What episodes are you watching on "The Lucy Show"?

I’ve currently seen the first 13 episodes of season 3, the first time in more than a decade I’ve watched many of these. Here are some thoughts:

• Even though the Volunteer Fire Dept. was done away with along with all of Lucy and Viv’s girlfriends, it’s nice a few of these new writers did at least attempt to provide some continuity, what with numerous references to Audrey Simmons and Ralph Bagley. As well, Viv mentioning the TV antenna they installed was a nice reference back to season one. It’s odd that given how often Audrey is mentioned, this is the only post-1962 “Lucy” season not to feature Mary Jane Croft in any episodes. Maybe she was busy with other projects?
  • I like how Viv is well-incorporated into most of the episodes that feature her, at least during the first half of this year. One issue with season 2 is that too many episodes treated her as background while making way for Mr. Mooney, while here both characters were more equally regarded. It’s also nice to see less of Bagley’s bitchy side and more of her fun, playful nature. The episodes where she does get to do snark tend to justify it better. 
  • Jimmy Garrett must’ve been the most remembered of the child actors by these writers, as you see a lot more of him than Chris and Sherman. Sherman essentially vanishes this season, for whatever reason. Even when he does turn up, he never has much to say or do. This makes Ralph’s deepening voice all the more noticeable, given the infrequency of his appearances. Also, they seem to have been much more heavy-handed with Candy Moore’s makeup this year. Ether she got tanned during her summer hiatus or they went with a darker shade of foundation, but a few times she appears to rival Tammy Faye Bakker what with the overdone blush and eye shadow. At least she finally snagged a laugh line in the bank robbery episode (“I’m not here, either!”).
  • A recurring theme I’ve just noticed this season is the tendency to give Gale Gordon humorous exits. Rarely does he leave a room without doing some great reaction bit, which the studio audience clearly loved as he always received exit applause. In “Lucy Gets the Bird,” he received three of them.
  • I’m sorry “Lucy Gets Her Maid” marked Kathleen Freeman’s final appearance, as she was always excellent. Could’ve made a great addition to many later episodes, no matter the character. 
  • Like 1

Some more thoughts (and a few questions):

• What was up with that bizarre purple convertible Lucy and Viv took on their stakeout? And where did they get such a vehicle?
  • Did the Vegas episode mark the first appearance of the pink dress and jacket she later wore in Lucy in London?
  • Coin Collector may be a little on the slow side, but considering how manic so many episodes could be, one that took its time isn’t unwelcome in my book. I also love what a great showcase it is for Vivian; she appears in every single scene and gets some truly funny moments (picking up and cleaning the pennies one at a time, etc.).
  • Missing Stamp is a well-made show with some great physical comedy, but illustrates the problems with not having a permanent writing staff. Lucy suddenly went from being an overconfident, power-hungry policewoman to a blubbering, inept saleslady. The Lucy Carmichael as written just a few episodes prior would’ve been a stellar salesperson. And Viv’s back to her haughty bore schtick in this one, a characterisation I never found appealing.
  • Danny Kaye is a headache inducer. That restaurant scene is like the Brown Derby one on crack! I want to like it, because their routine at the end is good, but it’s just too obnoxious. However, that World’s Fair ensemble is stunning to behold. I’m guessing the kids filmed scenes for this one that wound up cut; Candy Moore talked about being on-set that week.
  • The ever-changing bedroom sets seem to come full-circle this season. Lucy’s bedroom in Monsters looks just like Viv’s did all the way back in the first episode.
  • I think there should’ve been at least one more episode detailing the consequences of having a fully visible shower installed in a boys bedroom. Maybe a “Very Special Episode“ where Sherman gets in trouble peeping at Chris and learns a lesson about privacy? Or one where Mooney inadvertently keep walking in on Lucy and/or Viv towelling off. Had this not been the 60s, there would’ve been many plots opened up by that.
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:27 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

• Did the Vegas episode mark the first appearance of the pink dress and jacket she later wore in Lucy in London?

That is its first on camera appearance. Lucy previously wore it to the Ethel Merman-Ernest Borgnine wedding. If that outfit could talk! 

Danny Kaye is a headache inducer. That restaurant scene is like the Brown Derby one on crack! I want to like it, because their routine at the end is good, but it’s just too obnoxious. However, that World’s Fair ensemble is stunning to behold. I’m guessing the kids filmed scenes for this one that wound up cut; Candy Moore talked about being on-set that week.

Chris and Jerry were originally featured at the beginning before Mooney showed up, but were cut from the episode. 

image.png

I think there should’ve been at least one more episode detailing the consequences of having a fully visible shower installed in a boys bedroom. Maybe a “Very Special Episode“ where Sherman gets in trouble peeping at Chris and learns a lesson about privacy? Or one where Mooney inadvertently keep walking in on Lucy and/or Viv towelling off. Had this not been the 60s, there would’ve been many plots opened up by that.

:lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

That is its first on camera appearance. Lucy previously wore it to the Ethel Merman-Ernest Borgnine wedding. If that outfit could talk! 

Chris and Jerry were originally featured at the beginning before Mooney showed up, but were cut from the episode. 

image.png

Ah, thanks for confirming that! It’s a pity there wasn’t time for that scene to be used, given the infrequency of the kids’ appearances that season.

And if that outfit could talk, indeed!

On 4/29/2021 at 4:18 PM, HarryCarter said:

image.png

:lol:

Makes me wonder if Jimmy ever watches these now (they are streaming somewhere, just can't remember where at the moment!) and wonders, "Hey where the hell am I?? I was there when we shot this!!!" :HALKING:

On 4/25/2021 at 2:07 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

I’ve currently seen the first 13 episodes of season 3, the first time in more than a decade I’ve watched many of these. Here are some thoughts:

• Even though the Volunteer Fire Dept. was done away with along with all of Lucy and Viv’s girlfriends, it’s nice a few of these new writers did at least attempt to provide some continuity, what with numerous references to Audrey Simmons and Ralph Bagley. As well, Viv mentioning the TV antenna they installed was a nice reference back to season one. It’s odd that given how often Audrey is mentioned, this is the only post-1962 “Lucy” season not to feature Mary Jane Croft in any episodes. Maybe she was busy with other projects?
  • I like how Viv is well-incorporated into most of the episodes that feature her, at least during the first half of this year. One issue with season 2 is that too many episodes treated her as background while making way for Mr. Mooney, while here both characters were more equally regarded. It’s also nice to see less of Bagley’s bitchy side and more of her fun, playful nature. The episodes where she does get to do snark tend to justify it better. 
  • Jimmy Garrett must’ve been the most remembered of the child actors by these writers, as you see a lot more of him than Chris and Sherman. Sherman essentially vanishes this season, for whatever reason. Even when he does turn up, he never has much to say or do. This makes Ralph’s deepening voice all the more noticeable, given the infrequency of his appearances. Also, they seem to have been much more heavy-handed with Candy Moore’s makeup this year. Ether she got tanned during her summer hiatus or they went with a darker shade of foundation, but a few times she appears to rival Tammy Faye Bakker what with the overdone blush and eye shadow. At least she finally snagged a laugh line in the bank robbery episode (“I’m not here, either!”).
  • A recurring theme I’ve just noticed this season is the tendency to give Gale Gordon humorous exits. Rarely does he leave a room without doing some great reaction bit, which the studio audience clearly loved as he always received exit applause. In “Lucy Gets the Bird,” he received three of them.
  • I’m sorry “Lucy Gets Her Maid” marked Kathleen Freeman’s final appearance, as she was always excellent. Could’ve made a great addition to many later episodes, no matter the character. 

Love your season 3 observations.  Before I thought of the fact that there were writers, I remember when I first saw these that something was missing from the previous shows.  Maybe it was Bob and Madelyn's way with words?  To me, the show just wasn't as funny.   Even though it's Viv-less, I like "Lucy Becomes a Father".  Her getting stuck in a mummy bag is B&M schtick-worthy.  Yes, the poker game is similar to "Be a Pal" but I don't remember any specific bits repeated.  Lucy once said on a talk show "I was bitten by a bear once" and it must have been this one.  A real live bear was used except for the very last scene.   My main season 3 complaint is the complete eradication of the various supporting semi-regular players, even though as you say, they were at least mentioned. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I recently subscribed to Hulu and have been watching 2nd and 3rd season episodes lately.  They look amazing, like true HD transfers.  They are a decade older than "The Bob Newhart Show" and the transfers blow Bob away.

I still enjoy "Lucy Enters a Baking Contest."  Too bad that show  led to departure of Bob & Madelyn.  Break-ups are not usually over one thing, but I suppose the disagreement over this episode was the proverbial straw on the camel's back.

• Like 2

Love your season 3 observations.  Before I thought of the fact that there were writers, I remember when I first saw these that something was missing from the previous shows.  Maybe it was Bob and Madelyn's way with words?  To me, the show just wasn't as funny.

This is how I feel too. It's interesting that Gary Morton is quoted in the Desilu book as saying that Bob and Madelyn "didn't do much" during the first two seasons of The Lucy Show, and that Schiller and Weiskopf were really doing most of the writing and plotting. 

I think the third season shows that Bob and Madelyn played a big role in terms of the overall tone of the show. While the Schiller/Weiskopf episodes in Season 3 (i.e. "Lucy's Contact Lenses" and "Lucy And The Bank Robbery") are good, the dialogue just doesn't seem to flow as well as it did in the scripts they did with Bob and Madelyn. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a lot of problems with season 3, which I've (no doubt) already aired ad naseum.   In general, people don't like season 2 as much as I do. IMO, season 2 is much more solid than season 1, many weak episodes towards the end of the season.  Because of the lack of Desi's input?  Maybe.  As far as I can figure, his work ended with "Install a Shower".  (I could be wrong).   My rankings of favorite Lucy Show seasons are as follows:  2,1,4,5,3,6.  Season 4: True, TLS went sort of wild ("Wingding", Ironman Carmichael) and had a lot of duffers ("Rain Goddess" being one of many).   But overall, I like it better than season 3.  I might go with season 5 and season 3 as a tie for 2nd to last place.  I'm not much interested in season 5 after "Substitute Secretary" (Margo the Decorator was sheer genius.  Had we ever seen this characterization before?  Not that I know of).   Season 3: I love Arthur Godfrey (and I usually dislike shows-within-show), "Becomes a Father", "Good Skate"--and more for marveling at Lucy's agility than the comedy written on the page--and the Countess episodes.  Other than that: MEH!  I never watch season 6 and cannot think of a stellar episode.  People like 'Meets the Berles" and so I do I, to a certain extent, but not as much as others do.   

• Like 2