The Essential "The Lucy Show" Collection

Harrison

Disc 1 - Best of TLS

"Lucy Waits Up For Chris" (series premiere) 

"Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna"

"Lucy and Her Electric Mattress"

"Lucy & Viv Install a Shower"

"Lucy Buys a Boat"

"Lucy Gets Locked in a Vault" (Part 1)

"Lucy and the Safecracker" (Part 2)

"Kiddie Parties, Inc."

Disc 2 - Best of TLS

"Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale"

"Lucy Enters a Baking Contest" 

"Lucy, the Good Skate"

"Lucy's Contact Lenses"

"Lucy, the Coin Collector"

"Lucy, the Bean Queen"

"Lucy and the Ring-a-Ding Ring"

"Lucy Gets Mooney Fired"

Disc 3 - Lucy and the Stars

"Lucy Dates Dean Martin"

"Lucy and the Lost Star" (with Joan Crawford and Vivian Vance)

"Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account"

"Lucy Meets the Berles"

"My Fair Lucy" (with Reta Shaw and Ann Sothern)

"Lucy and John Wayne"

"Lucy Meets Sheldon Leonard"

"Lucy and Arthur Godfrey"

Disc 4 - More Best of TLS, Special, Cameo Reel, Extras

"Lucy Gets a Roommate"

"Lucy Visits the White House"

"Lucy Conducts the Symphony"

"Lucy Flies to London"

Special: Lucy In London

Cameo Reel: Bill Frawley (in "Lucy and the Countess Have a Horse Guest"), Jim Nabors (in "Lucy Gets Caught in a Draft"), Robert Stack/Untouchable mention (in "Lucy, the Gun Moll"), Bob Hope (in "Lucy and the Plumber"), Arnaz Children and DeDe Ball (in "Lucy at Marineland"), John Banner (in "Lucy and Bob Crane"), etc.

Extras: Lucy Promos (from TBS, Nick-at-Nite, TV Land, MeTV, PAX-TV, Cozi TV), Nick-at-Nite Lucy Episode Title Cards, Carol Burnett talks Lucy

Possibly two more discs.

Interesting that other than "Dean Martin", I don't see any episodes from the much-maligned 4th season.  Yes that season, the series did go pretty far afield from the original premise but it's got some real gems along with some real duffers.  There's probably no other season of TLS that has as many highs and lows in the same season.   When on the Merv show with Bob and Madelyn , Lucy is describing "Dean Martin" as her favorite all-time episode, obviously unaware that the writer was Bob O'Brien not the two people sitting next to her. 

If MPI were to release "7 of the BEST episodes" like they did for "Here's Lucy" and the like, these'd be my choices:

1. Lucy & Viv Are Volunteer Firemen

2. Lucy & Viv Put in a Shower

3. Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman to Sing

4. Ethel Merman & The Boy Scouts Show

5. Lucy & The Countess Have a Horse Guest

6. Lucy's Substitute Secretary

7. Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account

Interesting that other than "Dean Martin", I don't see any episodes from the much-maligned 4th season.  Yes that season, the series did go pretty far afield from the original premise but it's got some real gems along with some real duffers.  There's probably no other season of TLS that has as many highs and lows in the same season.   When on the Merv show with Bob and Madelyn , Lucy is describing "Dean Martin" as her favorite all-time episode, obviously unaware that the writer was Bob O'Brien not the two people sitting next to her. 

I disagree, I think she knew damn well who wrote it, whether it was truly her "all-time" favorite or not...but Lucy being ...Lucy, she either didn't have the sensitivity to stop and consider who was sitting next to her (and their feelings) or she was just being totally honest and it didn't occur to her that answer might be a little insensitive to same. 

Would you "forget" who wrote your favorite show/episode/movie/joke whatever? I don't think so. :blink:

If MPI were to release "7 of the BEST episodes" like they did for "Here's Lucy" and the like, these'd be my choices:

1. Lucy & Viv Are Volunteer Firemen

2. Lucy & Viv Put in a Shower

3. Lucy Teaches Ethel Merman to Sing

4. Ethel Merman & The Boy Scouts Show

5. Lucy & The Countess Have a Horse Guest

6. Lucy's Substitute Secretary

7. Lucy Gets Jack Benny's Account

I get what you mean...but it'd be CBS DVD/Paramount Home Video. :D

But in either case I don't know how you can narrow any "best of" list -- which is totally subjective to begin with -- to ONLY seven anything! It's hard enough to come up with 10 or 20!!  :HALKING:

Or is it just me???

And BTW "Jack Benny" would never make ANY of my "best" lists for this season, show or series, I've never found it that funny, impressive or memorable; what's it's great appeal would someone tell me? Is it the so-called "elaborate" sets they created/built/utilized for the vault scene?? I still don't get it. :blink:

I get what you mean...but it'd be CBS DVD/Paramount Home Video. :D

But in either case I don't know how you can narrow any "best of" list -- which is totally subjective to begin with -- to ONLY seven anything! It's hard enough to come up with 10 or 20!!  :HALKING:

Or is it just me???

And BTW "Jack Benny" would never make ANY of my "best" lists for this season, show or series, I've never found it that funny, impressive or memorable; what's it's great appeal would someone tell me? Is it the so-called "elaborate" sets they created/built/utilized for the vault scene?? I still don't get it. :blink:

I know it'd be CBS, this was strictly a hypothetical.

I guess I tried to choose episodes that, in a small quantity, gave an encompassing view of the show's entirety and how it evolved. I'll admit the Jack Benny episode is very, very silly, but I like it because of how Lucy played it. She was so straight-forward and no-nonsense when describing the ridiculous vault that I found myself believing it. She showed it to him like she was merely giving him a tour of a new office. I've also always gotten a kick out of her chastising the snapping turtles ("Okay fellas, beat it").

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to go back and go with Harrison's pretty awesome 4-disc idea and list of episodes since there's just no way IMHO you can narrow down this 6-season, 100-plus episode series to just 7, or even 10; hell the superior B&W first season alone could easily comprise a Best 20 collection...since most of those were so good, so memorable and so, so, so much better than what came later, with rare exception(s).

Besides, if this were a BD release, we could squeeze in a lot more! :lucycoy:

And yet it's probably the highest profile Lucy Show.   I found a TV column about the Emmy nominations for 67-68.  While the columnist didn't say what his pick was for Best Comedy Series, he did say "Lucy has had some pretty good shows this season.  Her best was the one with Jack Benny.  Her worst was the one with Dennis Day."  I don't know what he found objectionable about "Little Old Lucy".  And of course, "Jack Benny's Account" was the only Lucy script ever up for an Emmy.  But the whole bit was done before numerous times on Jack's own show, and on radio---and done better.  The episode might have been a fun one to be a part of the studio audience but it's never been one that I admire. The only gorilla-inclusive episode I can tolerate is "Hollywood Premiere" because up to that point, I enjoy it. 

Fidelman in his list of "author's favorite episodes of Lucy Show" ranked in order:  "JB's Account" comes in at #9.  

Like everybody's lists there are many I like but there's usually some odd one, in Fidelman's case "Lucy and Countess have Horse Guest"--a very enjoyable episode but not anywhere near my top ten Lucy Shows.