Lesser mentioned I Love Lucy episodes

What are some lesser mentioned I Love Lucy episodes that nobody really talks about on here?

Men Are Messy

Breaking The Lease

The Handcuffs

Ricky Loses His Voice

Never Do Business with Friends

The French Revue

Ricky Loses His Temper

Lucy's Club Dance

Lucy's Mother In Law

The Star Upstairs

Ricky Needs an Agent

Paris at Last

Lucy's Night In Town

Lucy Raises Chickens

• Like 1

What are some lesser mentioned I Love Lucy episodes that nobody really talks about on here?

Men Are Messy

Breaking The Lease

The Handcuffs

Ricky Loses His Voice

Never Do Business with Friends

The French Revue

Ricky Loses His Temper

Lucy's Club Dance

Lucy's Mother In Law

The Star Upstairs

Ricky Needs an Agent

Paris at Last

Lucy's Night In Town

Lucy Raises Chickens

All good choices, in my opinion. I do know "Ricky Needs an Agent" has had some discussion in the past, as I believe it's Brock's favorite episode.

"Lucy's Club Dance" is a personal favorite of mine. I don't know why I don't discuss it more often, actually. An absolute blast from start to finish.

• Like 1

All good choices, in my opinion. I do know "Ricky Needs an Agent" has had some discussion in the past, as I believe it's Brock's favorite episode.

"Lucy's Club Dance" is a personal favorite of mine. I don't know why I don't discuss it more often, actually. An absolute blast from start to finish.

The thing about this list -- and with any "best of" or whatever kind of list like this is it's totally subjective, personal preference, etc. etc. -- but I don't agree that *most* of the episodes listed here are indeed "lesser"; as a matter of fact most of them are personal favorites of mine, for one reason or another, but primarily because most of them rely solely on the talents of the four main characters and reflect just how good they were without any outside "assistance" (e.g. Hollywood "big name" guest stars) and /or the frequent big physical pay-off scene at the end; these bests for me are more character-driven and rely mostly on the foibles and personalities of the Fab Four!

I would however quibble and say that "Club Dance" and "French Revue" are for me, what I think of as the "middling middle" episodes; in other words, they're --again, for me personally -- just "so so" (for ILL anyway) -- 3rd season (mostly) episodes that are of course, funny just not "superior" (for lack of a better word) funny like most of the others on this list.

IMHO. ;)

• Like 1

The thing about this list -- and with any "best of" or whatever kind of list like this is it's totally subjective, personal preference, etc. etc. -- but I don't agree that *most* of the episodes listed here are indeed "lesser"; as a matter of fact most of them are personal favorites of mine, for one reason or another, but primarily because most of them rely solely on the talents of the four main characters and reflect just how good they were without any outside "assistance" (e.g. Hollywood "big name" guest stars) and /or the frequent big physical pay-off scene at the end; these bests for me are more character-driven and rely mostly on the foibles and personalities of the Fab Four!

I would however quibble and say that "Club Dance" and "French Revue" are for me, what I think of as the "middling middle" episodes; in other words, they're --again, for me personally -- just "so so" (for ILL anyway) -- 3rd season (mostly) episodes that are of course, funny just not "superior" (for lack of a better word) funny like most of the others on this list.

IMHO. ;)

I don't think Cheddar meant to say that he considered these episodes to be of "lesser" quality, but rather that they're among "lesser" mentioned episodes. They're not talked about as much on here or elsewhere as others.

• Like 1

Let's throw this in just for the 'haliut':  wonder if there is ANY episode universally disliked by fans.....ANYONE?  JK :fabrary:

See below! I think Shelly and Brian both pretty much nailed it! Thankfully...it's a pretty short list. :HALKING:

"Drafted" and "Lucy Goes to a Rodeo" seem to rank pretty low among loungers...and most fans in general.

And rightfully so, wouldn't you say? Personally I'd probably add "Nursery School", "Ragtime Band" and "Lucy Cries Wolf" to this relatively short list. :blink:

Of the many "lists" and whatnot we've done on the Lounge for fun, have we (probably, but I simply don't recall) ever compiled a list of our LEAST favorite 5 or 10 episodes?? That me fun, if not enlightening!!  I'm willing to give it a go! :viv2:

Well by shear hatred Drafted gets talked about a lot. For lesser known terrible it has to be Rodeo.

Agreed! :lucythrill:

• Like 1

Interesting to hear different opinions like this. I can't call it a favorite, but I've always liked Nursery School. I've always found the ending very touching. I liked how Lucy was portrayed as inept at many things, but being a mother was never one of them. That was the one area where it was acceptable for Ricky to be less proficient than Lucy.

I enjoy Ragtime Band, too, primarily for the scene where they each talk to Ricky in turn, portraying themselves as good and the others as bad. That always cracks me up.

One of the the most overlooked (and rightly so) episodes is The Adagio. It's so forgettable I can't even recall the plot.

• Like 1

I more willing to forgive "Drafted" than "Rodeo" because it was a first-season show.  By season five, there was excuse for a stinker like "Rodeo."

Yes, that's why I've never hated "Drafted" the way so many others have. It's pure season 1 silliness and I'm willing to give it a chance because the show was still finding its way.

• Like 1

The Adagio was when Lucy wanted to take Apache dancing lessons to be in Ricky's new show and she hired Jean VelJean Raymond (ohhn?!) to teach her, and he wanted to elope with Lucy and Ricky got wind of it and JVR challenged him to a duel behind Radio City Music Hall. And Lucy has a very epic spider voice in that one. Best part is when she tries to demonstrate in front of Ricky that she knows how to do it and pretends that her invisible partner touches her inappropriately and she goes "ooh, ah ah ah!!!" Haven't seen it in years but I remember it. Forgot how it ended. 

What about Little Ricky Gets a Dog? That puppy is so cute when Lucy tries to call Lillian and the puppy starts licking her face and her heart melts. And when Ricky tries to talk to his son. It may have been scared of all the people in the audience. Then later on Lucy hides the dog in the piano when the uptight tenant pays a visit. "AROOOOOO I'M TAKING SINGING LESSONS AROOOOOOO!" But only a few episodes later, it's a completely different dog. 

I know A Big Hunk Of America/A Little Bit of Cuba is referenced on here (The Diner) but I get a kick out of when Ethel sarcastically tells Lucy how to cook a hamburger. "And when your face gets redder than the meat it's DONE!" And Fred "Walk a cow past the grill and don't cry over it!" 

I wonder whats with all the Ricardos Dedicate a Statue hate? I'm not a fan of that one either but the very end made me laugh out loud when Lucy tries to pretend to be the statue and then Fred the Dog comes up and starts licking her face and Ricky does a bug eyed double take because the "statue" has come alive.  :D  :D

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I've seen the two matchmaker episodes talked about that often. Given the title similarities, I tend to forget which is which. I recently viewed both and enjoyed them immensely, but the season 4 installment is one I always forget the plot for until I rewatch it. The season 2 one with Hal March is easier to remember off-hand.

"The Ricardos Dedicate a Statue" is a middling episode. I suppose people are disappointed because the half-hour version of the show didn't end on a higher note.

I seem to recall one of the Bobs saying that "Statue" wasn't intended to be the final episode aired, it just worked out that way. He was embarrassed by that because he considered it one of their lesser efforts. I wonder which one was intended to be the last shown instead.