ILL "Superstar Special" #2 (Grauman's/Wayne) on DVD Jan. 17th

Mot Morenzi

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Love-Lucy-Superstar-Special-2/22777

• The laughs never stop with the I LOVE LUCY Superstar Special #2, starring John Wayne, as broadcast on CBS (5/20/2016). Also included are the full-length versions of the two featured episodes, both colorized and in original black and white.

Following the release of the first one early this month, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution have today announced that on January 17th they will put I Love Lucy - Superstar Special #2 on DVD. This 45-minute disc includes both colorized and original black-and-white versions of both "Lucy Visits Grauman's" and "Lucy and John Wayne," which are the first two episodes of the show's 5th season, first broadcasting in fall 1955. Pricing is expected to be $16.99 SRP.

Well that didn't take long! Love the color scheme on the packaging.

ILoveLucy_SuperstarSpecialNo2.jpg

Great news, but it seems strange they wouldn't try to get this out there for stocking stuffers.

Agreed... and actually, if I'm being honest I feel it's just more greed by CBS; there's no reason, given the fact a regular DVD has space for about 8 half-hour episodes (at least) and they're releasing these with both the "regular" (B&W) and colorized versions there's no "logistics" reason they had to break these into two volumes; they could just as easily fit and been released in one value-priced package (i.e. "I Love Lucy Superstar Specials")! :blink:

Would've been nice too if they'd offered them on Blu-ray, even if they charged (inevitably) a few bucks more.

(But then we're talking CB$ here...they probably would have put it out at $50 suggested retail!! :blink:) :vanda::lucyeww:

BTW...anyone gone to Amazon, etc. lately and checked what the 'Ultimate" S1 and S2 Blu's are going for now?? Unbelieveable... well...not really.  More realistic is more like it! :HALKING:

I Love Lucy: The Ultimate Season 1 [blu-ray] Blu-ray $16.51

I Love Lucy: The Ultimate Season 2 [blu-ray] Blu-ray $34.87

Personally, I like the individual "Superstar Special" releases. More cover art and they look groovy on the DVD shelf. ;)

Agreed. I like the consistency between the designs.

I only wish they'd use dual layer discs instead of single layer. Though still eminently watchable, the compression artifacts are more noticeable than on past releases. Even more so nowadays since most will be watching these on HDTVs.

Agreed. I like the consistency between the designs.

I only wish they'd use dual layer discs instead of single layer. Though still eminently watchable, the compression artifacts are more noticeable than on past releases. Even more so nowadays since most will be watching these on HDTVs.

I don't think it'd make that much difference but then it's going to depend on your playback equipment, monitor, set-up etc. etc.  I played mine on my blu-player and the eps looked great...and Brian you know how much it pains me to say that!! :blink:

I don't think it'd make that much difference but then it's going to depend on your playback equipment, monitor, set-up etc. etc.  I played mine on my blu-player and the eps looked great...and Brian you know how much it pains me to say that!! :blink:

No matter how you slice it, a 480i imagine isn't going to look as good on a 1080p TV as it would on an SD. That's a given. But the compression is less of an issue when a dual layer disc is concerned. On this release, you had the 45 minute network version, plus the unedited versions of both episodes in both color and black and white. That's a little over 2 hours worth of video content on a single layer disc. The quality dip from previous Lucy DVDs, though still serviceable, is noticeable.

• Like 1

No matter how you slice it, a 480i imagine isn't going to look as good on a 1080p TV as it would on an SD. That's a given. But the compression is less of an issue when a dual layer disc is concerned. On this release, you had the 45 minute network version, plus the unedited versions of both episodes in both color and black and white. That's a little over 2 hours worth of video content on a single layer disc. The quality dip from previous Lucy DVDs, though still serviceable, is noticeable.

True and I hear you and agree with you however I doubt the "average" (if there is such a thing) Lucy viewer via DVD is going to notice a difference, however negligible.  But then your argument just reinforces (I think) that a Blu alternative would have been preferable, at least to me.

