So excited to find this...!

Is that signature Shelley Winters or Judy Holladay?

I was so excited to stumble across this last week, but didn't want to jinx anything by posting until it arrived. Anyway, as of tonight, I'm happy to provide this nifty little piece of Gale Gordon/Eve Arden/Our Miss Brooks history a loving new home:

s2ts3p.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

You can't achieve the level of success Eve did without ruffling some feathers (so there are probably some disgruntled co-workers out there) but I've never heard or read one snarky thing about Eve Arden.  

My impression of her after reading "3 Phases" is that she is probably the most grounded level-headed actress of note I've ever read about.  She never reached the A+ status like Lucy, Bette Davis or Katharine Hepburn but she seemed content with that.  She does talk about her career highs but much of the book is devoted to her real passion: travel.  Which frankly makes the book a little dull. When I read a show biz auto-biography, I want to read about the BIZ not about her love of some small town in Italy.  She obviously wanted to work, but, especially later in life, it seemed more like a means to an end: making enough money to truly enjoy life.  I was surprised to learn that in the late 70s, she was still up for another series, making the dreadful "Harry and Maggie" pilot with Don Knotts that didn't sell.   It aired in one of those summer-replacement unsold-pilots 'series'. 

You can't achieve the level of success Eve did without ruffling some feathers (so there are probably some disgruntled co-workers out there) but I've never heard or read one snarky thing about Eve Arden.  

My impression of her after reading "3 Phases" is that she is probably the most grounded level-headed actress of note I've ever read about.  She never reached the A+ status like Lucy, Bette Davis or Katharine Hepburn but she seemed content with that.  She does talk about her career highs but much of the book is devoted to her real passion: travel.  Which frankly makes the book a little dull. When I read a show biz auto-biography, I want to read about the BIZ not about her love of some small town in Italy.  She obviously wanted to work, but, especially later in life, it seemed more like a means to an end: making enough money to truly enjoy life.  I was surprised to learn that in the late 70s, she was still up for another series, making the dreadful "Harry and Maggie" pilot with Don Knotts that didn't sell.   It aired in one of those summer-replacement unsold-pilots 'series'. 

In theory, Harry and Maggie sounds hilarious. Goofy Don Knotts mixed with bone-dry sarcastic Eve ​should be comedic perfection. Plus Tom Poston and Lucille Benson were in the cast. I suppose for the pilot to not even sell, it must have been pretty terrible. Oh well.