LucyFest 2017

Brock

Today has been a blast so far.

After breakfast, it was off to Celoron to catch the Summer Wind Cruise with Wanda.

Sitting on the top of the boat, my Mom, Mike Elliott and I caught up with Taylor and Gypsy.

Wanda once again had the crowd in the palm of her hand in another event hosted by Ric.

This time, it was more of a show and tell with a “treasure chest” of objects being used to facilitate discussion. These artefacts included a photo of the full cast and crew of Here’s Lucy, a framed photo of Lucy and Gale, a Lucille Ball Productions ice bucket, and Carol Burnett clippings. It was great, and Wanda told some marvellous stories.

For those keeping score, both statues of Lucy remain in place at Lucille Ball Memorial Park.

Following the cruise, it was back to the Train Station to check out how we’re doing in the silent auction and take in the George Carlin exhibition. Very well done – and interactive!

With that done, I went down the street to the Dykeman Young Gallery – one of my all-time favourite shops – to see their photographic exhibition of local Lucy landmarks and get lost in the vintage emporium. I came out of there with a framed vintage photo of a Jamestown streetscape featuring a truck promoting the upcoming premiere of Forever Darling, an autographed photo of Willard Waterman (it was a good deal) and five lobby cards from April In Paris with Doris Day and Ray Bolger.

It pained me to leave behind another non-Lucy-related item and I am going to have to sleep on that one.

It has been a quiet afternoon and evening, however, as I had to stay in the hotel and do a bit of work, but in between I’ve grabbed dinner and watched the biblical floods continue to unfold.

I sat out the Trivia Contest for the first time ever. The antiseptic current format of the contest really leaves me cold.

Next: The King of Queens and a Pub reunion with Shelly! :D

Is everyone up for Taco Hut tomorrow? Looking at the schedule I think the time that would work for most people is 3.30 p.m. Thoughts?

3:30 sounds good.

Kevin James was wondaful tonight -- and very funny. However, his warm-up act -- his brother -- was horrifically unfunny. My working theory is he hired his brother to accentuate the fact he is the much funnier spawn by far.

The highlight of the evening, however, was catching up with Shelly and Mike at The Pub, along with Diane Vincent, Rhonda Medina and Steve Ritter. As far as Mike and Shelly are concerned, I always marvel at the fact our friendship continue to flourish as strong as ever after 20 years and counting. Know that I am very grateful. And it all started with just a single email to the Lucy List.

• Like 1

3:30 sounds good.

3:30 works for me, as well. 

Yesterday was well spent for me; lunch at the Pub with the McCuloughs; our about 7 or 8-year reunion; much loved by me, as all reunions are, catching up and in person.  We took a 'tour' provided by me, as passenger; my old hometown haunts in Celoron and through Boatlanding improvements; bike path; speaking from memory of the wonderful 'other' world we can provide locally through the Riverwalk and Chadakoin wilderness; which is accessible only by pontoon or small boat; a journey should be made available to all who come to LucyTown [pontoons can be rented locally for that purpose; something the Museum should be thinking of making available to participants; just a suggestion by one of the locals:  ME![  Would beat the Summer Wind excursion(s) 1000-fold.

We drove over to view the Hotel being built - QUICKLY - in the field next to where I lived for 20.5 years, Ellicott Shores and walked down on my old front yard to see the Lake up close and personal; all in all, the most pleasurable and productive time I've spent in quite awhile; since I spend so MANY hours, DAILY, on the chronology; oddly, something the present Exec. Dir. wants nothing to do with [bIG MISTAKE!!] - but, invites and probably pays the former ED to interviews (BIGGER MISTAKE]; he'll take back over given the opportunity! just watch). 

He and his second-in-command, sure tried to get me to SIGN OFF ON THE CHRONOLOGY WHEN IT WAS ONLY 200 pages; now, at 1200!!!!

Sorry about the poor weather yesterday; more coming today, I'm afraid; ah, well, western NY:  NEVER CAN TELL!

​Hope each of you is enjoying the Fest, in spite of poor weather.  Safe journey home for those not attending the Taco Hut reunion, which I'm also greatly looking forward to.  JK :fabrary: 

• Like 1

Bless America Online and my first computer at age 16 that let me find that mailing list back in the mid 90s. It's amazing how much joy and how many friendships it brought me.

It's going to be a long day today with brunches, dinners and ending with drunken shenanigans by the end of it. I'll be decked out in my 50s attire today so I'm very happy the temperature dropped.

