Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Chronology - Week 4 - April

leenorman

April 23

Iva Shepard, supporting cast member, (“I Love Lucy”) 2 episodes, 1955, is born this date in 1886.

Harvey Parry, co-star, Lucille Ball early film-career, 1937; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1943; guest, Desilu Productions', Sheriff of Cochise, 1957; guest, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Yancy Derringer, 2 episodes, 1958; co-star,Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1965; Lucille's guest, The Lucy Show, 1966, 1967; Desilu Productions', Mannix 1967, is born this date in 1900.

Janet Blair, appears with William Frawley and Vivian Vance, (Lucy's The Mertzes), The Buick-Berle Show, 1954; guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1960, and You Don't Say, 1964; appears with Desi Arnaz, IV, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, with an all-star guest cast, 1972; is born this date in 1921.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Liz Appears on Television,” episode #85, with veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson, the basis for (“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy & Ethel Buy the Same Dress” – airing this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball appears in Life Magazine this date in 1951.

CBS’ circulation document for sponsorship of (“I Love Lucy”), put fear in some that another agency might suddenly grab the Arnaz’ TV package, and Biow/Philip Morris said ‘yes’ to sponsorship, this date in 1951.

TV Guide cover: Lucille Ball - “How TV Changed Lucille Ball,” this week in 1954.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy’s Bicycle Trip”- a segment of the European series, where Lucy wants the two couples to bike from Italy to the French Riviera; then, misplaces her passport, airing this date in 1956.

Desi Arnaz performed on the 26th Annual Tony Awards, on this date in 1972.

James Flavin, b. 5/14; Lucille Ball early-career co-star, 1934, 1945; 1946; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; (“I Love Lucy”) supporting cast member, 1956; an appearance in Lucille Ball film, 1963; Desilu Productions’, Ernestine, 1962, and The Comedy Spot, 1962; as well as Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Jack Benny Program, 1962, dies this date in 1976.

Lucie Arnaz, as Jane Lucas, stars in CBS', The Lucie Arnaz Show,“Good Sports”, guest star, Danny Aiello, co-starring Lee Bryant, as Jill; Karen Jablons-Alexander, as Loretta; Tony Roberts, as Jim Gordon; as well as Todd Waring, as Larry Love; each appearing in 6 episodes, airs this date in 1985.

Marc Daniels, b. 1/27; Director, first season, (“I Love Lucy”); director, Desilu Productions’, Slattery’s People, 1965, director, Star Trek, 1966-1968; guest actor, Star Trek, 1967, writer, one episode, 1973, director, Mission: Impossible, 1966, 1967; directed Lucille Ball, Lucy Calls the President, 1977, director again, Life With Lucy, 1986, dies 3 days before Lucille, this date in 1989.

Paulette Goddard, b. 6/3; Lucille Ball friend, and early film-career co-star, 1933, 1934, dies this date in 1990.

Howard Cosell, b. 3/25; appears with Lucille Ball, Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast: Danny Thomas, 1976, as well as with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982, dies this date in 1995.

The Lucille Ball mailing list appears on “onelist” this date in 1998.

The Post-Journal – “Tom Watson Tribute to be Held in Jamestown” – “Tom Watson, long-time Lucille Ball ‘We Love Lucy Fan Club’ President, and Lucille Ball friend and publicist in her later life, as well as author of several Lucille Ball publications and books, will be honored at the Memorial Day Weekend Fan Reunion and Picnic, May 25,” published this date in 2008.

The Lucy Lounge Website: courtesy of JoeySoCal: “S.T.A.G.E. (LA) is the longest continuously-running theater music event benefiting AIDS charities. Lucille Ball, as mentor and friend to Carole Cook, many-time guest headliner, with husband, Tom Troupe, (Lucille, Matron-of-Honor at Carole and Tom's marriage ceremony), at the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum yearly festivals, since its separation from the Arts Council of Chautauqua County, in 2002, will appear in 'Original Cast' May 1, at The Luckman Performing Arts Center, LA, California, This will be Carole's 25th appearance on S.T.A.G.E. Ms. Cook created the role of Maggie Jones in NY, LA and Tokyo companies of 42nd Street, as well as Blanche Daly in Romantic Comedy. Last fall she starred in NY in 70, Girls, 70 for Encores! Carole is the second actor in the world to play Hello, Dolly!, starring in Australia and New Zealand and the only actress to play the lead in major productions of both Auntie Mame and Mame; as well as co-starring in LA, on tour, and in Australia, in Father’s Day, appeared opposite Julie Harris in the revival of Ladies in Retirement, starred in Follies for Reprise! and, as Dolly, once again, in Alabama and in Oklahoma. Carole won best actress awards for The Supporting Cast, Patio/Porch and The Lion in Winter – co-starring with husband, Tom Troupe, at the Pasadena Playhouse and at the CeDallas Theatre Center. In the summer of 2006, Carole and Tom starred together in The Gin Game, in North Carolina. As Ouiser, in the tour of Steel Magnolias, Carole received the Helen Hayes Award. Carole’s starring musical roles include Stop the World – I Want to Get Off, Annie Get Your Gun, Kismet, Anything Goes, Call Me Madam, Pal Joey, and, in NY, Radio Gals. She has toured extensively in her acclaimed one woman show, Dress Up. She has received eight best actress Drama-Logue and Robby Awards. Carole's films include: The Incredible Mr. Limpet, Palm Springs Weekend, American Gigolo, Sixteen Candles, Grandview USA, Summer Lovers and Home on the Range, an animated film, in which she voiced Pearl. Carole has decades of television credits – most recently guest starring on Grey’s Anatomy. Awards include the Distinguished Alumni Award from Baylor University; the S.T.A.G.E. Producers Award and the Hero in the Fight Against AIDS Award from the Richmond/Ermet AIDS Foundation, as well as eight Drama-Logue and Robby Awards. Carole and Tom received the 2002 Theatre Ovation Award for Lifetime Career Achievement – the first husband and wife 'team' ever to be so honored. [Research note: Carole and Tom were veteran supporting cast members, in numerous Desilu Productions', and Desilu Studios'-filmed projects throughout the 'glory-years' of Lucille and Desi's careers]”, posted this date in 2010.

April 24

Larry J. Blake, uncredited co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1951; guest, Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America, 2 episodes, 1956, December Bride, 1958; Desilu Studios'-filmed, Yancy Derringer, 11 episodes, 1958-59, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, 1956, 2 episodes, 1958; Desilu Productions', Harrigan and Son, 1961; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Bill Dana Show, 1963; Desilu Productions', Mission: Impossible, 1967; as well as Lucille Ball guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1966, and (“Here's Lucy”) 6 episodes, 1969-1974, is born this date in 1914.

John J. 'Red' Fox, Lucille Ball guest star, The Lucy Show, appearing with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz); “My Fair Lucy” 1965, “Lucy and the Ceramic Cat”, also with Vivian, 1965, as well as with Vivian, “Lucy Gets Involved” 1968; Lucille guest star, (“Here's Lucy”) with Lucie and Desi Arnaz IV, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971; with Lucie and Desi IV; “Lucy's Replacement” 1972; with Lucie, “Lucy Fights the System” 1974; as well as with Desi Arnaz IV, The Love Boat “Hollywood Royalty/Caper, The/Eyes of Love, The/Masquerade Parts 1 and 2 1978, is born this date in 1924.

R. G. Brown, guest cast member, (“Here's Lucy”), 2 episodes, 1972, is born this date in 1933.

Shirley MacLaine, guest, Desilu Productions’, Here’s Hollywood, 1961; guest, Shower of Stars, 1954, 1955, 1956; with Lucille, co-star, CBS’ Gypsy in My Soul, 1976; with Lucille, The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; with Lucille, archivally, “That’s Dancing”, 1985; as well as with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), archivally, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995, in born this date in 1934.

Michael Parks, guest, Desilu Productions, Shower of Stars, 1954, The Untouchables, 1961, as well as The Greatest Show on Earth, 1963, is born this date in 1940.

Audience Research Institute, an RKO-Radio-sponsored opinion poll – “Although Lucille Ball is known to Hollywood and exhibitors, she needs more pictures and build-up before the public is aware of her,” (this, in spite of the fact that Lucille was making $3500/week; she was yet to become a ‘household’ name and face),” published this date in 1941.

Barbra Streisand, Lucille Ball's guest, Let’s Talk to Lucy, one of the nearly 200, 15-minute Radio programs Lucille hosted between 1964 and 1965; (Research note:…..as posted by 'Harry Carter' on The Lucy Lounge Forum, November 16, 2008); with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979, with Lucille, Women I Love: Beautiful But Funny, 1982; with Lucille and Desi, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, Barbara Walters: 20 Years @ ABC, 1996; is born this date in 1942.

Desi Arnaz stars, as Felix Ramirez, in Loew’s/MGM film, Bataan, with Lee Bowman, George Murphy, Barry Nelson, Lloyd Nolan, Robert Taylor, Phillip Terry, many big-name movie stars of the era, released this date in 1944.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] Trade papers report: “CBS announces that Philip Morris has bought (“I Love Lucy”) contract to originate live from Hollywood, Monday nights, beginning October 1, the Arnazes owning 100% of the show,” this date in 1951.

[‘Research’ Note: This note appears with several dates of importance in prelude to “I Love Lucy” which made history and will perpetuate.] Variety: “Harry Ackerman, CBS’ program head assigns Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh (Davis) and Bob Carroll, Jr., to write scripts, the same trio which performed the writing duties on Lucille Ball’s CBS Radio’s My Favorite Husband. Director has not yet been chosen,” this date in 1951.

Lucille Ball, 7 months pregnant with Lucie Arnaz, was given the sponsorship news by Agent Don Sharpe, at their Chatsworth Ranch home, the stumbling block would be weekly shows instead of the planned bi-weekly shows, and her comment was: “Desi and I want to work together more than anything in the world. If he’s willing to give up traveling with his Band, I’m willing to give up my film work,” in 1951.

Vivian Vance and William Frawley (Lucy's The Mertzes) appear on the cover of TV Radio Life, “What Lucy Got Them Into”, (Research Note: information provided by 'bweir' the Lucy Lounge Blog), published for the period 4/24-30, this date in 1954.

CBS’ Sunday Lucy Show: 30 minutes black & white: This is a collection of (“I Love Lucy”) programs, [beginning April 3 until October 30] - with “The Ballet” (episode #19). Because so many home viewers requested to see the early episodes, as they did not have television sets when they originally aired, CBS and the Arnazes re-ran these shows in the late afternoon on Sundays, this date in 1955.

Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) is granted a divorce from Phil Ober this date in 1959.

Lucille Ball appears in United Artists’ and Desilu Productions’, Yours, Mine, and Ours, adapted from story of Helen Eileen Beardsley, “Who Gets The Drumsticks”, directed by Mel Shavelson; assistant director, uncredited, Louis Nicoletti; written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., Mel Shavelson, and Mort Lachman, co-starring Henry Fonda, Van Johnson, Tom Bosley, Tim Matheson, among many others, with make-up, Hal King and hair stylist, Irma Kusely, is released this date in 1968.

Bud Abbott, b. 10/2; of Abbott & Costello comedy fame, Lucille Ball early radio career co-star, 1945; guest, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1962; with Lucille, both via archival footage, Legends of Comedy, 1992, Entertaining the Troops 1994; as well as Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, Video Entertainment, 1996, dies this date in 1974.

CBS’ The American Parade: – a documentary series sharing American life and celebrity profiles with home viewers - Lucille Ball appears in and shares personal reminiscences with her co-stars, as well as a heart-felt tribute to the late Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), this date in 1984.

[Research note: See notice of Ray’s death and biographical data February 27.] The Post-Journal, Community Journal – by Sharon Turano – Salamanca (NY) - “Ray Evans’ Memorial Slated for Sunday” – “The Cattaraugus County Living Arts Association hosts a memorial to, Ray Evans, (generous contributor to the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center) Academy-Award-Winning writer April 29, published this date in 2007.

The Post-Journal – Information Center - In Years Past – 50 Years Ago: “In 1961, Lucille Ball, who collapsed on-stage during the Saturday night performance of the hit Broadway musical, Wildcat, said she would be back in the show this night - despite her doctor's wishes. The red-haired 49-year old comedienne, who had an extremely vigorous role, fainted at the beginning of the second act as she was singing 'Tippy-Tippy Toes'. Her doctor said she was suffering from fatigue and the effects of a viral infection. He recommended that she take a long rest,” published this date in 2011.

April 25

Russ Conway, co-stars with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1949, 1951; guest star, Desilu Productions' Official Detective (unknown year); The Lineup, 1957, 1958; U.S. Marshal, 1958; The Californians, 1959; Alcatraz Express 1960; The Untouchables, 3 episodes, 1961; Kraft Mystery Theater, 1962; as well as Mission: Impossible, 1968, is born this date in 1913.

Ella Fitzgerald, appears with Lucille Ball, Toast of the Town, 1963; long-time friend of Lucille Ball, appearing many times together, most notably, Dinah: “The First Ladies” 1977, and co-guest hosting, with Lucille and Dinah Shore, The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson 1992; is born this date in 1918.

Lucille Ball appears on Mon Copain [France] Magazine cover this date in 1937.

Lucille Ball appears in The Smiths of Hollywood “The Burglar,” this date in 1947.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Ricky Thinks He’s Getting Bald,” an episode wherein Lucy tries to prevent Ricky’s ‘hair loss,’ which is filmed this date in 1952.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy is a Matchmaker,” an episode guest co-starring Hal March, with veteran supporting cast members, the Simmons Twins, as Little Ricky, and Doris Singleton, wherein Lucy tries to marry off a bridge partner who has been flirting with ‘husbands’, which is filmed this date in 1953.

(“I Love Lucy”) “In Palm Springs” - Lucy and Ethel go to Palm Springs for a week, become lonely when it rains; and when it stops raining, meet guest co-star, Rock Hudson, at the poolside; supporting cast member, Kathryn Card also appears, airing this date in 1955.

Ladies’ Home Journal, Thomas Thompson: “Lucy – Having a Ball at 62,” published in 1974.

Saturday Evening Post, Audrey Hingley: “Life With Lucie,” published in March/April edition in 1994.

Ginger Rogers, b. 7/16; daughter of Lela Rogers, Lucille Ball’s early-career training mentor; Lucille’s friend of many years, acting classmate, as well as co-star, 1935; with William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1935; with Lucille in films: 1936, 1937, 1938; with Frawley, 1942; appearance with Lucille, 1943; with Desi Arnaz on Bob Hope TV, 1956; guest star, Desilu Studios'-filmed, Vacation Playhouse, 1963; appears with Lucille, 1965; Lucille guest star, (“Here's Lucy”), 1971 and with Lucille, Dean Martin Roast: Lucille Ball, 1975; with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1975; appearances with Lucille: 1980, 1982, 1984, archivally, 1985, 1986, 1987; 1994, 1999, and 2005, dies this date in 1995.

Art Fleming, 5/1, game show host, Jeopardy, appears in Desilu Productions', The Ann Sothern Show, 1959; and The Californians, 32 episodes, 1958-59; dies this date in 1995.

Palm Spring Life, B. W. Cook: “William Asher – The Man Who Invented the Sitcom,” published in 2001.

Desi Arnaz IV, stars in 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment Documentaries, A Wedding: Altman Style, and Perspective on Altman’s ‘Perfect Couple’ on this date in 2006.

The Post-Journal – Information Center – In Years Past – 100 years ago - [Research note: Just four short years prior to Lucille Ball’s birth year, in her beloved Celoron Park]: “A.N. Broadhead, this day in 1907, returned from NYC and announced the Victor Venetian Band had been engaged to appear at the opening of the Celoron Theater, its first Season, on May 26”, published this date in 2007.

The Post-Journal Jamestown NY – “Melody Thomas Scott Plans Visit to City: - “’Nikki Newman’ of Y&R, popular TV Soap and Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum Board of Director’s last original member, is to spend Memorial Day Weekend in Jamestown NY, as part of the upcoming Lucy-Desi Days Festival, starring in three events,” published this date in 2008.

Trendsetter Magazine online: - “Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were enlisted to many products once (“I Love Lucy”) became a smash hit. Lucy, singly, was also sought-after as spokesperson for other products during her movie and TV careers. Lucy has been enlisted, in 2008, to make a pitch for Armstrong vinyl floors. ‘In order to promote their realistic-looking laminate floors, Armstrong has come up with this witty - 'It only looks like the real thing campaign’. The campaign utilizes photography and art direction for a realistic portrayal of dead icons in new images - Lucy appears in an authentic pose and outfit via a 'look-alike' approved by Desilu Too, and Armstrong laminate floors,” posted this date in 2008.

Bea Arthur, b. 5/13, of Maude and Golden Girls fame; Lucille Ball’s early film-career friend; co-star, Mame, 1974, and as Lucille, in 1984, was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame; appears with Lucille, Bea, Presenter The 33rd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, 1981; with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; appears, as a presenter, with Lucille, NBC’s The First Academy of TV Arts and Sciences Television Hall of Fame, 1984; with Lucille, archivally, The 41st Annual Primtime Emmy Awards, 1989; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, dies this date in 2009.

Dorothy Provine, 1/20, guest, Desilu Productions', The Texan, 1959; as well as appears with Lucille Ball, Bob Hope's Overseas Christmas Tours: Around the World with the Troops - 1941-1972, 1980; dies this date in 2010.

April 26

Stafford Repp, guest, Desilu Productions’, Cavalcade of America, 1956; Official Detective, 1957; Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Real McCoys, 2 episodes, 1957-1959; Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, 1958; December Bride, 1959; The Californians, 1959; The Untouchables, 1959; The Texan, 1960; Guestward Ho! 1960; Lucille Ball's guest co-star, The Lucy Show, 1963, 1964; Desi Arnaz Productions', The Mothers-In-Law, 1967, 1968; as well as Lucille's guest, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1970, is born this date in 1918.

Carol Burnett, Lucille Ball thirty-year-plus friend: [Research note: Carol Burnett receives flowers from Lucille Ball on her birthday, as she has for years on that day, even on the day Lucille dies]; Lucille's guest co-star, Carol + 2, 1966; The Lucy Show 2 episodes, 1966, 2 episodes, 1967; (“Here’s Lucy”), 1969, and The David Frost Show, 1970; with Lucille, 4th Super Comedy Bowl 1; again, The David Frost Show, and (“Here’s Lucy”), 1971; appears, among many others, Thalians' Tribute, honoring Lucille, as the first “Mrs. Wonderful”, 1974; with Lucille, CBS Salutes Lucy: The First 25 Years, 1976; with Lucille, NBC: The Big Event: TV Guide, The First 25 Years, 1979, Lucille, co-host, Part 2, All-Star Party for Carol Burnett, 1982; with Lucille, 4th Annual TV Guide Special, 1983; with Lucille, The First Academy Television Hall of Fame, 1984; with Lucille and Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars II, 1985; with Lucie and Lucille, Happy 100th Birthday, Hollywood, 1987; Host, for Lucille-segment ‘salute’, Lucille, via archival footage, Funny Women of Television, 1991; with Lucille, via archival footage, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992, The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion, 1993, Carol Burnett: The Special Years, 1994; on Ed Sullivan All-Star Comedy Special, archival footage of Lucille and Desi Arnaz, 1995; with Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; with Lucille, via archival footage, CBS: The First 50 Years, 1998, CBS at 75, 2003; guest, American Masters: “Finding Lucy”, 2000; co-star, The Desilu Story, 2003; with Lucille, via archival footage, Cavett Remembers The Comic Legends, 2006; co-stars with Desi Arnaz IV, A Wedding: Altman Style, 2006; with Lucie and Desi IV, and Lucille, via archival footage, presenter of the First ‘Legacy of Laughter’ Award, The 5th Annual TV Land Awards, and with Lucie and Desi, IV, Entertainment Tonight, 2007; as well as with Lucille, both archivally, TV's 50 Funniest Phrases, 2009, is born this date in 1933.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), stars in Paramount Picture's, The Witching Hour, as Jury Foreman, co-starring, among others, Otto Kruger, released this date in 1934.

Hollywood Citizen News – Film-Flam by Sidney Skolsky: “Lucille Ball always confused producer, Edward Kaufman and Edward Small. The other night at Lucey’s, she met Eddie Small and said to him: ‘I’m always confusing you with that egg, Eddie Small,’” published this date in 1937.

San Francisco Chronicle, Jimmie Fidler: “Una Merkel and Lucille Ball are remotely related to George Washington and to each other – both are decendants of Lucinda Ball, a cousin of the first President of the United States,” published this date in 1939.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS Radio’s The Gulf Screen Guild Theatre: “Tight Shoes”, this date in 1942.

Lucille Ball appears on CBS Radio’s Screen Guild Theater, “It Had to Be You”, on this date in 1948.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s The Bob Hope Show, airing this date in 1949.

Lucille Ball appears with John Lund, CBS Radio’s The Camel Screen Guild Theater, The Trouble with Woman, on this date in 1951.

Lucille Ball appears on Chicago Sunday Tribune Grafic Magazine cover this date in 1953.

NY Sunday Mirror Magazine “The I Love Lucy Story,” Hy Goldberg: “At Chatsworth, the arrival of Desi, Jr., turned the household upside down. Lucie’s nurse became overprotective . . . they had to let her go and search for a replacement,” published this date in 1953.

(“I Love Lucy”) “The Diner” - Ricky having enough of show business, the foursome buy a diner (Bill’s Place, sold to them by Mr. Watson) they promptly rename: “A Little Bit of Cuba/A Big Hunk of America”, in which a large pie fight occurs, supporting cast members James Burke, Alberto Calderone, as patron; Don Garner, Marco Rizo episode airs this date in 1954.

Edward Arnold, b. 2/18, appears with Lucille Ball, 1933; with Lucille and William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1946; with Lucille and Desi Arnaz, A Star Is Born World Premiere, 1954; with Lucille, That's Entertainment, 1974; as well as with Lucille, archivally, Entertaining the Troops, 1994, dies this date in 1956.

The Daily Mirror - Larry Harnisch Reflects on Los Angeles History- 5/22/2010 - Los Angeles Times File Photo” - “Lucille Ball autographs cast on broken wrist of Edith King, her dance routine partner in the Broadway musical Wildcat. Miss King was hurt trying to catch Miss Ball when the latter fainted on the stage”, published this date in 1961.

Keith Thibodeaux, (Lucy’s ‘Little Ricky’”) appears on The Andy Griffith Show “Opie and the Carnival”, on this date in 1965.

Lucille Ball appears on Girl Talk, Virginia Graham, Hostess, airing this date in 1968.

Broderick Crawford, b. 12/9, Lucille Ball early film-career friend; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1939; guest co-star, Desilu Productions', Here's Hollywood, 1962, as well as appears with Lucille, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1971, dies this date in 1986.

Variety: “Lucy Continues to Recover from Surgery,” published beginning this date in 1989.

Lucille Ball dies at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center 5:04 a.m. at the age of 77 (and per her wishes, there is no funeral - she is later interred at Forest Lawn Cemetery – ultimately finally placed in the Family Plot, Lakeview Cemetery, along with DeDe, her mother, in Jamestown, NY, Lucille and DeDe’s hometown, in 2004), announced this date in 1989.

NY Post Special Edition Poster: “Lucy Dies,” published this date in 1989.

LA Times: “Lucille Ball Dies at 77,” published this date in 1989.

NY Daily News: Lucille Ball appears on the cover, published this date in 1989.

El Diario: Lucille Ball appears on the cover, published this date in 1989.

Syndicated Entertainment Tonight: “The Death of Lucille Ball” Mary Hart and John Tesh, hosts, scrap the normal format and devote the entire program to Lucille Ball’s passing, airing this date in 1989.

Paley Center for Media - Lucille Ball is mourned publicly on CBS’ News Special: “Ball: Life and Career” – reporting from Los Angeles, David Browning - [Lucille’s long-time network cancels regular programming to salute her on the evening of her passing] - Dan Rather, subdued with emotion, hosts a loving tribute to Lucille, and star friend interviewees - one of whom is William S. Paley, CBS Chief - are also shyly subdued speaking on camera about her; almost nothing of a personal nature is mentioned, airing this date in 1989.

Marion Strong Van Vlack, b. 4/30, Lucille Ball life-long friend, and Jamestown Mayor, Steven B. Carlson, plan to attend Lucille’s funeral; but, discovering there is to be no funeral, Marion plants a lilac and two pink peony bushes, as those are Lucille’s favorites, in her backyard at 168 Hallock Street, Jamestown, NY, this date in 1989.

Desert Sun (Palm Springs), Jack Garner: “Lucy, We Had a Ball,” published this date in 1989.

Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum –Latest News – “The “Women of Distinction” traveling exhibit, featuring famous New York women – including Lucille Ball and Eleanor Roosevelt – will open at the National Soaring Museum in Elmira, NY, published in 2007.

April 27

Audrey Christie, film and stage actress having many intersecting career roles, not only with Lucille Ball (Without Love - played same role, on stage); originated two roles both Lucille and Vivian played, Miriam Aarons; but with, Eve Arden, (Mame); Bea Arthur, (Mame); Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz); between roles and actual co-starring parts, such as Voice of the Turtle and Ziegfeld Follies, both film and stage; both stage and film roles, The Unsinkable Molly Brown,1964; in which she co-starred with Lucy veteran supporting cast member, Kathryn Card; (for which Lucille was considered a stage part); Mame, both stage and film; on stage, with Vivian, Let's Face It, 1941; guest, Desilu Productions', Fair Exchange, 1962, Desilu Studios-filmed Slattery's People, 1965; co-star with Lucille in Mame, as Mrs. Upson, 1974; co-star, Bea Arthur, Maude, 1975; co-star, with Vance, Over Easy 1977, is born this date in 1911.

Jack Klugman, of Quincy, M.D. fame, guest appears Desilu Productions', The Walter Winchell File, 1959, The Untouchables, 1961, 1963; appears with Lucie Arnaz and Lucille Ball, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977; appears with Lucille, Lucy Moves to NBC, 1980; with Lucie, The 35th Annual Tony Awards, 1981; with Lucie, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; with Desi Arnaz, American Masters: Rod Serling: Submitted for Your Approval, and with Lucille and Desi, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; as well as with Lucille, via archival footage You Know The Face, 2009, is born this date in 1922.

“Boston Transcript” D.W.B. “Tunes, Girls, and Gusto” - Vivian Vance - (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), published this date in 1926.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Paramount Pictures', Hold 'Em Yale, as Sunshine Joe, co-starring Buster Crabbe, Andy Devine, Cesar Romero, and Lon Chaney, Jr., among many others, released on this date in 1935.

Hollywood Citizen News, Sidney Skolsky: “Victor Mature may go to RKO on a loanout with Lucille Ball in White, Hot and Blue,” published this date in 1942.

Desi Arnaz entered into active military service on this date in 1943.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball (of fire) deserves an acre of orchids for a certain hospital deed she has been doing for a long time but, we won’t tell you what it is because, we’re not supposed to know . . .” published this date in 1945.

Lucille Ball appears in Radio Screen Guild Theater, “Too Many Husbands”, co-starring with Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra, one of their few appearances together, on this date in 1947.

The Washington Post: “Lucille Ball wonders why people won't let movie stars be people, too,” published this date in 1947.

William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), appears in Kill the Umpire, among many others; as well as Chuck Hamilton, character actor/stuntman, released on this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball appears in Life Magazine this date in 1953.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Hires a Maid” - Lucy exhausted from staying up with the baby, Ricky hires a maid, with supporting cast member, Verna Felton, airing this date in 1953.

LA Examiner, Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), “Wife Sheds ‘High Living’ Mate,” published this date in 1959.

Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse - The Untouchables, part two; Jack Aldworth, Associate Producer,with Charles West, Art Department, starring Neville Brand, as Al Capone; Robert Stack, as Elliot Ness, and Keenan Wynn, airing this date in 1959.

Desilu Studios'-filmed, Make Room for Daddy “Danny's Big Fan”, starring Danny Thomas, Marjorie Lord, Rusty Hamer, Angela Cartwright, co-starring Frank Nelson; among others; Sheldon Leonard, Producer/Director, with W. Argyle Nelson, Production Supervisor and James A. Paisley, Production Manager, airs this date in 1959.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Enters a Baking Contest” - a pie-baking contest turns into pie throwing, the final Lucy Show written by long-time writing team, M. Pugh Martin and B. Carroll, Jr., writing for Lucille since My Favorite Husband ‘days,’ after 16 years of working relationships and friendships, and will not write for Lucille again until 1970, airing this date in 1964.

Tom Tully, b. 8/21; star, as Honeyman, of The Lineup fame; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz) 1946, 1949; guest, Desilu Productions' Cavalcade of America, 1952; Desilu Studios-filmed, Make Room for Daddy 1953; Desilu Productions' The Untouchables, 1963; as well as Desilu Studios-filmed, The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967, dies this date in 1982.

Desert Sun Magazine (Palm Springs), John Horn: “Ruptured Artery Kills Beloved TV Redhead,” published this date in 1989.

NY Times, Peter B. Flint: Lucy obituary: “Spirited Doyenne of TV Comedy,” published this date in 1989.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California): “She’ll Always Be Lucy,” published this date in 1989.

LA Times, Charles Champlin and Howard Rosenberg: “Everybody Loved Lucy,” published this date in 1989.

Hollywood Reporter, Howard Burns: “Lucy Obit: Thanks Lucy . . .” published this date in 1989.

Desert Sun (Riverside, California), Lauralee Mencum: “Valley Friends Share Memories of Lucy,” published this date in 1989.

Press-Enterprise, (Riverside, California): “How We Loved Lucy,” published this date in 1989.

Press-Enterprise, (Riverside, California): “Lucille Ball Dies,” published this date in 1989.

LA Times, Charles Champlin: “Everybody Loved Lucy: Lucille Ball Made It All Look Spontaneous,” published this date in 1989.

LA Times, Howard Rosenberg: “Everybody Loved Lucy: She Set the Standard for Situation Comedy,” published this date in 1989.

Jamestown, NY – “Lucy-Desi Center Offers Free Event For World Laughter Day!”- The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center, as part of its mission “to enrich the world through the healing powers of love and laughter”, joins communities around the world in celebration of World Laughter Day [created in 1998 by Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga movement in Mumbai, India, recognizing laughter as the universal language]. May 4, the doors open for a ‘Laugh ‘n’ Lunch Break’ in the Tropicana Room above the Desilu Playhouse/Rapaport Center, announced this date in 2007.

Jamestown NY Radio Station SE93, plays the 1950’s Arnaz Family audio advertisement for the March of Dimes, to fight polio, one day prior to the Radio Station Walk-America, to be held April 28, for the March of Dimes to save babies, re-broadcast this date in 2007.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY – Lucy [sic] Arnaz to Visit Jamestown in May – “Lucie Arnaz is headliner, for Lucy-Desi Days 2007, scheduled for May 25 and 26, among some 40 other events for the two-day celebration in downtown Jamestown NY. Lucie will make two appearances at the Reg Lenna Civic Center, a Legacy of Laughter Event, and ‘Lucie Arnaz in Concert: a Daughter’s Tribute,” as well as the ribbon-cutting at the Desi Arnaz Band Shell in Lucille Ball Memorial Park in Celoron NY,” published this date in 2007.

The Lucy Lounge Website - bweir: “Courtesy of Mickie in the Marathon Thread: (“I Love Lucy”) is returning to the Hallmark Channel daily schedule starting tomorrow, April 28, daily, from nine a.m. until noon - three hours every day. Hallmark has also added another (“I Love Lucy”) Marathon on Sunday, May 2, from six a.m. to four a.m., 22 hours!!!”, posted this date in 2010.

The Latest From Everthing Lucy Blog – “(“I Love Lucy”) Returns to Hallmark - Hallmark previously removed (“I Love Lucy”) from scheduling; but, are bringing it back! Beginning Wednesday, April 28, it returns, airing weekdays from 9 a.m. - noon. The first episode, “The Girls Want to Go to a Nightclub”, and more good news, a 'marathon' (“I Love Lucy”) is extended to 6 a.m. to 4 a.m., May 2 - 22 hours!” posted this date in 2010.

The Latest From Everthing Lucy Blog – “(' Love Lucy') - The Movie, and Other Great Rarities, Out Today on DVD - In 1953, three classic first season (' Love Lucy') episodes ('The Benefit', 'Breaking the Lease', and 'The Ballet') were edited together, with newly-filmed, connecting scenes to create a feature-length film. The film had only one single 'test' screening that year [Research Note:] with Lucille and Desi Arnaz present for viewing, and was put back on a shelf, in a mislabelled cannister, lost for half a century. It was discovered, after much searching, by Dann Cahn, Lucy Editor, in the Paramount vault, who has retrieved it, and it will now be seen again. The 'rarities' include: 'Lucy Goes to Scotland', A TV Academy PSA, The Series 'Premiere' opening, and an animated commercial. A few weeks ago, another Lucy DVD was released 'Lucy Calls the President'. This was a CBS Special from 1977, featuring most of the regulars from that show, as well as the final appearance of Lucille and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), who became very ill soon after the filming of this special. This additionally was the last time Lucille worked with Mary Jane Croft and Mary Wickes. Lucille had only recently lost her beloved mother, DeDe, and was visibly distraught at her mother's absence in the audience, as she had ALWAYS been.” posted this date in 2010.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear, achivally, Frontline, “The Vaccine War”, examining both sides of the debate over vaccines. One side: public health community - wholeheartedly endorses vaccines; Other side - parents and politicians accuse them of causing disorders like autism, airing this date in 2010.

April 28

Lionel Barrymore, Lucille Ball early film-career friend; appears via archival footages with Lucille, The Big Parade of Comedy, 1964; as well as You Know the Face, both via archival footage, 2009, is born this date in 1878.

Carolyn Jones, guest co-star, Desilu Productions’ Wire Service, 1957; as well as Here’s Hollywood, 1961, is born this date in 1930.

LA Evening Herald Express, Jimmy Starr: “Lucille Ball is latest victim of a bathtub accident, having made a rather comic spill, dislocating four vertebrae. She is now in a plaster and adhesive tape cast, and informed the studio she will be unable to appear before the cameras until May 10,” published this date in 1938.

Ann-Margret appears with Desi Arnaz IV, in Dean Martin, Matt Helm film, Murderers’ Row, 1966; appears with Lucille Ball, Jack Benny’s Birthday Special, and Lucille guests with Ann Margret: From Hollywood with Love, 1969; appears with Lucille, in Swing Out, Sweet Land, with many other stars, 1970; Lucille's guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”), as herself, 1970; guests with Lucille, Happy Birthday, Bob, 1978; guests with Lucille, Night of 100 Stars II, and archivally, That's Dancing,1985; as well as guests with Lucille, Hostess, America’s Tribute to Bob Hope, 1988; is born this date in 1941.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on NBC Radio’s The Eddie Cantor Show, “It’s Time to Smile” this date in 1943.

Lucille Ball and Peggy Lee appear on NBC Radio’s The Jimmy Durante Show, “Women In Industry” this date in 1948.

Lucille Ball appears on NBC Radio’s Screen Guild Theater, “Bachelor Mother”, this date in 1949.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra perform (“I Love Lucy”) “The Freezer” - acquired from Ethel’s butcher uncle and Lucy gets locked in – hilariously - with veteran Lucy supporting cast members, Bennett Green, Desi Arnaz’ stand-in; Fred Aldrich, Barbara Pepper Hazel Pierce; with guest cast members, Frank Sully and Kay Wiley, airs this date in 1952.

CBS’ The Lucy Show – 30-minutes, black & white – this is not a misprint, nor Miss Ball’s classic 1960’s sitcom. The re-runs of (“I Love Lucy”) on Sundays had done so well for CBS they decide to add this extra night of (“I Love Lucy”) re-runs on Saturdays in the very early evening. New graphics are made to reflect the change of title and sponsor this date in 1956.

Desilu Productions', The Greatest Show on Earth “You're All Right, Ivy”, starring Jack Palance, as Johnny Slate, co-starring, Joan Blondell, Joe E. Brown, Buster Keaton, Lynn Loring, and Barbara Pepper, among others, airs this date in 1964.

Desilu Productions', Desi executive producer, The Mothers-in-Law, “How Not To Manage A Rock Group”; co-stars, Joe Besser, as Band Leader, among others, with regular cast members, airs this date in 1968.

CBS’ The Lucy Show - While each of Lucille Ball’s series has always gone on summer hiatus, selected re-runs of the show are aired in prime time instead of a summer replacement series, commencing March 24. The remaining weeks are re-runs for the first time in color from the series’ last three seasons (1965-68) on this date in 1969.

Ed Begley, Sr., b. 3/25; Oscar-winning supporting character actor; Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960; and The Lucy Show 1966, dies this date in 1970.

Desert Magazine (Palm Springs): “Lucy’s Legacy: 193 Episodes of TV Classics,” published this date in 1989.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California), Jerry Buck: “Lucille Ball Pioneered Innovative TV Techniques,” published this date in 1989.

Press-Enterprise (Riverside, California): Ron Harris: “Little Ricky, Now 38, Remembers Lucy as Surrogate Mom,” published this date in 1989.

Newsday: “Tributes,” is published this date in 1989.

Lucille Ball’s cremains, (until 2004, when they were returned to Jamestown NY, with her mother, DeDe’s and placed in the Ball-Hunt Section of Lakeview Cemetery) were interred at Forest Lawn Cemetery, Hollywood Hills, this date in 1989.

CBS' Television Movie (“I Love Lucy”): The Very First Show, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, nominated for a Primetime Emmy; the original unaired pilot episode of the classic sitcom, with Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz IV, narrating; Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, in archival footage, as the Ricardos; Jerry Hausner, veteran cast member, in archival footage; Bob LeMond, voice narration, and Pepito Perez, via arhival footage; released by Paramount Home Video DVD in 2002, airing this date in 1990.

Rory Calhoun, b. 8/8; star, Desilu Production’s The Texan, 1958, guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1959; Desilu Production’s, Land’s End, 1968, as well as co-star, Desi Arnaz, IV, 1977, dies this date in 1999.

TV Land Moguls – “The 50’s” – A documentary hosted by Merv Griffin - Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, and one of their many supporting cast members, and long-time friend, Sheldon Leonard, among many others, the three appearing in archival footage(s), airing this date in 2004.

April 29

Duke Ellington, with his world-famous Orchestra, perform in Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, Paramount, Murder at the Vanities 1934, is born this date in 1899.

Don Loper, Lucille Ball early-career co-star, 1944; (“I Love Lucy”), 1955; is born this date in 1906.

Richard Carlson, of (“I Led Three Lives”) television fame of the 1950s, and one of the co-stars in Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz’ first movie, RKO Radio’s, Too Many Girls, 1940; as well as with Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1951, is born this date in 1912.

Celeste Holm, appears with Lucille Ball, Swing Out, Sweet Land, with many other stars, 1970; appears with Desi Arnaz IV, Salute to Oscar Hammerstein II, 1972; as well with Lucie Arnaz, Night of 100 Stars, 1982; announces her retirement in 2009, after starring in her final film, My Guaranteed Student Loan, due to film in Illinois and Manhattan, appearing with Katharine Luckinbill, daughter of Lucie Arnaz and Laurence Luckinbill; granddaughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, is born this date in 1917.

LA Examiner, I Cover Hollywood, Lloyd Pantages: “Ginger Rogers’ burning desire is to be a great dramatic actress. So, since RKO will only cast her as a glorified chorus girl, she’s understudying Lucille Ball in Leila (sic) Rogers’ studio play Breakfast With Venora (sic),” published this date in 1936.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Vacation Time,” episode #42, produced and directed by Jess Oppenheimer; written by Jess Oppenheimer, Madelyn Pugh & Bob Carroll, Jr., featuring Ruth Perrott, as Katy the Maid, original music by Marlin Skiles; conducted by Wilbur Hatch; announcer, Bob LeMond, sponsored by General Foods, JELL-O; with veteran supporting cast member, Frank Nelson, with Wally Maher and Milton Stark, airing this date in 1949.

(“I Love Lucy”) “Lucy Raises Tulips” - hilarious episode finding Lucy riding a bulky lawn mower; losing control and mowing down rival, Betty Ramsey’s, veteran supporting cast member, Mary Jane Croft, prize tulips destined for judging by the Garden Club, and which Lucy replaces with wax tulips; also starring Keith Thibodeaux, as Little Ricky, Eleanor Audley, and Peter Brocco, airs this date in 1957.

Eve Plumb, Brady Bunch, Jan, until 1974; Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1972, is born this date in 1958.

The Lucy Show “Lucy Buys a Boat” - Lucy and Ethel buy a wreck, fix it up, and put it in the water, with predicted hilarious results, airing this date in 1963.

Lucille Ball appears on The David Frost Show, with Arte Johnson, Jim Nabors, and Donald Sutherland, on this date in 1971.

Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz) make guest appearances on Dinah! - a hilarious Syndicated television program, - discuss and reveal things their television years together had never been made public - Vivian totally upstaging Lucille, airing this date in 1975.

Lucie Arnaz co-stars, as Toni Elgin; with Richardo Montalban and Herve Villechaize, Fantasy Island, “Reunion/Anniversary”, also co-starring Robert Alda, Jim Backus, and Ronny Cox, among many others, airing on this date in 1978.

Press-Enterprise, (Riverside, California), Lee Siegel: “Disease That Hit Lucy Can Be Among the Most Painful Known,” published this date in 1989.

Press-Enterprise, (Riverside, California): “Specific Diseases That Killed Lucy,’ published this date in 1989.

Lucy! TV’s Comedy Queen, The Donna Kanter Company Documentary, directed and written by Donna Kanter; with archive footage of Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz; with Wanda Clark, Lucille's 25-year-plus secretary; Tom Gilbert, Lucy author; Irma Kusely, Gregg Oppenheimer, Bob Schiller, and Michael Stern, is broadcast this date in 2003.

Talking Television Internet Radio KSAV, with Dave White: Second Interview of Lucy author, Michael Karol, airing both the 22nd and today, in LA, regarding his Lucy A to Z: The Lucille Ball Encyclopedia, as well as Lucille Ball's career and other things; with commercials featuring Dino, Desi [Desi Arnaz IV] and Billy, plugging RC Cola; and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), as Maxine, the Maxwell House Coffee spokesperson, this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - “Lucy & Ethel To Host Dinner Parties, Trivia Contest” – Diane Vincent, a Lucy Ricardo impressionist, and her sidekick, actress Rhonda Medina, playing Ethel Mertz, will welcome guests from across the country to celebrate (“I Love Lucy”) during Lucy-Desi Days 2008, published this date in 2008.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - “Lucy-Desi, Arts Council To Present Late Night Laughs” – “There will be even more laughs during Lucy-Desi Days in May thanks to a collaoration between Festival presenters and the Arts Council for Chautauqua County, which join forces to present Late Night Laughs at three different venues during the Memorial Day Weekend,” published this date in 2008.

TheLucyLounge blogspot – Desi Arnaz, Jr.’s wife, Amy, reports: “Two weeks ago, Lucie Arnaz directed Suzanne LaRusch in “An Evening With Lucille Ball” at our theatre in Boulder City, Nevada. Desi, and his theatre crew, did a great job building the set and working out all the technicalities”, posted this date in 2009.

Marl Young, b. 1/29; Lucille Ball musical director, The Lucy Show, taking over from Wilbur Hatch, continuing for all episodes of (“Here’s Lucy”), as well as the soundtrack for one 1969 episode Desilu Productions’ Mission: Impossible, dies this date in 2009.

April 30

Dick Elliott, Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1938, 1944; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1952; (“I Love Lucy”), 1954, 1956; Desilu Productions', Cavalcade of America,1956; Desilu Studios-filmed The Real McCoys, 2 episodes, 1959, 1960, as well as Desilu Productions', December Bride, 1957, 1958, 1959, is born this date in 1886.

Eve Arden, star, Radio and Desilu Productions’, Our Miss Brooks; Lucille Ball early-film career co-star, 1937, 1938; co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy’s Ethel Mertz), on stage, 1941; co-star, William Frawley (Lucy's Fred Mertz), 1950; with Lucille, Stars in Their Eye, 1952; Desilu Productions', Our Miss Brooks 131 episodes, 1952-1956; (“I Love Lucy”), 1955; cast member, Desi Arnaz' Productions', The Mothers-in-Law, 44 episodes, 1967-69; appears, among many others, Thalians' Tribute, honoring Lucille, as the first “Mrs. Wonderful”, 1974; with Lucille and Desi, CBS: On the Air, 1978; as well as guest, (“I Love Lucy”) 50th Anniversary Special, 2001, is born this date in 1908.

Al Lewis, as Grandpa on The Munsters until 1966; Lucille Ball guest co-star, (“Here’s Lucy”), 1973, and as well as appearing with Lucille, via archival footage, 50 Years of Funny Females 1995, is born this date in 1910.

Marion Strong Van Vlack, one of Lucille Ball’s life-long friends and early-film-career roommate in NYC, mentioned many times in (“I Love Lucy”) episodes, is born this date in 1911.

William Frawley, (Lucy’s Fred Mertz) stars in Central Theater’s, The Gingham Girl, as Jack Hayden, opening this date in 1923.

Cloris Leachman, guest, Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse, 1960; Desilu Productions', The Untouchables, 1961, 1962, Here's Hollywood 1962, The Guns of Will Sonnett, 1967, Mannix, 1968; Kraft Mystery Theater, 1962; appears with Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), via archive footages, 50 Years of Funny Females, 1995; as well as with Lucille and Vivian, via archival footage, TV's Greatest Sidekicks, 2004, is born this date in 1926.

Lucille Ball, on one of her visits to Jamestown, urges Marion Strong, her friend, to travel to NYC with her, as a roommate in the Kimberly Hotel; get a job; and Marion celebrated her twentieth birthday in NYC, this date in 1931.

LA Daily News, RKO Players Have New Show - Harry Barnes: “Lucille Ball gives a fine performance in the leading role in Breakfast With Vanora, the second production of Lela Rogers’ RKO Radio Drama School Little Theater - plays given free of charge to the public,” published this date in 1936.

Gary Collins, co-star, Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1972; as well as appears with Lucille Ball and Lucie Arnaz, Circus of the Stars #2, 1977, is born this date in 1938.

Film Daily, Palm Springs Weekend (Picture People), RKO: “A roster of celebrities is assembled at Palm Springs, favorite resort of the Hollywood set. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz go bicycling, many other stars are playing some sport or another,” published this date in 1942.

Desi Arnaz joined the Hollywood Victory Caravan, a trainload of twenty-two major stars, plus eight starlets and a troup of musicians and technicians, on a two-month national tour to benefit the Army and Navy Relief, while Lucille Ball was busy filming The Big Street, in 1942.

Desi Arnaz and Orchestra record for RCA Victor, in Hollywood, California, “Un Poquito De Amor”, “I Love to Dance” and “Made for Each Other”, this date in 1947.

Lucille Ball and co-star, Richard Denning, appear, My Favorite Husband “Spring Housecleaning,” episode #86, airing this date in 1950.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appear on Colliers Magazine cover, by famous Broadway and Hollywood caricaturist, Al Hirschfeld, published this date in 1954.

(“I Love Lucy”)“The Golf Game,” a re-run, with new footage of Ricky and Fred in Nice, France, swinging golf clubs and Lucy saying she didn’t come to Europe to be a golf widow, this date in 1956.

TV Guide – “The Lucy Show” (Review): “The show itself is a variable. No one can move faster and funnier than Lucy; no one can plot to outwit the ‘enemy’ more keenly. The best of the lot so far was New Year’s Eve, rising from a simple source, the daughter didn’t want mother home when she was having a party,” this date in 1963.

“Ronald Searle Sketches Lucille Ball” (Searle, an illustrator, cartoonist, caricaturist for 50 years) appears on TV Guide cover this week in 1966.

Agnes Moorehead, b. 12/6; Lucille Ball early film-career co-star, 1942, and many-years friend; co-star, and good friend to Vivian Vance (Lucy's Ethel Mertz), 1951; guest co-star; Desilu Productions Harrigan & Son, 1960; You Don’t Say, 1964; as well as The Greatest Show on Earth, 1964, dies this date in 1974.

Films in Review: Review of Mame, published in 1974.

CBS’ - The Lucie Arnaz Show, “Larry Writes The Songs”, starring Lucie Arnaz, as Jane Lucas, co-starring Lee Bryant, as Jill; Karen Jablons-Alexander, as Loretta; Tony Roberts, as Jim Gordon; as well as Todd Waring, as Larry Love; each appearing in 6 episodes, with guest co-star, Ray DeMattis, as Vitto, airs this date in 1985.

Press-Enterprise, (Riverside, California): “The Laughter Lucy Gave Us Helps Us Wash Away the Tears,” published this date in 1989.

LA Times Herald Examiner, “Lucy: The Legend: The Birth of America’s Favorite TV Comedy,” published this date in 1989.

LA Times calendar section, Gloria Haithman: “The Industry’s Debt to Lucy,” published this date in 1989.

Boston Globe, “Tomlin on Stage,” published this date in 1989.

CBS' (“I Love Lucy”) The Very First Show – First airing of the “long-lost” pilot episode since its original airing date in the 1950s, this date in 1990.

ABC Special Report - Barbara Walters and guests: “A Celebration: 100 Years of Great Women,” published this date in 1999.

Tom Poston, b. 10/17; One-of-Six Headliner(s) for the Lucy-Desi Memorial Day Festival in Jamestown, NY, 1997, dies this date in 2007.

Wow, never knew ILL director Marc Daniels died just thre days before Lucy. And Ruth Berle, Milton's wife about a week before Lucy also. Was also shocked to see actress Paulette Godard, once married tio Charlie Chaplin i think, died one year after Lucy, thought she had gone much earlier.

April 25th, for Yours mine and ours, you could have added that it was Lucy's biggest commercial HIT ever, gross of 20 million in theaters alone. For Bea Arthur, Bea also starred with Lucy in a great sequence of CBS ON The Air, i think their 50th anniversary where both ladies come out in a burlesque style routine, then don evening gowns but end up getting pies in the face at the end, truly surprising and quite memorable.

For Lionel Barrymore, he once lived in Lucy's guest house in Chatsworth and his cigarettes caused a fire that burned it down, Lucy heard the sound of dying cats burned alive in there although Lionel got out. For Agness Moorehead you could add that she was also one of Lucy's neighbors on Roxbury Drive as were Jimmy Stewart, Jack Benny, Rosemary Clooney, Polly Bergen, Gershwin and Peter Falk among others. Loved your mention of Celeste Holm, just saw her at an event and she looks old but still beautiful at an advanced age.

For Lionel Barrymore, he once lived in Lucy's guest house in Chatsworth and his cigarettes caused a fire that burned it down, Lucy heard the sound of dying cats burned alive in there although Lionel got out. For Agness Moorehead you could add that she was also one of Lucy's neighbors on Roxbury Drive as were Jimmy Stewart, Jack Benny, Rosemary Clooney, Polly Bergen, Gershwin and Peter Falk among others. Loved your mention of Celeste Holm, just saw her at an event and she looks old but still beautiful at an advanced age.

Thought the fire in the pool house was caused by Orson Welles; will go back and try to verify; thanks for the poop about Bea; and for ALL your 'additions' - ALL that can be verified will, of course, be added....keep 'em coming, I kNOW you willll....Love, JK

Thought the fire in the pool house was caused by Orson Welles; will go back and try to verify; thanks for the poop about Bea; and for ALL your 'additions' - ALL that can be verified will, of course, be added....keep 'em coming, I kNOW you willll....Love, JK

No, it was definitely Lionel Barrymore, father of John and Ethel, the famous acting family. Orson also stayed in the guesthouse but his stay might have been in the Roxbury drive mansion as he was said to have scared the help to death, as he could be such a tyrant, and Lucy did not have staff in Chatsworth, maybe only nannies when the kids came. The Lionel story comes from a Lucy biography, i remembered it because of the cats and the fire being caused by a lit cigarette. I might have the anniversary year qwrong for Bea and Lucy, it was a famous CBS anniversary special but could have been 25 as you mention the 50th one a little further down and that was much later, after Lucy had passed on as a matter of fact whereas 25 years would be just about the time Lucy and Bea ruled TV with Lucy being it's biggest star and Maude being on TV or even a bit before they co starred in Mame together.

No, it was definitely Lionel Barrymore, father of John and Ethel, the famous acting family. Orson also stayed in the guesthouse but his stay might have been in the Roxbury drive mansion as he was said to have scared the help to death, as he could be such a tyrant, and Lucy did not have staff in Chatsworth, maybe only nannies when the kids came. The Lionel story comes from a Lucy biography, i remembered it because of the cats and the fire being caused by a lit cigarette. I might have the anniversary year qwrong for Bea and Lucy, it was a famous CBS anniversary special but could have been 25 as you mention the 50th one a little further down and that was much later, after Lucy had passed on as a matter of fact whereas 25 years would be just about the time Lucy and Bea ruled TV with Lucy being it's biggest star and Maude being on TV or even a bit before they co starred in Mame together.

Thanks for this, Claude. You are a dear friend....Love, JK

Thanks for this, Claude. You are a dear friend....Love, JK

Well, you're no CHOPPED LIVER yourself there you little DOLL! I think even in Tannen's book Lucy told Lee when passing the guest house part of the Roxbury mansion that Orson Welles had driven her help NUTS with his constant demands so Orson guest house in BH and Lionel guest house in Chatsworth.

Seeing as this week is the anniversary of Lucy's passing, let me take this opportunity to thank you, dearest Joyce, for this terrific chronology that you have spent so many years working on and to tell you how much we appreciate all your hard work and what a joy is it is to have a record of everything you list as part of Lucy's life and the people she associated with in any way. It's a great READ and quite enjoyable and informative also. Thanks on behalf of all of us here at The Lounge who are privileged to enjoy a section of this each and every day of the year. :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::gasp::ill::luciedesi:

Seeing as this week is the anniversary of Lucy's passing, let me take this opportunity to thank you, dearest Joyce, for this terrific chronology that you have spent so many years working on and to tell you how much we appreciate all your hard work and what a joy is it is to have a record of everything you list as part of Lucy's life and the people she associated with in any way. It's a great READ and quite enjoyable and informative also. Thanks on behalf of all of us here at The Lounge who are privileged to enjoy a section of this each and every day of the year. :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::gasp::ill::luciedesi:

Just trying to keep her diary up-to-date! BUT....thanks so much for the kind words. It's been a 'labor of love', Lucy....!!!!

Love, JK

Archived