#161 Irene Kampen Tripp

Irene Kampen Tripp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:33 PM

I love MOMMIE DEAREST too ,,, in fact.. THAT movie is what started my interest in JOAN CRAWFORD.  YOU know something guys??  I have always thought of BETTE, JOAN and LUCY to be THE ones to love.  All the other actresses from Hollywood's Golden Era are good.. but the three i mentioned seem to me to be the cornerstones of greatness.  (to me anyway)  And they all had fatherless childhoods, pretty blue eyes and drew their lipstick over the lip line.  AND brassy bitches ... what's not to love??? 

• JoeyCentralCal likes this

#162 Freddie2

Freddie2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

I first saw Baby Jane not long after my first time seeing Sunset Boulevard, which was basically a cathartic experience for me (no moment has EVER hit me in the gut like the final scene of Sunset), so my mind was all pumped for another "Tear Down Old Hollywood" tragicomedy. No, Baby Jane's not a horror movie, but there's a lot of horrible stuff in it. I'd face Jane Hudson over BD Hyman any day.

Also: Has Margot Merril passed away? I recently read that she had. I suppose it's a good thing her life has been out of the spotlight and not exploited in any way.
  • Mot Morenzi likes this

4u6fwl.jpg

#163 Brock

Brock

The Original AbFab

• Administrators
  • 33,442 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

I first saw Baby Jane not long after my first time seeing Sunset Boulevard, which was basically a cathartic experience for me (no moment has EVER hit me in the gut like the final scene of Sunset), so my mind was all pumped for another "Tear Down Old Hollywood" tragicomedy. No, Baby Jane's not a horror movie, but there's a lot of horrible stuff in it. I'd face Jane Hudson over BD Hyman any day.

Also: Has Margot Merril passed away? I recently read that she had. I suppose it's a good thing her life has been out of the spotlight and not exploited in any way.

Margot is still alive, as far as I am aware.

Michael Merrill's wife, Chou, died a couple of years ago and Margot was listed among her survivors -- and B.D. was not. As it should be.

lucy-lansbury.jpg

"Featuring Angela Lansbury in the most dramatic performance of her career."

#164 JoeyCentralCal

JoeyCentralCal

BETTE ON BROADWAY! Bette=Dolly Levi=HELLO DOLLY!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,907 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley CA (near Modesto)

Posted Yesterday, 01:45 AM

I love MOMMIE DEAREST too ,,, in fact.. THAT movie is what started my interest in JOAN CRAWFORD.  YOU know something guys??  I have always thought of BETTE, JOAN and LUCY to be THE ones to love.  All the other actresses from Hollywood's Golden Era are good.. but the three i mentioned seem to me to be the cornerstones of greatness.  (to me anyway)  And they all had fatherless childhoods, pretty blue eyes and drew their lipstick over the lip line.  AND brassy bitches ... what's not to love??? 

Well said. :lucyhmm:

La%2BLa%2BLand%2Bdance.gif

Ryan Gossling * Emma Stone

in

LA LA LAND

Winner:

SIX ACADEMY AWARDS!!!

(from 14 OSCAR NOMINATIONS)

SEVEN Golden Globes!

Screen Actors Guild Awards: Best Actress Emma Stone

Producers Guild of America:   Best Picture

Directors Guild of America: Best Director Damien Chazelle

American Cinema Editors – Comedy/Musical: Tom Cross
Art Directors Guild – Contemporary Film:  David Wasco

Casting Society of America – Big Budget Comedy/Musical: Deborah Aquila, Tricia Wood

#165 Mot Morenzi

Mot Morenzi

Ball of Fire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted Yesterday, 05:18 AM

I don't consider it a "horror" film.

Neither do I. It's always been a darkly tragic drama to me, though it does have black comedy elements in it.

#166 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:42 PM

Neither do I. It's always been a darkly tragic drama to me, though it does have black comedy elements in it.

It's really hilarious; and I'm not talking about the camp aspects.   Examples:

-the initial meeting of Jane and Edwin where he takes the entire tray of cookies

-Edwin, playing the piano looks at Jane performing and winces as she hits a clinker

-Every scene with Edwin and his mother; particularly the sight of huge Edwin in his pajamas standing next to short Marjorie Bennett  and their big argument culminating in Edwin saying to his mother "Isn't that how I was conceived?" and the look on Marjorie's face afterward.

-Jane trying to act all coquettish placing her ad in the newspaper office "I think the personal column is nicer, don't you?"

-Jane, shaking the dust out of that ratty fur then smearing her lipstick on into the camera, followed by the look of self-approval

-Jane playing with her split ends as Blanche is lying about having to sell the house

#167 Brock

Brock

The Original AbFab

• Administrators
  • 33,442 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:50 PM

It's really hilarious; and I'm not talking about the camp aspects.   Examples:

-the initial meeting of Jane and Edwin where he takes the entire tray of cookies

-Edwin, playing the piano looks at Jane performing and winces as she hits a clinker

-Every scene with Edwin and his mother; particularly the sight of huge Edwin in his pajamas standing next to short Marjorie Bennett  and their big argument culminating in Edwin saying to his mother "Isn't that how I was conceived?" and the look on Marjorie's face afterward.

Everything involving Edwin is wonderful -- and I didn't truly realise how amazing Victor Buono was in this until seeing it on the big screen. Every move he makes, especially taking the tray, and adjusting the genuine Baby Jane Hudson doll (with real hair).

lucy-lansbury.jpg

"Featuring Angela Lansbury in the most dramatic performance of her career."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users