatever and been cheated upon, disrespected etc. etc. might be in a better  position than others to understand why LB could get to the point where she may have wanted to shoot her long-abusive (yes, I think it's a from of abuse!) husband. I doubt I could have put up with nearly 20 years of cattin' around! :blink: