Carol Burnett to star in Poehler-helmed ABC sitcom!

Brock

Well that would be interesting. Perhaps she Eunice and Mama could go on the show to help sell Bakker's Buckets.

That potato soup.  It looks like somebody ALREADY used that bucket as a "port-a-john".

Christians are nothing but forgiven.  Jim Baaker scammed so many people in the 80s: among his scams: $3000 for a lifetime 2-weeks per year stay at their Heritage Inn.   Only problem: like the airlines, he WAY overbooked.  (like he got his idea from watching "The Producers")  And he's back on the air?

Tammy was forgiven way too easily if you ask me.  She was right in there reaping the benefits of the money along with him and was certainly a part of it.  She was able to rely on her "ditzy Tammy" persona to escape punishment. 

But in the first days of cable, with noting much on, "The Jim and Tammy Show" shown for hours everyday LIVE, could be entertaining, especially when Tammy would get emotional or "spoke in tongues".  And her singing: well, she wasn't bad but like Lucy in Operetta, whenever she opened her mouth the entire choir would join in, ostensibly as "back up singers". 

The entire meltdown was very interesting to watch unfold with Jim and Tammy professing their innocence right to the end.  It seems like there was something in addition to the money that brought them down.  Didn't Jim had a "lavender dalliance"?

And MOT: your dad had a shotgun at the ready to aim at the TV??  Was this before remote controls and he used it to change the channel???  I hope he was a Lucy fan. 

That potato soup.  It looks like somebody ALREADY used that bucket as a "port-a-john".

Christians are nothing but forgiven.  Jim Baaker scammed so many people in the 80s: among his scams: $3000 for a lifetime 2-weeks per year stay at their Heritage Inn.   Only problem: like the airlines, he WAY overbooked.  (like he got his idea from watching "The Producers")  And he's back on the air?

Tammy was forgiven way too easily if you ask me.  She was right in there reaping the benefits of the money along with him and was certainly a part of it.  She was able to rely on her "ditzy Tammy" persona to escape punishment. 

But in the first days of cable, with noting much on, "The Jim and Tammy Show" shown for hours everyday LIVE, could be entertaining, especially when Tammy would get emotional or "spoke in tongues".  And her singing: well, she wasn't bad but like Lucy in Operetta, whenever she opened her mouth the entire choir would join in, ostensibly as "back up singers". 

The entire meltdown was very interesting to watch unfold with Jim and Tammy professing their innocence right to the end.  It seems like there was something in addition to the money that brought them down.  Didn't Jim had a "lavender dalliance"?

And MOT: your dad had a shotgun at the ready to aim at the TV??  Was this before remote controls and he used it to change the channel???  I hope he was a Lucy fan. 

I had the dubious pleasure of living only about 20 miles from Bakker's Heritage U.S.A. and visited there a couple times back in the '80s out of curiosity.  It was pretty grotesque.  I was still living in the area throughout the scandal  In the spring of 1986, just about exactly one year before the whole thing busted wide open, The Charlotte Observer newspaper, which had been on the Bakkers' case for YEARS, published a week-long series of articles chronicling the excesses and suspicious activities and abuses by the Bakkers and their PTL Club associates.  Every single day for that entire week there were two to four FULL pages of articles -- all investigative journalism -- exposing tons of corruption by the Bakker empire.  I would read those articles in the morning or afternoon, then tune in to the P.T.L. Club at night and hear Bakker talk about how The Charlotte Observer was lying.  Huge segments of his show were spent bashing that newspaper, which people of his ilk in the community liked to refer to as The Charlotte Disturber.  But then a year later, in 1987, when the Jessica Hahn scandal blew up, the Bakkers ran off to Palm Springs hoping things would settle down in their absence, and they "temporarily" turned over their "ministry" to Jerry Fallwell, who almost immediately stabbed them in the back by exposing their wrongdoing to the public.  And pretty soon the authorities got involved and, at the end of the day, everything that I had read in The Charlotte Observer the year before -- all that stuff Bakker had said were lies, was found to be true.  It was ALL true.  ALL of it. 

There are very interesting parallels between Bakker back then and Donald Trump now, and their tactics and claims with regard to the legitimate media.  The Charlotte Observer, by the way, went on to win a Pulitzer Prize for their exposes and coverage of Bakker and the PTL Club.  Jim Bakker, meanwhile, went to prison.

On Newhart, they briefly make mention of one of Dick Loudon's fellow programs on the network: Reverend Milmore's Give Me All Your Money Show.

I kind of wish I was around to see TV ministries at their height- just for the entertainment value.

Well, it was certainly entertaining.  But within a couple years several of them got embroiled in some sort of scandal.  First it was Bakker.  Then Oral Roberts went up into some tower on the campus of his university and began a hunger strike (please send me money or I'll die).  Some multi-millionaire gambler from Florida sent Roberts a million dollars of his ill-gotten gain and Roberts eagerly took it.  A couple years after that, Jimmy Swaggart got caught at a motel with a prostitute and then went on the air whining and begging his viewers to forgive him.

At the height of the Bakker drama, which seemed to go on for YEARS and made a celebrity out of Jessica Hahn, there was this T-shirt, which sold pretty well.  It was created to make fun of the fact that Tammy Faye was known to love to go shopping at the mall (or T.J. Maxx) -- and, of course, all that makeup.  I bought one of these for my sister.  :)

http://www.rotatingcorpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/tammy.jpg

• Like 1

I'll never understand how all those Evangelicals could be so duped, so screwed over and ever even THINK of giving this tool a "second chance"! :blink:

Yes.. I realize it's the "Christian" thing to do...but people of Bakker's ilk never learn, never really think they did anything wrong....after all, it was all in "the name of the Lord"! :vanda:

How anybody could buy that slop that looks like vomit by the bucketful yet I'll never understand... GROSS!!

All that said, I did have some empathy for Tammy Faye... I/we'll never know how much she truly knew or was or wasn't in on...and her humiliation of losing everything and having her husband dragged off to jail and ultimately fighting a losing battle to cancer, I think she suffered enough.

Try to find and watch that documentary about her ..it's not only entertaining but enlightening as well.  You may come away with a bit more forgiveness for her. :lucyblah:

• Like 1

I'll never understand how all those Evangelicals could be so duped, so screwed over and ever even THINK of giving this tool a "second chance"! :blink:

Yes.. I realize it's the "Christian" thing to do...but people of Bakker's ilk never learn, never really think they did anything wrong....after all, it was all in "the name of the Lord"! :vanda:

How anybody could buy that slop that looks like vomit by the bucketful yet I'll never understand... GROSS!!

Another aspect of my point above about the parallels between Jim Bakker vs. Charlotte Observer and Donald Trump vs.  mainstream media.  Both were claiming the media outlets were lying about them, and both have been revealed to be the actual liars (and those media outlets exposing the truth).  But meanwhile, they both have followers gullible enough to be duped, and continue to be duped in spite of the obvious lies.  I guarantee you at least 90% of the people buying those buckets of slop from Jim Bakker also voted for Donald Trump and still support him.  You can't fix stupid.

All that said, I did have some empathy for Tammy Faye... I/we'll never know how much she truly knew or was or wasn't in on...and her humiliation of losing everything and having her husband dragged off to jail and ultimately fighting a losing battle to cancer, I think she suffered enough.

Try to find and watch that documentary about her ..it's not only entertaining but enlightening as well.  You may come away with a bit more forgiveness for her. :lucyblah:

Beyond her much too short life, I have limited sympathy for her.  I lived through all those years of her crying crocodile tears on TV.  Yes, it was Jim Bakker who was doing the scheming.  He was the one who went to prison.  But Tammy had to have some inkling of what was going on.  She was living in the lap of luxury.  She talked about shopping at TJ Maxx, but those fur coats, jewelry, expensive cars, etc., certainly didn't come from there.  Those Charlotte Observer articles, and subsequent FBI investigations, revealed the excesses Jim and Tammy both were enjoying.  That money didn't fall out of trees.  She knew full well the kind of people sending in that money that allowed her to live so lavishly.  Many of them were elderly and none of them were rich.

• Like 1

You can't fix stupid.

