LucyFest 2017

Brock

• 3 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Lisa Lampanelli To Make Jamestown Debut, by Gain Paterniti, "'Queen of Mean,' racy, raunchy humor,  (yay, another Joan Rivers!!!! editorial comment); Lampanelli, along with Lew Black, Jim Gaffigan, Kevein James, will appear 8/5, Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, 9 p.m.;" published, 2017.

• Like 1

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Lisa Lampanelli To Make Jamestown Debut, by Gain Paterniti, "'Queen of Mean,' racy, raunchy humor,  (yay, another Joan Rivers!!!! editorial comment); Lampanelli, along with Lew Black, Jim Gaffigan, Kevein James, will appear 8/5, Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, 9 p.m.;" published, 2017.

Whoa, really??  Is Jamestown really ready for Lisa Lampanelli?? She makes Joan Rivers look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm!! :blink:

I'm seeing many disclaimers about age for certain acts when you go to the festival website. At least the kiddies will be warned but not so sure about those tea toatlers who complained about Joan.

Tea totalers or not, if they don't do their "homework" before buying a ticket, I have little to no "sympathy" for them! 

Especially in this day and age when it's so simple to "google" any semi- or famous person to find out about them and what their "style" is -- especially a comic who invariably has video samples of their work out there (e.g. YouTube can come in very handy in instances like this) -- I don't think anyone who pays good money to see a performer they haven't checked out beforehand has any room to bitch....

Just like folks who shell out for a movie they know NOTHING about, haven't even bothered to find out who's in it or what the plot's about but then sits through the damn thing and complains to all who'll listen what a waste of time it was!! :blink:

I just don't get it. Do your homework FIRST! :lucywow:

I think the general problem now days is that people are just lazy or dumb, or both. I had someone cutting my hair who didn't know you could buy groceries on Amazon. Or over on social media I'll post about when the new colorized Lucy show will be on and what network. Everything you need to know is in the post, yet I get all these comments asking when it's on. So it's not even research people are too lazy to do. They just don't even read anymore.

I've seen many people on travel sites buy Broadway tickets with huge extra fees on, $50 plus per ticket, then after the purchase go on trip advisor and ask why they were so much. Dipshit. You bought from a third party seller. Research first and you would have learned this.

• Like 2

I think the general problem now days is that people are just lazy or dumb, or both. I had someone cutting my hair who didn't know you could buy groceries on Amazon. Or over on social media I'll post about when the new colorized Lucy show will be on and what network. Everything you need to know is in the post, yet I get all these comments asking when it's on. So it's not even research people are too lazy to do. They just don't even read anymore.

I've seen many people on travel sites buy Broadway tickets with huge extra fees on, $50 plus per ticket, then after the purchase go on trip advisor and ask why they were so much. Dipshit. You bought from a third party seller. Research first and you would have learned this.

Exactly! Love this...I could frame it! Thanks, Shelly!  :lucythrill:

• Like 1

I've been lamenting the SAME DAMN THING except on a much smaller scale. At my school, absolutely nobody reads flyers that are put up in the hallways and they ignore announcements that are made over the intercom. This is especially frustrating for me because I'm one of those people that constantly gets asked about dates and times and whatever. I can't remember everything- just read the damn flyers! I've discovered that the only way to be sure and get news out is to physically go around to tables in the cafeteria during lunches and spread the word. It's these phones- they've given us the attention span of a peanut! 

Geez- I sound like Uncle Harry! :gale2:

• Like 1

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY,  Robert Klein To Highlight Career In Comedy, by Gavin Paterniti, [TICKETS, 8/5 Reg:  $15 - I find this amazing!!!!] "Klein delivers a screening of his new documentary film, ​Robert Klein Still Can't Stop His Leg, ​6 p.m. and highlights his nearly 50-year career;" [shortened for effect], published, 2017.

On a road trip through northwest PA/western NY and found myself 35 miles from Jamestown. Decided to head over and stay the night. Stopped at the park in Celeron and went downtown long enough to see what goodies were at the Frame Shop. Tomorrow it's off to the museum and the Fenton History Center. Parts of roads are already being blocked off for the festival. It is strange being here without the crowds.

• Like 1

The purse Lucy had when she married Gary can be yours for $4,000! There was also an original script for "Never Do Business with Friends" for over $1,000. There were also various tribute magazines released after her death, posters, older biographies, etc... I did snag a TLS script (Lucy and the Sleeping Beauty). I saw a box with a Lucy print sticking out. They might be getting things out for the festival. You'll have to let me know if I missed out on anything!

I have on video the garter that was thrown at Lucy and Gary's wedding. It was a late addition to the 99' LA convention auction. The guy who caught it put it in at a $5000 reserve. It didn't sell. I wonder what happened to it. He had a picture of him and Lucy posing with it to.

• Like 1

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question of the Day:  "Have you ever seen a Robert Klein stand-up special?" - Yes:  18%; No:  82%.

[i was recently asked about percentages; so, here is my reply:  When Lucille Ball-related questions were posed in the P-J, I attempted to get the actual number of persons voting:  it failed miserably; and I could name the person I called; who was 'very put out' that he had to bother himself to get those numbers to me; so, after the NEXT time, and he never responded to my phone messages (3 times, I think); I quit trying to do that - and won't embarrass him by naming him; but, may try again one of these days; if same thing happens, I may go to the editor himself to complain; don't know; depends on how mad I get!  So, just say to yourself; if 10 voted, there is your percentage in reality; i.e. in this Klein case, for instance: nearly 2 of 10, yes/no]  respectfully submitted, JK :fabrary: 

I have on video the garter that was thrown at Lucy and Gary's wedding. It was a late addition to the 99' LA convention auction. The guy who caught it put it in at a $5000 reserve. It didn't sell. I wonder what happened to it. He had a picture of him and Lucy posing with it to.

Any chance it was arrdubya?  Rumor (truth) has it, he had MANY artifacts in his home apartment; made a serious mistake of asking two friends to catalog his 'stuff'; it's my understanding, for instance, and verified to me personally when I asked each of these two persons, that some 'missing' donations to the Museum were among those items cataloged.

It's also my understanding MANY of 'his' home-cataloged artifacts remain for sale at the Frame Shop.  Perhaps that's how his 'income' to remain in Jamestown is made, which, also my understanding, he still owns and resides in a home on Lakeview Avenue.

I enjoyed my visit, even somehow getting lost at Lake View Cemetery. I guess I drove through the wrong gate or made a wrong turn or something. Alas, I found the trail of hearts.

One thing that bugged me at the museum was the display of paper artifacts (Lucy's Mame script, tv guides) under fluorescent lights. They're faded and look horrible because of it.

Enjoyed The Fenton. I think I took a picture of every Lucy photo in the exhibit! Also nice to learn some history of the area.

I might try to get back for the festival next year. It's been 7 years since my last one. Do they still have the Collector's Show?

• Like 1

Well Rick was sitting next to me at that auction so no he did not buy it then. Who knows what happened after the auction finished.

Thanks for the information; maybe 'those who he had catalog his apartment collectibles' weren't nearly as truthful as I had assumed them to be; I appreciate the 'facts'; which have been hanging out there so long.  Do you KNOW if my information about the FRAME SHOP as 'his private sales' is correct?  I really would like to know if you know.

Just another quick question, if you'd care to comment; did he BID on that object?  Thanks if you remember.