Happy 95th Birthday, Doris Day!

Brock

If they had produced all the good shows from season 6 and replaced the duds in season 5 with those, that would have made a pretty great HL send-off.   I don't know why but it's neat/cool/keen that each of Lucy's series ran the exact same # of seasons. 

I did not know YMO CLOBBERED HL with Joan Rivers.    I agree that season 6 got off to a really rocky start, with the weakest of all 6 season openers, but the latter half made up for it.   (My personal favorite season premiere "Big Break" over "Burtons"). 

Yours, Mine & Ours which competed against the classic Lucy and Joan Do Jury Duty and that episode got destroyed in the ratings.  Even though it was agreed mutually by Lucy and CBS to end the show it was sad to see Lucy down to 29th place.  It was a respectable rating of 20.0 with a 31% share of audience but way below past seasons.  The comedy landscape at CBS was changing with All in the Family, Good Times, Maude, Mary Tyler Moore and MASH and I don't think CBS wanted Here's Lucy for a seventh season.  

I will always be Lucy's biggest fan and have seen every episode of all her series.   She is an icon and her comedy will live forever.

Okay, I believe the part about the heated discussion on The Mothers-in-Law, but Denny's???  I guess there was no place else to eat.  Was this by the hotel in L.A. with Eve?

I think it was Denny's by the hotel with Eve. Whatever the restaurant was, I remember some sort of pancake balls were involved.

For you to remember that, I guess I touched a nerve?  :lucyhmm:

No, just left me baffled by this lapse in your otherwise good taste. :lucywow: Plus, the lengthy discussion made us late for our meeting with Closer cover boy Michael Z. Stern.

We were in a Denny's parking lot together?  :unsure:  And fighting?  What was I drinking?  I don't remember that.  

I'm disappointed in you, Jimmy.

I don't know about season 5 of Here's Lucy being the best year of ANY post ILL output but it does have a number of gems.  Granted nothing along the lines of the stellar "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea".....................Little Ricky, I'll meet you at Denny's.

• Like 1

Okay, I believe the part about the heated discussion on The Mothers-in-Law, but Denny's???  I guess there was no place else to eat.  Was this by the hotel in L.A. with Eve?

For you to remember that, I guess I touched a nerve?  :lucyhmm:

I would love to have heard the MIL discussion (and I can guess who's on which side of what fence).   

When people talk about the style of comedy changing in the 70s, which it did, I don't think that means there wasn't room for the "old style" as long as it is done well and clips along with an engaging plot like some of the great I Love Lucy's.  I'm thinking of the Matchmaker episode (the one with Hal March).  There's not a dull moment and like the more of I Love Lucy's than people generally acknowledge, no physical comedy. 

I think it was Denny's by the hotel with Eve. Whatever the restaurant was, I remember some sort of pancake balls were involved.

No, just left me baffled by this lapse in your otherwise good taste. :lucywow: Plus, the lengthy discussion made us late for our meeting with Closer cover boy Michael Z. Stern.

Pancake balls???????  WTF?  I do remember you were going on a studio tour with Michael, but I do not remember -- and I refuse to remember -- any of the rest.  I do have good taste, though.

• Like 1

I don't know about season 5 of Here's Lucy being the best year of ANY post ILL output but it does have a number of gems.  Granted nothing along the lines of the stellar "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea".....................Little Ricky, I'll meet you at Denny's.

Haha!  I'll give you this, Neil:  The tea party scene and the Charleston dance were great, but you can have the rest of that episode.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...