August 5, 2017:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, King of Comedy, Comedian Kevin James Fills City Arena With Laughs, 'You like your Timmy Hortons.  It's literally how you give directions around here.', by A. J. Rao, "Friday, in front of packed house at Northwest Arena, James brought the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival a hilarious mix of his trademark charm, physicl comedy and everyday gripes;" published, 2017.  [shortened for effect:  JK]

The Post-Journal, Political Correctness, History Of Comedy Discussed At Chautauqua, by Katrina Fuller, Chautauqua, "A downpour didn't stop thoughts and musings from 3 comedic minds Friday morning. The Chautauqua Institution Amphitheater was filled to hear Kelly Carlin, Stephen Morrison, Kliph Nesteroff discuss history of comedy and political correctness.  Morrison is exec. producer, CNN, 'History of Comedy;' Nesteroff, best-selling author, comedian, no strangers to funny business. [shortened for effect:  complete lengthy article:  thepost-journal.com]

The Post-Journal, A Lakewood Lens, Summer 2017:  Fabulous So Far, by Margot Russell, "Some folks are already starting to gloat. Summer 2017 seems to be shaping up a great one for local business owners: 'sales are up,' from wine shops to boat rentals to cottage leasing(s).  NYS tourism bureau understands the best thing about our area is natural presence; nothing gimmicky about rolling hills, new hotel on-the-Lake, in Celoron, etc.; a beginning of unprecedented level of tourism in our county.  One of season's success stories is collaboration between Chautauqua Institution and the National Comedy Center to integrate comedy theme(s) into Week Six of Institute's program, busiest week of entire season thus far, as lectures and workshops explored themes between mind and funny bone, 'a fresh idea;' published, 2017. [shortened for effect:  complete lengthy article:  thepost-journal.com]

something the present Exec. Dir. wants nothing to do with [bIG MISTAKE!!] - but, invites and probably pays the former ED to interviews (BIGGER MISTAKE]; he'll take back over given the opportunity! just watch). 

You said that four years ago when he came back with Ret Turner. Still watching...

See you this afternoon! :D

Kevin James was wondaful tonight -- and very funny. However, his warm-up act -- his brother -- was horrifically unfunny. My working theory is he hired his brother to accentuate the fact he is the much funnier spawn by far.

The highlight of the evening, however, was catching up with Shelly and Mike at The Pub, along with Diane Vincent, Rhonda Medina and Steve Ritter. As far as Mike and Shelly are concerned, I always marvel at the fact our friendship continue to flourish as strong as ever after 20 years and counting. Know that I am very grateful. And it all started with just a single email to the Lucy List.

So who emailed whom? And who "originated" (?)/started/ran the Lucy List?

The Post-Journal, Chamber of Commerce, Todd J. Tranum, Pres., I Love NY Meets I Love Lucy, "NYS has, once again, reaffirmed commitment to NCC, Chautauqua County, and the WNY region.  Special trip last week kicked off annual Lucy Comedy Festival weekend, and announced first major sponsorship from the I Love New York Tourism Program with $500 thousand dedicated to promote this unique attraction; support in addition to $14 million state has already invested to see facility built;" published, 2017.  [shortened for effect]

The Post-Journal, Robert Klein Discussed Expansive Career In Comedy, by Jordan W. Patterson, "Comedy, front and center, spanning 40 years.  Klein sat down Saturday night at Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, in segment called 'A conversation w/Robert Klein.' Screening of clips highlighting his career which mixes comedy and music.  Coming from the Bronx to upstate to NYS College, Alfred, Hornell, NY, 1962, wanting to become a doctor; several things getting in his way:  calculus, physics, chemistry, reading, spelling, aptitude, attitude, inclination, and women; not to mention attendance, talent; steering instead to comedy/music; in 1975, the 1st comedian appearing live in concert on HBO;" published, 2017. 

(There goes my intuition that Lucie Arnaz would suddenly appear.... along with some 'other' assumptions I've made along the way... oh me, oh my!)

Brock always does fantastic recaps and went to more events than I did this weekend, but I wanted to give my recap of the weekend too. I will get my pictures up when I have chance to sort them all. Hopefully by the end of this week.

I got into town on Friday and went straight to the train station to check out the Desi at 100 exhibit. Ran into Greg (MaryJane)fan coming out. The exhibit was small but nice. I haven’t had time to read the Wildcat notes but I got a good picture and will pick that one apart later this week. I liked that they had his life story presented on the one wall. The anniversary card from Lucy to Desi was my favorite. At the end they had the thank you card Lucie sent out to all those that sent condolences about her father’s death. The one they had displayed was written out to Pepito’s wife Joanne. I wish they had on the little card who Joanne was, as that would have made what Lucie wrote make more sense.

Met up with Brock and Mike Elliot for drinks at the Pub after they got done with Kevin James. First time I’ve seen these guys in years. Wore out my voice on night 1.

Saturday was off to the Fab 4 brunch. Wore my full 50’s regalia, lady gloves and all. The lovely Wanda Clark was in attendance and I think this may have been the first time I’ve actually talked to her. She was very happy that I asked for a picture with her. I said I should be the happy one. She’s just a gem. I’m glad that she likes to come to Jamestown so much as she offers a rare insight into Lucy’s life and especially the years that don’t get talked about as much. Show was great. Lots of the best musical moments for the show and I believe the first time I’ve seen a show with all 4 characters represented. Greg and I got up on stage for some joke telling during the I’ll Build a Bungalow number and they worked us into the finale of that song.

After the show I was off to check out the Dykeman Young Gallery. Nice little shop but alas no Lucy exhibit in their gallery this year. Parked outside was what I called the Short Short Trailer. A couple attending their first festival made this cute Lucy trailer and had it parked there all weekend. I also stopped and checked out the annual grape stomping and candy wrapping. I walked by again around 7pm and it was still going strong.

Met up with Taylor, Gypsy, Brock, Mike and Magster at the annual Taco Hut gathering and then it was off to the Wanda dinner in the Tropicana Room. I realized this was my first time in that room. I felt the event got off to a slow start as I was wanting more Wanda and less intro. They had Melody Scott Thomas via phone to say hello to Wanda as Wanda was her assistant for a short time. Nice, but I felt we could have had some more Lucy stories filling this time. As we got rolling though it got good and there were some nice video clips and pictures that carried us through the Lucy years that Wanda worked for Lucy. Our surprise guest was a phone call to Carole Cook and she is still the Carole we know and love. She told some funny tales and even the one about when Lucy’s ashes were removed from Forest Lawn and Carole telling Gary, “Now no one will come visit you.” I had read this story before but it was funny to hear Carole actually tell it.

Later in the evening it was to the lobby of the Best Western for the annual after party with Diane Rhonda and the Lucy crew. A good time was had by all. Much too late of a good time for some of us. I’m still trying to catch up on sleep from this weekend. I got a chance to talk to the new guys who did Ricky and Fred. They had both done the I Love Lucy on Stage Tour but I checked my program and sadly they were not my Ricky and Fred when I saw it in Hershey.

Sunday morning came way too fast. I took some time to sit by Chautauqua Lake on Lucy’s birthday and check out the new statue. It’s more wonderful in person. Headed out of town by 1pm. As I’m driving I pass the Welcome to Jamestown sign which holds the Birthplace of Lucille Ball sign under it. As I passed I said. “106 years ago today baby!” Waved to the mural of the gang as I left and hoped to stay awake for my drive home.

It’s been 10 years since I’ve been to a festival, and even though it’s changed a lot and there are less Lucy events I still had a good time. It’s just fun to walk around and see people in all their Lucy shirts taking pictures and having a nice time. Met some new people this year and enjoyed talking to those I came across in passing. A hand count at the Wanda dinner Saturday night showed there were a lot people attending their first festival. I posted all weekend on my Instagram and had so many comments from people wanting to add this to their bucket list and living vicariously though my pictures. I really hope that Lucy stays in the festival because it does draw a lot of people.

• Like 1

August 11, 2017

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, 'I'm not saying it's better than the holidays, but it's getting close,' All Smiles, Comedy Festival A Big Success For Officials, Local Businesses, by Gavin Paterniti, "Another Festival in books, annual everyone involved both directly, otherwise, satisfied w/end result. The Pub:  'LucyFest absolutely amazing; repeat out-of-towners;  definitely a top three of our weekends of year, not saying it's better than holidays, but it's getting close,' Sam Lisciandro, owner. Tom Constantine, The Cherry Lounge:  similar experience from his Cherry St. restaurant. 'Weekend business double what we usually have.' Performances by Gaffigan, Black, James, Klein, Lampanelli, 20+ others various sold-out performances, some in newly-constructed 4000-seat Chautauqua Institution Amphitheater. Highlight:  George Carlin Archives, w/25,000+ artifacts saved by comedian over 50+-year career; w/10,000 handwritten joke files, set lists, scrapbooks, costumes, thousands of hours of rate audiovisual content.  Highest attended exhibit, previewed at Chautauqua Institution. Other comedy events; Kids' Comedy; and Desi Arnaz 100th-year birthday celebration.  NCC scheduled opening summer, 2018; first cultural non-profit, national-scale visitor experience dedicated to comedy w/70+ comedy exhibits;" [www.nationalcomedycenter.org] [shortened for effect]published, 2017.

August 11, 2017

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, 'I'm not saying it's better than the holidays, but it's getting close,' All Smiles, Comedy Festival A Big Success For Officials, Local Businesses, by Gavin Paterniti, "Another Festival in books, annual everyone involved both directly, otherwise, satisfied w/end result. The Pub:  'LucyFest absolutely amazing; repeat out-of-towners;  definitely a top three of our weekends of year, not saying it's better than holidays, but it's getting close,' Sam Lisciandro, owner. Tom Constantine, The Cherry Lounge:  similar experience from his Cherry St. restaurant. 'Weekend business double what we usually have.' Performances by Gaffigan, Black, James, Klein, Lampanelli, 20+ others various sold-out performances, some in newly-constructed 4000-seat Chautauqua Institution Amphitheater. Highlight:  George Carlin Archives, w/25,000+ artifacts saved by comedian over 50+-year career; w/10,000 handwritten joke files, set lists, scrapbooks, costumes, thousands of hours of rate audiovisual content.  Highest attended exhibit, previewed at Chautauqua Institution. Other comedy events; Kids' Comedy; and Desi Arnaz 100th-year birthday celebration.  NCC scheduled opening summer, 2018; first cultural non-profit, national-scale visitor experience dedicated to comedy w/70+ comedy exhibits;" [www.nationalcomedycenter.org] [shortened for effect]published, 2017.

"thousands of hours of rate audiovisual".... you mean rare:lucyhorror: 

• 4 weeks later...