The Best of Gale

Since it's Emmy night, I was wondering if you had to select one episode from each season to submit to the Emmy committee for the Lucy cast members what would it be? We've done this for Lucy in the past, but how about the supporting players.

(I know that in the early years the nominations were based on the calendar year rather than the TV season, but I'm just doing it my season here).

These would be my submissions for Gale for Best Supporting Actor.

The Lucy Show:

1963-1964: Lucy Gets Locked in the Vault

1964-1965: Lucy Tries Winter Sports

1965-1966: Lucy, the Choirmaster

1966-1967: Lucy Goes to London

1967-1968: Lucy and the “Boss of the Year” Award

Here’s Lucy:

1968-1969: Lucy the Shopping Expert

1969-1970: Lucy and Harry’s Tonsils

1970-1971: Lucy Meets the Burtons (Runner Up: Lucy’s Vacation)

1971-1972: Lucy’s Replacement

1972-1973: Harrison Carter, Male Nurse

1973-1974: Lucy Plays Cops and Robbers (Runner Up: Lucy Is NG as an RN)

Life with Lucy:

1986-1987: Lucy and the Guard Goose

What would you choose?

Since it's Emmy night, I was wondering if you had to select one episode from each season to submit to the Emmy committee for the Lucy cast members what would it be? We've done this for Lucy in the past, but how about the supporting players.

(I know that in the early years the nominations were based on the calendar year rather than the TV season, but I'm just doing it my season here).

These would be my submissions for Gale for Best Supporting Actor.

The Lucy Show:

1963-1964: Lucy Gets Locked in the Vault

1964-1965: Lucy Tries Winter Sports

1965-1966: Lucy, the Choirmaster

1966-1967: Lucy Goes to London

1967-1968: Lucy and the “Boss of the Year†Award

Here’s Lucy:

1968-1969: Lucy the Shopping Expert

1969-1970: Lucy and Harry’s Tonsils

1970-1971: Lucy Meets the Burtons (Runner Up: Lucy’s Vacation)

1971-1972: Lucy’s Replacement

1972-1973: Harrison Carter, Male Nurse

1973-1974: Lucy Plays Cops and Robbers (Runner Up: Lucy Is NG as an RN)

Life with Lucy:

1986-1987: Lucy and the Guard Goose

What would you choose?

Lucy and the Guard Goose??? The only thing that should be nominated for is WORST Lucy episode of any of her series EVER!! Ugh.

As for Gale's noms, I think I'd replace one of the latter ones -- forget which season it's in -- but the episode where Lucy replaces his former secretary's pottery by taking a pottery class and making him a vase or whatever it was (it's been too long since I've seen it!) that she accidentally broke. :blink:

Although "Lucy and the Guard Goose" might not be one of the better Life with Lucy episodes, I think it (along with "Breaking Up is Hard to Do") contains Gale's best performance on the series.

Gale is marvelous in "Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot," but he actually has a very small role in it. My vote would go for "Harrison Carter, Male Nurse," which, to me, might be the greatest showcase for Gale in the entire series.

Although "Lucy and the Guard Goose" might not be one of the better Life with Lucy episodes, I think it (along with "Breaking Up is Hard to Do") contains Gale's best performance on the series.

Now, there's an understatement! ;)

Yes, I'd vote for "BUIHTD" for the same reason as "Harry's Pot": his role may not have been large but it was the lovely, rare tender moments they shared in those respective episodes that showed not only their on-camera affinity, but their off-screen affection and admiration. Just sayin'. :)

TLS Season 2 -- Lucy Gets Locked In The Vault

Season 3 -- Either Lucy & The Old Mansion or Lucy, The Stockholder

Season 4 -- Lucy & The Countess Have A Horse Guest (Gale's whole performance during the birth scene was fantastic)

Season 5 -- either Lucy & The Ring-A-Ding-Ding or Lucy Flies To London

Season 6 -- Lucy & The Boss of the Year Award (runners up: Lucy Gets Mooney Fired, Lucy the Pool Hustler)

HL Season 1 -- Lucy, The Shopping Expert

Season 2 -- Lucy & Harry's Tonsils

Season 3 -- Lucy Meets The Burtons (runner up: The Unemployment Follies)

Season 4 -- Harry's Italian Bombshell (by a mile!) (Runners up: nearly every single episode of this season. Gale was on fire!)

Season 5 -- Harrison Carter, Male Nurse

Season 6 -- I truly can't decide between Lucy is N.G. as an R.N.,The Not-So-Popular Mechanics, Lucy's Tenant, Cops and Robbers, and Surprise Slumber Party.

LWL -- Guard Goose. :P

• 2 years later...

Archived