As for these coming out in multiple volumes when that wasn't necessary...well, I think that also bolsters your argument for a dual layer disc...and mine that a Blu alternative/choice would be viable.  Yes the packaging and artwork is cool...but it could have been done in such a way as to incorporate all of it in ONE nice tidy package, I don't need multiples when unnecessary -- we've seen this pattern before: when the DVDs were first released, they were in volume sets with just a few episodes on each; ultimately we got the full season by season boxes.  I don't think any company has mastered the art of enticing consumers to "double dip" more than CB$... and you know as well as I do it's not in service to us as consumers/fans, rather it's all about every last dollar that CB$ can wring from the never ending ca$h cow that is I Love Lucy. :blink:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone have an inkling if there will be another Superstar special next month?

Probably not. My guess is that CBS just wants to do these I Love Lucy specials (Christmas and non-Christmas) twice a year at this time.

I, for one, am crossing my fingers to see an I Love Lucy Mother's Day Special in May containing colorized episodes of Lucy Is Enciente & Lucy Goes to the Hospital.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The recent Dick Van Dyke colour airing is getting a MOD release on both DVD and Blu-Ray sometime in the near future. Interesting CBS is putting this on Blu-Ray and not the Lucy broadcasts.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dick-Van-Dyke-Now-in-Living-Color/22893

TheDickVanDykeShow_NowInLivingColor_DVD.

TheDickVanDykeShow_NowInLivingColor_BLU.

WHAT??!!

To be clear, I AM a DVD/TDVDS fan but wow, how unfair!!! They CB$ pull the plug on the ILL blu-rays but make THIS available in the best format currently available??! WTF!?

I am not a happy camper!! 

Below pretend "Ricky Ricardo" reads "CBS Home Entertainment" (sorry, if only I had PhotoShop!!) and it shows how I feel right now! UGH!!  (And not to be a pill about it but I find the usage of the expression" in LIVING COLOR" a bit ironic given half the cast is no longer with us and the surviving are either not well (MTM, bless her heart) or over 90 (but gratefully, still going strong!)!!! :blink:

pc-lucy_on_strike.jpg

Remember that Lucy got wide releases whereas this is MOD, and probably cheaper.

Not to mention the cover looks a little... unprofessional.

Yes I realize that but at least they're (CB$$$) making them available on Blu!! They should start doing this avenue then to continue the ILL release(s) if they're not going to complete them as they began! "Bare bones" is better than NO bones IMHO! :blink:

Looking forward to this despite it not being I Love Lucy. It's classic tv nonetheless.

The recent Dick Van Dyke colour airing is getting a MOD release on both DVD and Blu-Ray sometime in the near future. Interesting CBS is putting this on Blu-Ray and not the Lucy broadcasts.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dick-Van-Dyke-Now-in-Living-Color/22893

TheDickVanDykeShow_NowInLivingColor_DVD.

TheDickVanDykeShow_NowInLivingColor_BLU.

• 1 month later...

Received my copy of #2 today. I'm pleased they're continuing to put the broadcast version alongside the full-length episodes. A nice extra touch. Will try and post menu captures at some point.

Yeah! Thank you buddy! :peachonthebeach:

Look forward to getting this -- my second copy is supposed to arrive today. The first one arrived on Friday from amazon.ca completely mangled within its pristine envelope. :o Someone smashed it on the way back to Graumann's.

:lucywow:

Look forward to getting this -- my second copy is supposed to arrive today. The first one arrived on Friday from amazon.ca completely mangled within its pristine envelope. :o Someone smashed it on the way back to Graumann's.

OMG! I had the same problems getting the first one through Amazon. Two arrived damaged, one got put in the wrong PO box and stolen! But those envelopes aren't good for DVD cases, especially since they're so fragile these days. They really need to rethink their packaging schemes.

I got my copy and this is another great I Love Lucy color show dvd. I like to see the color shows complete with no parts removed. So any news on if or when we will get the other color shows on dvd such as the Christmas show with the color flashback parts, Lucy Does A TV Commercial and Lucy Gets Into Pictures? Thanks CBS and all people involved with the dvd. A SUPER job. :ill: