MeTV Fall 2017: The Lucy Show returns but less Lucy overall

Harrison

Another season will soon be upon us and that means that the Classic Television Network; MeTV, will be shaking up it's schedule.

First the bad news ...

- I Love Lucy will be scaled back to only 1 airing per week. The Brady Bunch will be taking over it's 6:30am slot on weekdays (and that program will still retain its Sunday two-hour block).

- Only 1 hour of Lucy per week. Currently, Me-TV is airing Lucy seven times a week or 3 1/2 hours. Amazing how Lucy gets cut drastically while other programs which have had more airplay on the network still manage to escape of getting cut back such as Leave it to Beaver, Perry Mason, The Big Valley, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Rifleman, The Brady Bunch, M*A*S*H, The Andy Griffith Show and Hogan's Heroes. But this should not come as a surprise as their treatment of Lucy in the recent years overall has been less than satisfying.

- It is also worth noting that the Eve Arden comedy; Our Miss Brooks, co-starring our beloved Gale Gordon will be off the line-up. It's replacement is Highway Patrol.

The good news ...

- The Lucy Show returns again; however, it will be just once a week this time around. It will air Sundays at 4:30pm following you guessed it ... I Love Lucy. MeTV might brand this as "The Lucy Hour".

All these changes go into effect on September 4th, 2017.

It's about time they finally decided to pair up I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show. They've had the rights to both of them for years, yet never had them on the schedule at the same time.

As far as I know I Love Lucy has never left MeTV. It's The Lucy Show that has come and gone repeatedly. So yes the network has had these two Lucy sitcoms on the same schedule from time to time but just never paired up until now. We'll see how long this pairing up will last. Hopefully for a long time.

I am still hoping that they will eventually have a weekly Lucy block (ala reminiscent of Nick-at-Nite's "Lucy, Queen of Comedy" block) featuring an episode of each I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show AND The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. They certainly do have room on their Sunday afternoon schedule to fit The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. That would be magical.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Someone posted MeTV's holiday schedule on Sitcomsonline. If you want to get an early dose of Christmas cheer, both TLS Christmas episodes will air on Sunday November 12 from 4pm-5pm. After that both I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show will be pre-empted for the rest of the year as other holiday themed programs are scheduled in their slots.

4 hours ago, rickylu said:

Someone posted MeTV's holiday schedule on Sitcomsonline. If you want to get an early dose of Christmas cheer, both TLS Christmas episodes will air on Sunday November 12 from 4pm-5pm.

I hope it's the S1 TLS Christmas episode, which I love.  I'm not a fan of the S4 Christmas episode.

Has anybody noticed that these Sunday airings of I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show have mostly been classic episodes from of each series?  From TLS, episodes have included "Lucy Is a Kangaroo for a Day," "Lucy and the Good Skate," "Lucy Plays Florence Nightingale," and "Lucy Puts Up a TV Antenna" (next week).  From I Love Lucy, episodes have included "Lucy and John Wayne," L.A at Last!," "Ethel's Birthday," and "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" (next week).

I noticed that they're playing some of the more well known episodes too. Good idea especially since this could be some people's first exposure to TLS. Yesterday they played "Lucy Gets a Roommate", the 1st California era episode they've shown. Back to season one next week with "Vivian Sues Lucy". Despite having the series uncut on dvd, it's still nice to watch it on broadcast tv.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was alarmed to return from my holidays yesterday to find our classic comedy station, Comedy Gold, has taken off I Love Lucy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Odd Couple, etc., and replaced the entire lineup with stand-up comedy and, for reasons which are unclear, Everybody Hates Chris. This will bring in those ratings for sure. :vanda:

22 hours ago, Brock said:

I was alarmed to return from my holidays yesterday to find our classic comedy station, Comedy Gold, has taken off I Love Lucy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Odd Couple, etc., and replaced the entire lineup with stand-up comedy and, for reasons which are unclear, Everybody Hates Chris. This will bring in those ratings for sure. :vanda:

I never took the time to watch Everybody Hates Chris, but I'm a fan of Chris Rock, and Wikipedia states this:  Everybody Hates Chris received critical acclaim. The American Film Institute selected Everybody Hates Chris as one of the best 10 television series of 2007, stating that the show "provides a very real look at growing up in America – a challenge that demands a discussion of race and class often absent from television today."[6] Everybody Hates Chris was named one of the Best School Shows of All Time by AOL TV.[7] Common Sense Media's Marjorie Kase and Shanel Walker & Emily Kofoed gave the show 4 stars, and said it was "a prime example of how to take serious issues and approach them in a humorous yet thought-provoking way. The series is innovative, funny, and stereotype-defying – enjoyable for teens and their parents."