Amen,  brother! You're preaching to the choir there! :HALKING:

Beyond her much too short life, I have limited sympathy for her.  I lived through all those years of her crying crocodile tears on TV.  Yes, it was Jim Bakker who was doing the scheming.  He was the one who went to prison.  But Tammy had to have some inkling of what was going on.  She was living in the lap of luxury.  She talked about shopping at TJ Maxx, but those fur coats, jewelry, expensive cars, etc., certainly didn't come from there.  Those Charlotte Observer articles, and subsequent FBI investigations, revealed the excesses Jim and Tammy both were enjoying.  That money didn't fall out of trees.  She knew full well the kind of people sending in that money that allowed her to live so lavishly.  Many of them were elderly and none of them were rich.

I know, I hear you but despite the fact he went to prison and she didn't, I've seen the ravages of cancer up close and what it does to not only it's victim but also the loved ones adversely affected by it's stranglehold so...I feel a little more empathy towards her than I ever would for him, especially when he was not only duping all the innocents that you reference but also his "involvement" with the "lady" who ultimately was his doing, that Jessica floozy (always thought it funny her name was so close to Jezebel!! :blink: ).

You can't fix stupid.

Amen,  brother! You're preaching to the choir there! :HALKING:

I know, I hear you but despite the fact he went to prison and she didn't, I've seen the ravages of cancer up close and what it does to not only it's victim but also the loved ones adversely affected by it's stranglehold so...I feel a little more empathy towards her than I ever would for him, especially when he was not only duping all the innocents that you reference but also his "involvement" with the "lady" who ultimately was his doing, that Jessica floozy (always thought it funny her name was so close to Jezebel!! :blink: ).

Jessica Hahn was only 21 years old when that happened, probably very vulnerable and impressionable.  She was only a church secretary while he was a very powerful man in her eyes.  Also, Hahn claimed that Bakker and his friend had raped her.   As for Tammy, she was allegedly having a good time herself back in those days as well.  Don't you remember all that talk about wife swapping?  There are more juicy details in the article below that posted a few days ago.  Check the part, for example, about Tammy and the "Monster Mash" guy.  Some of this may be baseless gossip, I don't know, but she clearly was living the high life.  Their home was like 10,000 square feet!  And she went on lavish vacations and shopping sprees.

Cancer is horrible, I know.  I appreciate her boldness and efforts toward cancer awareness, but it doesn't erase her earlier actions and the people that were hurt, particularly so many of whom were elderly and on fixed incomes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/televangelists-jim-tammy-faye-bakker-fall-grace-article-1.3387060

Jessica Hahn was only 21 years old when that happened, probably very vulnerable and impressionable.  She was only a church secretary while he was a very powerful man in her eyes.  Also, Hahn claimed that Bakker and his friend had raped her.   As for Tammy, she was allegedly having a good time herself back in those days as well.  Don't you remember all that talk about wife swapping?  There are more juicy details in the article below that posted a few days ago.  Check the part, for example, about Tammy and the "Monster Mash" guy.  Some of this may be baseless gossip, I don't know, but she clearly was living the high life.  Their home was like 10,000 square feet!  And she went on lavish vacations and shopping sprees.

Cancer is horrible, I know.  I appreciate her boldness and efforts toward cancer awareness, but it doesn't erase her earlier actions and the people that were hurt, particularly so many of whom were elderly and on fixed incomes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/televangelists-jim-tammy-faye-bakker-fall-grace-article-1.3387060

Darn it!  The Jessica Hahn episode of the series Scandal Made Me Famous just aired this past Saturday on Reelz.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7174278/?ref_=tt_eps_cu_n

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 0:13 PM, Brock said:

The Hollywood Reporter says "Household Name" is still alive and being "reworked":

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/natasha-lyonne-star-netflix-comedy-amy-poehler-leslye-headland-1041520

Well that's interesting, given by all appearances there was some lack of interest and CB's moved on, currently taping the "modern day" version of "Kids Say the Darndest Things" (you younguns can Google it!) which, from what a "Little Birdy" in attendance tells me was NOT going well, at least during taping....but then modern-day editing can work wonders with lots of these otherwise problematic productions. :blink: