DVR Alerts!

47 minutes ago, Brock said:

Lucie's "Billy Jack Goes to Washington" will be on TCM overnight this evening. 

I wonder if it's the original version. Since the movie underwent so much tinkering and many delays, there was a lot of footage cut. The DVD is edited. I wonder if any of Lucie's scenes were cut and, if so, will be restored. 

• 3 weeks later...

On Dec. 3rd at 4:30 am (yes AM!!), "The Joey Bishop Show" will feature Mr. and Mrs. Jack Carter, our own Paula Stewart.   I looked up Paula on imdb and her bio ends with this statement  "More recently, Paula had a radio show on KCLA-FM that features Hollywood celebrities and other people with interesting careers."

Does anyone know about this radio show?  And I wonder what they mean by "more recently". 

I don't know what to make of "The Joey Bishop Show".  It's not BAD but there's nothing to draw you to it.  After the first season, filmed single-cam style in black-and-white,  in which Joey lived with his mother Madge Blake and his extended family (including "sister" Marlo Thomas), season 2 was completely revamped.  Season 1's supporting cast was gone and the show started filming in front of an audience (at Desilu, of course).  Joey was now a TV host with wife Abby Dalton.  This format continued for 2 seasons on NBC in color.   Dropped by NBC in 1964, CBS picked it up for one last season (continuing the same format) airing at 9:30 on Sunday opposite the #1 rated Bonanza.  Its success depended completely on its lead-in: Bob Cummings' new gimmicky comedy My Living Doll (with Julie Newmar as a robot!).  I don't know what CBS was thinking.   Despite having 123 episodes (70 or so in color), "Joey" had NO syndication life. (I'm only guessing this from listings in my old TV Guides). 

"Joey" has the distinction of being the only series I know of, that started in b/w, went to color, then back to b/w (for its CBS season.)   The format and set, post Madge Blake-season, are  similar to "The Danny Thomas Show"---Danny and Sheldon Leonard produced it.  Someone in the know told me that the series, never a ratings grabber, continued to be renewed in order to placate producer Sheldon Leonard.   If this is the case, why couldn't Lucy use her Desilu muscle to get Ethel Merman's Maggie Brown on the air? --not to mention one of the other sitcom pilots Desilu was churning out. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, rickylu said:

If you expected tabloid tv, you wouldn't be far off. Topics ranging from her teenage "mystery illness" to the "loser interview" were brought up. And I don't want to give too much away, but she was a heavy smoker. 🙄

Missed the first half. Will catch on repeat. Intervewed people we know, Michael Karol, Kathleen Brady, Lee Tannen and super happy, Paula Stewart. Laughed so hard at Lee and Paula being interviewed in this due to their bad blood.

Gee Lee, if you didn't introduce Lucy to those salt heavy "slushies", Paula wouldn't have had to keep yelling at Gary to stop making them for her because a lady with high blood pressure needs more salt.

The reenactments seemed a bit creepy to me.

Nice to have a doctor weigh in on the illness pretty much not being RA.

Yes, the re-enactments were a little weird.  Especially the actor playing Gary Morton!  Lee and Paula: now THERE'S a sitcom idea. 

"World Renown Forensic Pathologist"?    I think this title was bestowed upon him by the same entity that deemed "I Married Joan" "AMERICA'S FAVORITE COMEDY SHOW" and Joan Davis as "AMERICA'S QUEEN OF COMEDY". The original IMJ opening credits had the announcer blaring these debatable achievements  over the title card of "I Married Joan" after the initial singing of the theme song.  During the announcer's dubious claims, the "chorale" faded out, then faded back in for "WITH JIM BACKUS".   For the prints currently being run, all that "America's favorite..." stuff is cut.   

What does "RA" mean as in "weigh in on the illness pretty much not being RA." ?

The other thing that really pissed me off was they were trying to insinuate that Lucy had a drinking problem. Drinking alcohol at a party, friends house or at home can be done without having a problem. 

When they got to the Dexedrine part the doctor kept saying that he found no evidence that Lucy took it later in life. Now I don't know if Paula didn't elaborate, or if she did and it was cut out. But in her book she mentions about finding the drug in Lucy's massive pill supply while setting up the NYC apartment in 1984. So yes, it cold have been left over from many years ago but it also could have been a current drug.  Not that it had anything to do with her heart issue. 

Michael Karol over on his Facebook this weekend mentioned he was interviewed for 3 hours for this and made less that a minute in the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, rickylu said:

I found it kind of humorous that they actually spent time talking about headaches caused by her wigs. 

I forgot about that. I get a headache if I put my ponytail in too tight. I'm not going to have a heart attack over it.

Lucy did get headaches, I've seen her mention it in a few interviews/articles. But they didn't seem out of the ordinary. I don't think they were migraines either, which her mother suffered from terribly. 

8 hours ago, JoeySoCal said:

The part I was most curious about: if not RA what did they "allude" as being the illness/issue? As smarmy as this gave me the impression of it being, sounds like it wasn't as bad as I feared...especially if they didn't broach the potentially botched you-know-what theory! Whew!

It was RA vs rheumatic fever. They leaned more towards it being rheumatic fever because RA is a lifelong condition and Lucy never showed any signs of it later in life. At no time was anything else discussed as to what it could have been.  A car accident, often reported in the 1930s was not brought up. 

Kathleen Brady was interviewed in this special and even weighed in on this part. But it was her book that has the most about this time period alluding to pregnancy. So they could have gone way more tabloid but didn't. 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:58 AM, Luvsbway said:

It was RA vs rheumatic fever. They leaned more towards it being rheumatic fever because RA is a lifelong condition and Lucy never showed any signs of it later in life. At no time was anything else discussed as to what it could have been.  A car accident, often reported in the 1930s was not brought up. 

Kathleen Brady was interviewed in this special and even weighed in on this part. But it was her book that has the most about this time period alluding to pregnancy. So they could have gone way more tabloid but didn't. 

Whew, well that's a relief. :vanda:

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...